FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ATI's on backorder !

Post Date: 2009-11-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
abheysg View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote abheysg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: ATI's on backorder !
    Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 4:30pm
Hi,

I placed an order on Friday and was informed later in the day that the ATI 5870 card's are on backorder :( Not sure if i should wait or look into getting the GTX 295's.

Need input on whether i should wait for the 5870's or go for the GTX 295.  Am i right in understanding that the GTX 295 will not be a DirectX 11 capable card?

Also, in the future i can definitely see myself going for an additional card. Considering that Nvidia will be coming out with the newer GPU some time in the next few weeks, dont know if GTX 295 would be a vice choice for the short to mid term. Please advise! Thanks
BriSleep View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote BriSleep Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 4:45pm
The word has been that the ATI 5870's will be coming in on the 17th but they just put one in my system thursday, tested it and said ship in 0-1 days.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 5:43pm
ok first of all if going Nvidia, you want 2 x 275, its better then 1 x 295, both in price and performance.

right now Nvidia does not have any DX11 cards, but they will announce the Fermi line in DEC and have them out sometime in JAN.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 6:47pm
so says the man who will be $50.00 poorer come Feb. Smile
I have been hearing rumors of April/May   but only solid info shows March.
they are suppose to show off Fermi at CES, and not be a prototype, but just have to wait and see.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 6:55pm
ya, says the man who will be $50 poore come Feb, since they anonnce it in DEC and you can by it some time in JAN can't wait till FEB so I can collect my money

Edited by DST4ME - 14 Nov 2009 at 6:56pm
Pheel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pheel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 7:54pm
I was called yesterday by Eric and told no go on the 5870s until Dec sometime..geez I hope i didn't get steered into the 295s to help clear out stock especially if BriSleep got the 5870Wink
HAF 932
I7 920 OC 3.7GHz
EVGA X58 Classified
12GB DDR3 1600MHz
2x300GB Raptor RAID 0
2 x 5870
LC STAGE 5 CPU & Chip Set
OS WIN 7 64Pro
PSU corsair 1000W
Pheel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pheel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 7:58pm
DST4ME..should I call Monday and if no 5870s switch to the 2x275 instead of the 2x295?  Alex any comments on the 5870 situation?  Thanks
HAF 932
I7 920 OC 3.7GHz
EVGA X58 Classified
12GB DDR3 1600MHz
2x300GB Raptor RAID 0
2 x 5870
OS WIN 7 64Pro
PSU corsair 1000W
sirsiddius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sirsiddius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 7:58pm
NVidia basically fudged up their 3xx series. As the saying goes jack of all trades is master of none. We had Mr. Huang waxing poetic on how Fermi will do everything under the moon short of negotiating world peace, and what does he have to show for it...Nothing. Huang is now he stuck with a mess of a chip that's probably going to be huge leaky, overpriced, and too hot. Granted it probably will be marginally faster than 5870, but it'll significantly more expensive then ATI's offering. Plus by then ATI would have had a whole quarter to work on its supposed 5890 gtx 3xx killer

Anyways back to the topic, I would advise you to wait for the 5870s, if you do get 2 gtx 275s they will be a bit faster than the 5870, but you've basically stifled any viable upgrade paths in the future, where as if you get 1 5870 you will easily be able to drop in another 5870 once prices start to drop. If you get 2 5870s you will blow the gtx 275s out the water and will gain a degree of future proofing that the 275s lacks. It's a basic economic trade-off short term gains over long term loses and vice versa.

Besides an extra couple of days of waiting isn't going to kill you.

PS. I think a January launch of fermi is unreasonably optimistic. With NVidia's cock-up coupled with TSMC's poor yields. Fermi will be mass marked in march at the earliest, and even with it's release i predict it will be uncompetitive with AMD/ATI.
BriSleep View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote BriSleep Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 8:58pm
Well my system has shipped with a 5870 in it and NewEgg keeps sending me messages saying they have one in stock but I'm not concerned with them. Good luck all.
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 10:27pm
abheysg,

It depends on how desparate you are time wise. As general rule, I'm not a fan of ATI, but if you can hold out, I think you should wait for the 5870. If you absolutely need to get your new computer yesterday, I'd think about dumping some mid-range video card in it for now, just to hold you over until you can replace it with a 5870. If that sounds crazy, then just suck it up and wait.
3.6 GHz E6850,       4 GB RAM, GTS 250,   TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit
BriSleep View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote BriSleep Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 12:31am
I read an article somewhere, I think it was on the canucks forum but it said that ATI shipped about 10,000 cards the first time and that was just between the U.S. and Canada. Then they found a small glitch, they reset the etching and now they're holding out until they can send "tens of thousands" at a time througout the world. The date they quoted is the 17th of this month. So I'd just hold your pants and wait. If you buy an inferior card that will de-value as soon as these 5870's hit the market you'll be kicking yourself in said pants.
  Esp when I get back here and gush about how awesome mine is. Embarrassed
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 10:59am
that is not true.. lol
hey have been sending out a steady stream of 5870's, and there was no glitch that I know of.
If you watch the retailers, there have been cards pop up then go to sold out everyday.
abheysg View Drop Down

Quote abheysg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 1:29pm
I am in no hurry as such :) Thanks for the input guys.. I think i will request to be put on the waiting list for now! 
Pheel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pheel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 3:15pm

BriSleep, when did you place your order?  I also sent an email requesting to wait on the 5870s vice getting the 295s.

HAF 932
I7 920 OC 3.7GHz
EVGA X58 Classified
12GB DDR3 1600MHz
2x300GB Raptor RAID 0
2 x 5870
OS WIN 7 64Pro
PSU corsair 1000W
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Pheel

DST4ME..should I call Monday and if no 5870s switch to the 2x275 instead of the 2x295?  Alex any comments on the 5870 situation?  Thanks

if you are not getting 5870 then get 2 x 275, it will out perform 295 in sli and it will out perform it in games that don't support sli and it will cost less.
BriSleep View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote BriSleep Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 5:12pm

Hey.  I placed my oreder on oct 23rd. Not bad time for this build considering the back ordered part. Want to see a Maximum PC review on a $9000- DS rig from Nov of last year? Look at page 82 of this link.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 5:21pm
that link has only 61 pages
Pheel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pheel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 6:57pm
page 48
HAF 932
I7 920 OC 3.7GHz
EVGA X58 Classified
12GB DDR3 1600MHz
2x300GB Raptor RAID 0
2 x 5870
OS WIN 7 64Pro
PSU corsair 1000W
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 7:52pm
The good o'l days.

That's when we use to show off our real talent, high-end machines.

We're going to be going back to that route again instead of mid-range general systems.
abheysg View Drop Down

Quote abheysg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 4:41pm
Can someone from DS gives me a headsup when you get word on when the 5870's are due to come in???I would like to re-enter my order.... Thanks!!!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 4:46pm
They were supposed to be in yesterday, but call them and ask.
BriSleep View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote BriSleep Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 5:19pm
Got my system yesterday, stayed up 'till 3.am. getting it set up and installing games. I do wish I had picked a bigger case. DST4ME warned me but I didn't want to pay the $69- to switch over, so the 5870 card is huge, it runs from the backplane to the drive cage, but being the smart cookies they are here at DS, they put the 1TB Seagate below where the vents almost touch (maybe 1/4" clearance). Oh, with this mobo, if you add another graphics card it goes to slot 3 to get 16x performance so it would be well clear of any drive heat even if I added 2 more drives.
  Everything I've loaded does it's little performance test then sets the graphics to "ultra High Quality"! The movies from Fallout 3 looked like they were playing on my HDTV. The sound quality from the onboard sound is much better than anything I've ever heard from an add on sound card, just as Sarah told me it would when I placed my order, the LC is lit from behind by the OCZ LED RAM fans and the coolant is just a tad from absolute full so you can see it rippling while it flows. Even with the extra Zalman fans this rig is half as loud as my last one.
  Anyone want to suggest benchmarking tools? Apparently I ordered one but they didn't charge me for it so I didn't get it. C'est la Vie! I know there's a post somewhere with links to some, I'm d/ling 3D makr Vantage with a 1 use product key they're offering for free. Now I gotta leave my baby for a few hours to take my wife to the doctor. Later!
abheysg View Drop Down

Quote abheysg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 6:26pm
OK.. here is my config below ... going to place an order and wait till the ATi's come in... please post recommendations/comments!

Ticket Number: 354817
Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,595.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=354817

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Not Available
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified by mushkin enhanced (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Seagate/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Set 1 Raid Options: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator) (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Available
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: LCD Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
Chassis Mods: - Not Available
Noise Reduction: - Not Available
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: - Not Available
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - Not Available
Office: - Not Available
Benchmarking: - Not Available
Install/Test Game: - Not Available
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warrant
abheysg View Drop Down

Quote abheysg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 6:28pm
BriSleep - which case did you get? considering that i am going after the ATI's i will take your case advice :>
Pheel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pheel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 9:20pm
Get a good book, relax and try to think of something other than your 5870...will probably be in after Thanksgiving/early December.
HAF 932
I7 920 OC 3.7GHz
EVGA X58 Classified
12GB DDR3 1600MHz
2x300GB Raptor RAID 0
2 x 5870
OS WIN 7 64Pro
PSU corsair 1000W
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 10:00pm
What resolution will you be gaming at? I would change a bunch of things in that build
BriSleep View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote BriSleep Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 2:18am
Hey gang, I got a CM Storm Scout, I don't even know if they offer it anymore. A 2Gb ATI 5970 card, when did that happen? Wait, a 5970, did they already sandwich two cores together? I haven't heard about this. I can't believe the performance of this one 2 cores would be incredible. Not that I need it, one monitor, 24" wide screen and beautiful and responsive as all get out. One thing I really like about Samsung is they have pre-sets for internt, games, movies, sports, things like that so you don't have to fiddle with the brightness and color every time you change things but that also goes for the ATI CCC, it has profiles too. I'm still holding out judgement. I'm keeping this on one card until I see what Nvidia will offer next quarter.
  Just make sure you get a case that is deep, The scout is like 19 1/2" deep and if the 3.5" drive cage wasn't turned sideways the way Cooler Master does, the vid card wouldn't fit. I was going to switch to the CM 922 but any of the larger mid towers should work and if you like a full tower, go DST's way and get a CM 932 case. I can not have a full tower, just no room in this small trailer we live in. I mostly wanted the scout because it has a handle, we live close to a river and have to evacuate just about every other spring. I think the Sniper would have even been better.
  Guess I'll post to another board about benchmarking programs. I've just been in a rush everywhere since my rig came.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 4:50am
the 5970 just got out today, for res lower then 2560 x 1600 is pointless, unless for crysis or other like it.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 9:17am
DST, you are right in that 90% of games today don't need a 5970 for res. under 2560x1600, but a lot of the new games are pushing GPU's harder, so I think for 1920x1200 it will be great for upcoming games. For res under that most will be CPU limited, so it doesn't make any sense. 
One thing that I have noticed is the newest games don't seem to be CPU limited nearly as much as the older games, either because of the way they are coded or the fact that they are taking advantage of more threads, or a little of both.
 I seen a lot of 5970 reviews that were CPU limited out to 2560x1200 with 4Ghz i7's on older games.
That is why I can't wait to be running two new GPU's early this summer, maybe ATI, maybe Nvidia, lol, and a gulftown chip at 5Ghz... should run Crysis  SmileSmile
abheysg View Drop Down

Quote abheysg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 12:44pm
Will be gaming at 1900 res.... The reason why i figured i would get the 5970 vs the 5870 is that i saw tomshardware benchmarks showing one 5970 with the output of 2 x 5870's at 1900 res with 8x AA. DS4TME - Let me know "what bunch of changes" you recommend! Thanks!
Sarah View Drop Down

Hardcore Gamer

Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 1:12pm
abheysg if you haven't ordered yet, when you get ready to, give me a call and I will answer any final questions and get you all setup.
Sarah
If you have sales questions, please contact [email protected]

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 4:57pm
what new games need a 5970 at 1900 x 1200? only games like crysis, I don't see any games out there that a 295 or 2 x 275 or 1 x 5870 can't handle.

@abheysg, even if we go by tomshardware, which is not a creditable place, but even if we go by them you still don't need a 5970, once you are over 50 to 60 fps in a games you wont' notice the difference, so in short you will not notice the difference between say 55 fps and 555 fps.

looking at tomshardware, I see farcry 2 for example with 8x aa and 1 x 5870 giving you 57 fps while the 5970 is giving you 72 fps, if you think you will be able to tell the difference between 57 fps and 72 fps you are mistaken, I can come in the middle of night and change the 5970 to 5870 and you will not notice the difference.

same goes for Left 4 Dead, World In Conflict, H.A.W.X., Resident, Grand Theft Auto.

only a couple of games like cysis will see difference, most games won't.

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Nov 2009 at 5:01pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 9:30pm

there is a lot of games at 1920x1200 that 2 275's can's avg 60, and most they can't keep min above 60.  And games coming out in the next six months, there will be a lot more..

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 9:55pm
What games?, 90% of the games don't fall into that catagory and we are discussing both 5870 and 2 x 275, what games are there that 5870 can't get avarage of 50 to 60 fps? other then a few like crysis or stalker, samll number of other games like them?

most games like Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, Call of Duty 5, Mass Effect, Tom Clancy's HAWX, Anno 1404, Dead Space, Resident Evil, and many games like them all get 50 to 60 fps at 1900 x 1200.

there is barely any DX11 games to being with, but even at dx11 5870 got 90% of the games covered.

when the games come out and if, if he sees he needs more gpu power then he can pay less for the card and get another one, but I doubt that in the next year a 5870 will not be enough for 1900 x 1200, and even if it was not theoretically speaking, a 5870 would cost so much less then what it cost now in a six month to a year.

I love how you are giving benchmarks for games that are not even out/made yet.

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Nov 2009 at 10:05pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 9:03am
for one you must not have read my post, just because a card can avg 50FPS does not mean smooth game play.. Min FPS is much more important, and like I said many games the 275's in sli can not do that.
Another thing is you look at review sites, and don't test them yourself, most review sites do not max out the settings. If they did you would see the 275's in SLI avg less than 10 FPS in some games.
And one more thing if you think that future games are going to be easier, or the same demand on GPU's you are sadly mistaken.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>