FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ati Catalyst 10.6

Post Date: 2010-06-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
WardTheSteak View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Ati Catalyst 10.6
    Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 11:46am
So the new Ati Catalyst driver is out.  Was thinking about downloading it, but then I read what this dude said on Maximum PC.  I kind of lol'd at it, with his whole I'm never gonna buy another Radeon card again thing.  But, nonetheless I would like to know if anyone else has downloaded the drivers yet and had any issues with them? 

This set of drivers gave me problems. When installing on an X58 with a 5970 my monitors go black as if to reset windows rendering like drivers normally do, but the display of windows does not come back... I have to restart by keyboard navigation because i cannot see anything... once restarted everything is fine and catalyst says 10.6, just though t i'd mention in case anyone else has similar problem... btw this didn't happen with previous drivers...

EDIT: These drivers are crappy, back to 10.5s

They even say in the release notes that this happens, also any game i run gives me crashed / recovered video driver... and if i use 32xAA 16xAF = Blue Screen...

My next card will be nVidia, i'll never buy a radeon graphics card again, nVidias are simply superior and more mature 

justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 12:58pm
been running them for 2 weeks, no issues, except water flicker on BC2. Most ATI drivers need to be applied right over the top of the old, these need full un-install,-restart driver sweep re-start, fresh install..

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 1:26pm
Ahh okayy, sounds good.  On the article it totes that there are some good performance game in some benchmarks and games, anything that you've noticed thus far?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 1:31pm
huge gains in 3dmark vantage..small gains in a couple games, but not really anything worth mentioning.. 3000 points in Vantage is though. lol

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 7:27pm
Wow haha that is a huge jump lol.  Well I guess I'm gonna go ahead and fresh install it lol.  So how's the 470 card pluggin out for you?  Would you buy 3 fermi's instead of 3 5870's if you were to put new cards in the monkey again?  Or do you think you can reach a better and more stable oc with the 5870's?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 8:13pm
price wise, I did what I did, and would do it over again. lol
If I had the budget, then yes I would have gone 3 GTX 480's. But all I expected was to match or beat 2 GTX 480's, because that is how much my 3 5870's cost, and they do more than that. so happy..
The Fermi was really neutered by Nvidia, seems like they had very high expectations, but could not get a handle on the power/heat issues, so they throttled em back a ton, so that the heat/power was tolerable..  But if you can keep em cool, they have a huge amount of un-tapped potential.. 40%-50% overclocks is just crazy, and they respond better to overclocking then the ATI cards, by a bit.. so very impressive... But I hate the Nvidia drivers with a passion, so many errors caused by them, plus so much added time messing with them. but I am impressed with Fermi's performance once overclocked.

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 11:33am
Yeah, overclocks that high sound amazing.  Yet the power and heat issues are blahhh haha that's money like crazy.  Lol yeah, I doubt I'll upgrade to fermi, I'll probably just end up getting another 5870.  Which 5870 do you prefer or would you reccomend?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 12:37pm
if you can wait, right now is a poor time to upgrade. the 5870 will be a year old soon, that is really old for a GPU lol, so wait for ATI 6000 series, or at least for the re-fresh of Fermi. If you can't wait, the 5870, get a reference card, non-reference cards suck for 58xx cards. 

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 2:20pm
Haha yeah I know it is, I've just been thinking about adding an extra card and going tripple crossfire but idk like you said these cards will be old soon lol.  Yeah, I'm definitely gonna watch out for the re-fresh of Fermi, but will also have to keep an eye on my budget and see what I can add lol if Fermi puts out some really efficient cards and I have the money for em' I'll be getting them.  Right now, I'm trying to save up for nice big tv lol I might go with the new mitsubishi dlp lineup for price and size reasons.  Plus I saw some of the 738 series yesterday and the picture actually looked really nice. 
sdelu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sdelu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by justin.kerr

if you can wait, right now is a poor time to upgrade. the 5870 will be a year old soon, that is really old for a GPU lol, so wait for ATI 6000 series, or at least for the re-fresh of Fermi. If you can't wait, the 5870, get a reference card, non-reference cards suck for 58xx cards. 

They're old already?  God damn, my computer is beyond ancient then ;p

When would this 6000 series be coming out, eh?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 3:17pm
don't know when ATI is going to release them yet, but they have said no re-fresh, just straight to new series. lol so I would guess end of year 15-16 months for their top card is really a long time..

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 7:00pm
Yeah that is old in gpu years lol.  Haha it's gonna go by quick though and we will have some nice new gpu's to peep at.  Have you read anything about the new SSD Samsung recently made that has a 512 gb capacity with nand flash memory chips?
darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 3:20am
I just ordered my rig from DS on this past sunday (20th) and I read about this 10.6 ATI driver....my vid card is 5870...how does this affect me?

Do i need to update too? or DS automatically did it for me when they build my comp?

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 3:50am
Hmm, DS might have this driver installed.  You might want to hit them up and ask them to just install the 10.5 version instead, because I've had a lot of problems with the new 10.6 drivers. 
darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 10:06pm
It seems like you a lot of people says that the 10.6 is unstable. If that is the case for me, what exactly do i do to "revert back to 10.5"?

I have no ALMOST no idea what that means. what are the programs i need to download to faciliate the reversal?

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 3:57pm
Just shoot ds an e-mail telling them you want to use the 10.5 driver instead of the 10.6 one because of the stability issues you have read about them.  Or you can just revert to the 10.6 one by uninstalling it, and installing the 10.5 driver.  You don't need any programs to do this, just the drivers themselves.
 Post Reply Post Reply