FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Audio

Post Date: 2015-09-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Madamenay View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Madamenay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Audio
    Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 3:00pm
I have the Avon laptop and have probably had it for approx. a month. I have tried to make adjustments to the audio quality with the sound blaster software but no matter how much I tweak, the audio sounds quite crappy. There is a tremendous amount of raspy static in audio output whether it be music, gaming sounds, streaming videos, etc. What's up? When I explained this to the D.S. techs, the response was to adjust my audio with that sound blaster software. I'm not having any luck. I've never had such horrible audio coming out of any laptop that I've owned in the past & this one cost me 2x more than I typically pay for a computer. I have to admit, if this is the way audio is on a D.S. system, and if this is the typical response from this company, I'll not be purchasing this brand for my next laptop.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 3:12pm
Hi Madamenay.... I don't do much with laptops but some require the SB X-Fi drivers to be loaded off the included disc. Then there's more control in the control panel.

DS doesn't manufacture their own laptops but assemble and test others like Sager. The Avon is built off the Sager 9753 if you want to Google it and find more info.   Maybe a Sager forums.

Good luck.

Madamenay View Drop Down

Quote Madamenay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 3:36pm
Thank you. I will look it up. I did install the drivers several weeks ago.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 6:10pm
putting an expensive add-in sound card into a laptop with crappy speakers is kind of counter-productive, imo, unless you have a decent speaker system you can output to that is.  i can't think of one boutique pc "builder" that manufactures their own lap top chassis.  they all build in Clevo chassis and use various "lap top quality" speakers, which means they're all crap.  you could be getting electrical interference, or you could have speaker/sound card failure, or even a grounding issue (which can damage your sound card).  do you get the crackling sounds with just using the on board mobo sound? 

Edited by db188 - 24 Sep 2015 at 6:13pm
Madamenay View Drop Down

Quote Madamenay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 5:30am
It doesn't seem to improve if I plug something in to the headphone jack on the side. I tried earbuds and a HMDX Jam speaker. I know there are other ports for an external sound system, but I have yet to investigate how that set-up works.

Electrical interference for something external? I doubt it. The audio problem is the same no matter where I take the laptop. Yes, perhaps the card is bad or there is a grounding problem.

All I know is that I've purchased laptops for 600.00 to 1,800.00 and none of them have had the horrible audio output coming from this 3,000.00 laptop. So yeah, I'm extremely disappointed.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 7:08am
My only other thought is to go into Device Manager and check for conflicts and then try disabling by right clicking  any  audio drivers other than the SB.   You can always re-enable them.   My guess is that you've done this from the troubleshooting you've done.

After that, sending it in for service might be needed.    A huge pain I know.  

Best of luck.

Madamenay View Drop Down

Quote Madamenay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 8:31am
Thank you for feedback. No, there aren't any device conflicts. I have a colleague who is sort of an expert with audio (not necessarily with laptops). I think I'll ask him to look at my Sound Blaster config, etc. before I contact D.S. again, because yes - sending it for service is a huge pain. :-(
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 10:50am
does the bad sound go away when you unplug the laptop power?  is the bad sound still there when you turn down the volume-meaning that there is a "static" sound no matter what you do with the settings?  

typically, laptop power bricks use a 3-pin power cord that doesn't provide enough insulation from ground loop electrical interference.  you can switch to a double-insulated 2-pin power adapter or get a "hum eliminator" to eliminate that source of interference.  anything externally connected to the laptop can be the source of this kind of "external" electrical interference. 
Madamenay View Drop Down

Quote Madamenay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 6:15pm
The bad sound does not change if I unplug the power cord. It isn't as raspy sounding if the volume is low - but that means so low that I can't really hear what I need to. I can get it to "clear up" just a little bit by messing a lot with the SB settings. There are SO MANY different combinations of settings to try.

Also, you mentioned external devices connected, so I unplugged and shut off the cordless mouse. It made no difference.

Argh!
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 6:49pm
did you try my earlier suggestion to test out the on-board (mobo) sound for the same staticy sound output?  i want to make sure it isn't a bad board, rather than blaming it on your add-in card or speakers.  if you've got headphones, can you try to see if the sound is the same using them?  that way we can bypass the speakers and attempt to better isolate the cause.

Edited by db188 - 26 Sep 2015 at 6:51pm
Madamenay View Drop Down

Quote Madamenay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 7:38pm
I killed Sound Blaster and disabled several items in the device manager in the category "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" (list included mostly NVIDIA related sound items). If there is something else to disable in the device manager, you'll have to tell me what. I don't know that much about computer hardware. I did try headphones and also a small HMDX Jam speaker (which works great on my other laptop). So, all that and I still get the unpleasant raspy muffled sort of sound unless the volume is unusably low.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 11:08pm
i'd send the the whole thing back to them.  they need to test too many things (mobo, sound card, speakers, etc.) to find out the problem.  
Madamenay View Drop Down

Quote Madamenay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 6:45am
Thank you for the help. Much appreciated. I'll contact them.
Flanker1Six View Drop Down

Quote Flanker1Six Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 5:12pm
Bummer!

I've used Sager DTR notebooks for years (typing on one now); if, in fact, your Avon is a rebranded Sager.  And as db188 noted; Sagers are just rebranded Clevos out of Taiwan.   db188 is also totally correct in there is no such thing a "good" notebook speakers......................they all sound like ****.  

My "guess" is your staticy sound is likely a hardware short in something.  As you're aware; the Creative x-Fi portion of your sound system is just software, the actual onboard sound chip is who knows what; though Sager has used a lot of RealTeks over the years.  My current onboard sound chip is a MicroSoft Unit. 

If your Avon is a rebranded Sager/Clevo; verify what model it is, then verify what sound chip you have through Start/accessories/system info/components/sound device; then go to Sager's website, go to the Support tab at the top of their home page, then drivers and manuals.  Pick out your Sager model number and check to see if there is any newer software updates for your sound chip and/or X-Fi control panel (probably isn't, but you never know).  Might save your comp a trip back to DS. 

Sounds like you've already tried isolating the issue via an external speaker hook up--though all that eliminates is the notebook speakers.  If it's a hardware short it will show up in external speakers too.  

Another thing I can suggest [besides lots of unChristianly language Big%20Smile] is to completely bypass your onboard sound by disabling it via the Device Manager/sound, video, game controllers.  Then connect an external sound card and sound system (which is what I've done----but obviously defeats the point of portable onboard sound and speakers).

Have you tried uninstalling the sound chip drivers and reinstalling them?   If i's software...................that might take care of it.   You could do that in conjunction with that trip to Sager's web site/Support/drivers section...........or if you got a drivers disc with the comp; you could just reinstall the included sound chip drivers.  

Good luck....................hope you get it licked soon! 

Edited by Flanker1Six - 29 Sep 2015 at 5:15pm
WATCH OUT for the tiger behi......aaahhhhhh; never mind.
 Post Reply Post Reply