FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aventum Studio First Impression

Post Date: 2022-09-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mgrabow View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mgrabow Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Aventum Studio First Impression
    Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 5:32am
So this month I received my second Digital storm PC. My last one was purchased in 2013 as a photo workstation but it was time for a replacement. . I blew a video card last year, so I had to switch to the on-board HDMI.

So, I had my office purchase me a new system. This time DS had a "Studio" workstation and that suits my professional use the best, so we placed the order.

Here are my first impressions. The unit is a beast with cooling for days. The case is obnoxiously big, but some of us are into that. The build was clean, and everything functioned perfectly out of the box.

So, let's talk specifics...

The purchasing experience was OK, but the online configuration tool could use some more detail. Links to a photo intensive page on the case alone would have gone a long way (as an example).

Shipping was crazy slow. 21 days from pick up to delivery. It's not DS's fault, but FedEx freight is normally faster than 21 days to go across the country.   While the case is huge and very well packaged, for $399 in shipping it could have come faster. I don't think the shipping weight is anywhere near the 175 pounds listed on the label unless FedEx freight removed it from the pallet. Because it did not come on one.

On the subject of packaging, It is packaged very well in their custom box. The unit has a very nice cover bag but the "Digital Storm" is printed upside down on it so don't plan on using the cover as a cover if you have any sort of OCD. Here is the cover on my old unit to illustrate the point.

I guess the only issues I have with the case is the glass panels severely restrict air movement. They also block access to the bays. Any studio workstation is likely going to require a CF card reader. Sure, you can add an external. But with a case this massive I should be able to add on internally.

I also wish they had a "parts" section on their web site so you can buy upgrades you regret not getting at the time of the initial purchase.

So if that's all I have to complain about, I think that's pretty good. I would definitely recommend it to anyone that does not want to build their own.   My last machine lasted damn near a decade so if that is an indicator, this one should last me until I retire.

MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 8:49am
Glad it is overall satisfying.

Originally posted by mgrabow

I guess the only issues I have with the case is the glass panels severely restrict air movement. They also block access to the bays. Any studio workstation is likely going to require a CF card reader. Sure, you can add an external. But with a case this massive I should be able to add on internally.

Yeah... I wonder when PC cases will transition back to some form of the old school acrylic windowed side panels with fans.

Some of the cases I used when I sold custom PCs -- Athlon X2/Phenom days:

Apevia X-Plorer | Newegg

Apevia X-Superalien | Newegg

I think, JayzTwoCents also brought up this topic in a recent video.

The five-and-a-quarter bay might even return (or something similar) with many enthusiasts (re-)captivated by resource monitors/displays.

More and more PC cases have fine mesh panel as an option but I'd like it to be a choice on every model.

I applaud Nvidia on the RTX 3080/3090 family cooler design, combo blower and flow-through. That is, they don't blast the heat against the case side wall (rather upwards) like the traditional dual and triple fan graphics card designs.

In fact, if the used market wasn't so off, I'd sell my 3090 FTW3U and get a 3090 Ti FE or 3080 Ti FE.

P.S. That became more of a bullet list of thoughts.

Edited by MrCheetah - 29 Sep 2022 at 8:51am
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 11:31pm
Congrats. Awesome
That is a very roomy case and you should have no cooling issues at all. DS has an acrylic window available for the Velox if there are cooling issues. Maybe they will design one for the Aventum also.

The upside down logo on the cover is interesting, quality control?

Some years ago DS did have a parts section but, as with other items, that is no longer available.

Enjoy.
Smile
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 9:02am
Originally posted by hoserator

The upside down logo on the cover is interesting, quality control?

Some years ago DS did have a parts section but, as with other items, that is no longer available.

I'd be curious to hear DS's reasoning for having the logo oriented like that as well. I'm struggling to see why you'd want the name positioned like that given the way the cover goes over the tower. Could very well have been a QC issue, but you'd think DS would have sent them back - assuming they didn't do it themselves which is possible given how much DS seems to want to move more things in-house.

As for the parts, I had no idea! Whoa I still presumed that page was buried up on the top menu bar but you are correct it's vanished. I need to browse areas other than the Configurator apparently. Big%20Smile
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 12:36pm
My guess with the logo orientation is that the bag is intended as a personal carry bag for clothing, accessories, etc.   Let’s face it, most people won’t be covering up their Aventum in between gaming or productivity sessions.   All that money, a great case , I’d want to display it, on or off.   I cover the keyboard, that’s it.

I like the bag as-is.

Edited by bprat22 - 30 Sep 2022 at 12:38pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 1:56pm
+1

mgrabow View Drop Down

Quote mgrabow Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 2:45pm
That’s a big bag to carry.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by mgrabow

That’s a big bag to carry.

Life has its burdens.

Maybe pretend you're tech-centric Santa Clause.
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
 Post Reply Post Reply