Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Liq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Liq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: average GTX 480 overclocks
    Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 4:37pm
 What is about the average I need to shoot for with my GTX 480 overclock? I just started messing with it yesterday, and I set it to 726 core to match EVGA superclocked speeds. I have left memory clocks untouched for now. I ran Furmark for 5 minutes, and it never went above 81 degrees. I ran BFBC2 for several hours and it never went above 80 degrees.

I do not want to mess with voltages or anything like that. I'm basically just kind of asking what clock speeds an average Joe OC'er should shoot for. I know each card is different as far as capabilities goes, and if its any help this card is the MSI version with all the "military grade" stuff, but I think thats just some sales gimmick, heh.

I have already modified my fan profile, and have placed a 120mm fan directly on the card in the GPU fan shroud on my HAF-X.

Edited by Liq - 06 Aug 2010 at 7:32pm
JJJJ_Shabadoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JJJJ_Shabadoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 6:38pm
I'm using MSI afterburner. I haven't touched the Core Voltage and have mine set to:
Core Clock: 800
Shader Clock: 1600
Memory Clock: 2103

I don't know how "good" this is or if this is average, I just read somewhere that someone had these settings and gave them a try. I haven't tried to tweak them myself, yet.

Has been rock solid since I set these last weekend playing Metro 2033 and Just Cause 2. Temps max out in the low 80's using my custom fan profile (80% at 80 straight line to 100% at 90). I haven't tried a burn in test yet, though.
Liq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Liq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 7:31pm
 yeah it seems 800 appears to be average in the other forums I frequent.  I'll probably bump in to 750ish first, check stability then go from there. I think the memory clock is a little more anal about OC settings, and thats the one I was more confused about on average OC's really.

I thought about undervolting the card and leaving settings at stock until it cools off outside. My room has 2 machines running pretty much constantly, and since the GTX480 is like a hair dryer it heats up quick in here.
 Post Reply Post Reply