FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Avon Laptop Ordered

Post Date: 2020-08-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tomsal74 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tomsal74 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Avon Laptop Ordered
    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 3:29pm
Finally pulled the trigger today after much thought and consideration for my 2nd Digital Storm purchase. I ordered a Avon laptop today to replace a 2011 laptop that is quickly going on me.

I checked out 4 reviews (3 written , 1 video)...the major CONs they all agreed on were the speakers are terrible, two of the reviews said they are honestly the worst speakers they've ever heard of any laptop, gaming or otherwise. Another con was the power draw -- with battery life in real life tests only proving to be about 2 hours from a full charge. Then there was a third CON the position of the touch pad is said to be awkward and its often touched while typing.

But I ordered it anyway because...1) I bought a desktop PC from Digital Storm 3 years ago, its beautiful and to this day still works very well for me. In fact I'm going to do small upgrades with it (upgrading RAM and Storage -- likely in Oct). The build quality of the desktop is excellent and the service I got with that purchase was very good...so that's why I came back to DS for the laptop.

2)The speakers issue does bum me out a bit and I'll be honest I am thinking "Really DS you got all this bad feedback on the speakers for the old model Avon and its still not fixed on the 2020 model? Seriously guys?" BUT...80% of the time I use my headset anyway while gaming on my current laptop...so The speakers aren't a deal breaker.

3) The touch pad. Almost a non issue - I hate track pads , with a passion...on ANY laptop. I will disable it and stick to my gaming mouse.

4) The battery life .... Non issue. I agree with most of the reviews I read for the Avon anyway ... what serious gamer actually believes a decent powered gaming laptop will have great battery life. My laptops are almost always plugged in while gaming.

5) Besides the three CONS all the reviews liked the build quality, said the screen was very nice, the power was very good and I'm getting 32 gb RAM with a 2080 Super . So yeah I'm looking forward to it.

My current laptop (the one that's slowly dying I think) is a Sony Vaio . Its built well and served me very well for 9 years. But it will shutdown automatically when playing games for longer than 2 hours, I use it for sound effects in my Dungeons and Dragons games and the screen will randomly blank out, etc. Anyway 6 GB RAM, so I'm increasing that 6 fold! and its a 4 core processor 1.74 ghz, ...new laptop is 8 cores and can power up to 5 ghz. Finally the sony has a 330m nvidia (if you know about that its a fairly ancient mobile solution -- it doesn't really support anything well in the last couple years, I mean less graphic intense games will run on it, but you ain't running high or ultra settings...even WoW will challenge my Sony on more recent expansions)...

Any way just sharing my excitement and my reasoning on the purchase (not that you care, or anyone needs to justify their purcahse LOL) .

I should see a massive performance difference with the new laptop.

Edited by Tomsal74 - 29 Aug 2020 at 3:30pm
Tomsal View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tomsal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 6:20pm
Figured I'd update...its part of the excitement when waiting for a new machine.... I happened to check my email tonight and my system is at stage 6!

Its moving much faster than I anticipated, but then I was thinking its probably because its a laptop this time not a PC. Kind of makes sense they can take care of laptop's much faster.

Anyway.

Ordered 8/29
Stage 1-3 8/31
Stage 4-5 9/1
Stage 6 9/3
**Stage 7 9/4** (WOOT!)

Just got the email my laptop shipped out today! So hopefully this time next week I'll be playing with it. (Three purchases get me excited otherwise I generally are just like "neat"....but Computers (or related computer gaming gear), a car purchase and the biggest of all material things in life -- buying a new home....those are the purchases that get me going.

Anyway thanks for indulging my excitement for a bit.

Have a good week end and happy labor day.

Edited by Tomsal - 04 Sep 2020 at 5:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply