Post Date: 2010-11-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Back for more help
    Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 9:37am

Hello Digital Storm Community,

Some may remember me.  I posted a couple of months ago about configuration questions on a new computer I was going to buy.  Well...you all know the story.  Life happens...actually a bunch of life happens...and I did not get to putting in my order.  Things have calmed down now and I am back to try this again.  My current computer is really showing its age and I need a new toy!  So lets get down to business...

Budget:  No real cap on this.  Let's say I want to keep it less than $4000.  I already have a gaming keyboard and mouse.  I had to get a new monitor as my old one died a month ago (LG HD 24" - very nice compared to my 5 year old one)

Expectations and Usage:  60% Gaming; 30% home use (word processing, spreadsheets, etc.), 10% graphics apps (picture and video editing, artwork, webdesign).  Games played are StarCraftII, Company of Heroes, CODWaW and a few others.  I have most of the eye candy turned off in my 6.5 year old computer and I am tired of that!  Big%20Smile

Monitor Resolution:  For my new 24" HD monitor I am currently running 1920x1080

Special Needs:  I am not into SLI or CF.  I want to have a single video card rig so I can update it every 1-2 years.  I am also not into liquid cooling so I would like to focus on air solutions.  I have a ton of music and video on my hard drive and in my general collection so I do have a need for storage.  I also want space for image back ups of my main OS drive and pictures/music/ data (both internal and external).

So this is what I came up with on the configurator:

Ticket Number: 453049

Total Price with Instant Savings: $3,285.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=453049

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - HAF 922
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58 (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator with DHX
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black) (NOTE: Disables 2 Front USB Ports)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1002FAEX)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Optical Drive 2: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS
Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: Microsoft Office 2010 Office Home and Business (Full Retail Box Packaging)
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks (I assume I should buy this elsewhere)
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 5 Year Limited Warranty

What do people think?  I would love opinions and help.  Thanks in advance.

KK
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 10:21am

your budget is so high with such wierd requests for a gaming machine that this is a tough one to address

theres nothing wrong with the build you posted, but its certainly a misappropriation of money for a gaming rig

-the Dominator ram wont give you anything the certified ram wont
-the noctua 14 wont give you much for the money over a u12p, not to mention you have to add another fan to it to even compete, which is not included in the listed cost
-in your budget, the 932 is a better choice. its basically the same outside size with better cooling power
-2 dvd burning drives?
-this one is pure preference,  but i dont see a point in buying office any more, there are multiple free alternatives, my favorite being Open Office
-a 160gb SSD is a little over the top for the needs you listed, actually its a lot over the top

why are you against SLI?

$600 less
more gaming power, no sacrifice in performance
better cooling

+openoffice

wcboltman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote wcboltman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 12:32pm
If you listen to a lot of music definitely go with a dedicated sound card.  Asus Xonar STX is amazing for music.
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 11:07pm

Thanks for the replies! 

wcboltman - I had not thought about a sound card.  Most reviews say now that motherboards do a fine job with sound.  I have a set of 5.1 speakers that I was going to use with my new system.  I could go with a soundcard though...I do have a sizable music selection.

!ender - I have used Cosair RAM in the past with good results so I was just thinking brand name.  I can change that in the build.  Excellent catch on the air cooling - I will change that for sure.  As for the case, the 922 is listed as smaller than the 932.  A friend of mine has the 932 and that will definitely not fit in my computer furniture and have any space for airflow around it.  The 922 according to its dimensions should fit.  I would like to stick with a HAF case so that is why I went 922.  I picked 2 burners as I do take a ton of pictures / videos and burn copies for others (for local sports teams and town events).  I have one burner now and it takes me a ton of time to burn copies of video / photos from a local hockey game and distribute to all the parents & coaches!  I thought two burners would speed things up dramatically.  As for hard drive, I simply thought I could afford the 160GB, why not get it now?  I could probably live with the 80GB Intel SSD as the main drive.
I am not necessary against dual video cards...  I just know that I am confident that I can replace an individual card without issue in the future when upgrade time rolls around.  I am concerned that I might have an issue with configuring dual cards.  I have never done that before.  I am curious...why did you suggest dual 470s.  I think dual 480s would fit in my budget.  What was your thinking there?

Looks like I should have included more information in my original post about my uses and expectations.  Sorry about that.  Some good suggestions and lots of things to think about.  Thanks for the input so far.

KK

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 11:33pm
I have used Cosair RAM in the past with good results so I was just thinking brand name.
i have too in my last build, im just thinking budget, the ram i have now is rediculous: patriot 2400mhz cas9 ... but, i also tweak and overclock as a hobby, if you dont intend to touch your bios, id suggest sticking with the certified ram, theres nothing wrong with the higher ram, just not worth the cost for someone who isnt an enthusiast (even then its debatable, lol)

As for the case, the 922 is listed as smaller than the 932
it is smaller you are right, but check this out:
922 - 22.20" x 10.00" x 19.70"
932 - 22.70" x 9.00" x 21.50"

so its :        + .5" L     +1" W   +1.8" H

then look at this ...
1 x 120mm rear fan
1 x 200mm front fan
1 x 200mm top fan

1 x 140mm rear fan
1 x 230mm front red LED fan
1 x 230mm top fan
1 x 230mm side fan

big difference in both value and power. and dot forget, the bigger fan = less noise for the same cooling. just food for thought.

I picked 2 burners as I do take a ton of pictures / videos and burn copies...
makes perfect sense to me, keep it

I simply thought I could afford the 160GB, why not get it now? 
nothing wrong here, im just very budget centric when suggesting to others, theres nothing negative except the price from 80 vs 160gb, but for your consideration:
i have win7 64, photoshop, vegas video, dreamweaver, full open office suite, all drivers, codecs, vent, foobar, ccleaner, and starcraft 2 on my SSD.. and im at 29.6GB currently.
if you pay attention, 40 should be fine, 80 plenty, 160 wasteful?

I am concerned that I might have an issue with configuring dual cards. 
understood, however, there actually is no configuring, even if you were building it yourself, once the hardware is in place, you go to nvidia control panel and click enable SLI. My intention here is longevity. with a 1000w psu, you are set to swap in any single card that will beat dual 470s (or 480s, whatever) when it happens, but thats not going to be for a while... where a single 480 is going to be beat in abouttttt a month or so? maybe less.

I think dual 480s would fit in my budget.  What was your thinking there?
budget again, dual 470s give you the bears portion of dual 480 power for significantly less money (especially if you are gaming at 1920x1080 as most new systems are these days) but again, there is nothing wrong with getting dual 480s, just keep in mind that its significantly more expensive:
single 480 to dual 470s = $80
dual 470 to dual 480s = $425 + 1000w to 1200w psu another $35
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 2:05pm
Thanks for the reply !ender.  I appreciate the input and the detail.  I also appreciate the thought process you are using about thinking about budget.  I am not always as budget conscious as I should be so it is useful to know your logic.

The thoughts on the RAM make sense...I am not so much of an enthusiast that I would start tweaking things with the RAM.  I agree with your points on the 932 as being a better cooling choice for air cooling.  I just do not see any way to make it fit in the space I have.  The 922 fits with its dimensions.  I will look into what I can maybe work with the space.  Are any of the other mid tower cases a reasonable choice to go for in terms of air cooling or is the HAF922 the best choice?

I will think about the SSD point you made.  Maybe the 80GB will be enough?

Very good thoughts on the video card situation.  The dual 470s makes some sense...especially if there is no issue with me doing future upgrades that might involve dual cards...  Let me put some thought into this and I will put together an updated configuration soon.

Thanks again for the help!

KK
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 7:33pm
The 922 fits with its dimensions.
this concerns me because it seems like you are barely fitting the case into /under something but the 922 and 932 depend on a lot of space and airflow outside the case to cool properly... just something to keep in mind
Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 11:22pm
Ender is right, i turned my case sideways underneath the desk so that the front side and rear had plenty of space (since i have kids it also allows my feet and legs to block little fingers) for a low power machine, those kind of cubbies are fine. but for a high power... you dont want to be restricting the airflow.
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 8:43pm
Yeah, the computer desk and furniture in our office is kind of weird shaped...and I am getting the big 'no way' from my wife on upgrading both our computer AND our office furniture!  LOL

Anyway, the space for the computer is completely open in the front, the back and on the left side (facing the computer).  The right side will maybe have 1 inch of space.  The top is the part I am most worried about.  If I get the HAF932, the clearance on the top will be less than 0.5 inch at the worst spot.  The HAF922 woud have greater than 2 inches on the top in terms of space.  That seems pretty good to me.  My only other option is leaving it out on the floor and that gets the big frowny face from the Mrs.  Big%20Smile

I am going to mess with the configurator and post a new build in a bit.  Thanks again for the input.

KK
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 9:10pm
Okay, here is a new stab at a build for my next dream rig.  Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and information.  Especially !ender...I appreciate the budget based angle you presented.  I was able to change some of the things to save some small amounts of money...and the free 4 year warranty saves a chunk of cash.  With that I put this build together with the dual 480s and kept the larger SSD.  I have the money and this way the only thing I may add to this computer later is an external drive.  I think I am going to skip the sound card until I see how the motherboard sound is with my speakers and headset.

I see the new NVIDIA 580 is out now.  Is that a significant single card improvement over the 480?  I could drop back to a single card and a smaller power supply?  Obviously SLI will beat it but with my current resolution 1920x1080 maybe that makes more sense...  Or the dual 470s as you suggested...  I am torn. 

Ticket Number: 455651
Total Price with Instant Savings: $3,522.00

Specifications:

Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58 (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black) (NOTE: Disables 2 Front USB Ports)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1002FAEX)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (i7 Processors Only)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Office: Microsoft Office 2010 Office Home and Business (Full Retail Box Packaging)
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: FREE PROMO: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty

What do people think?

KK

Edited by KKrusher - 09 Nov 2010 at 9:13pm
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 2:38am
Might as well go for it now, I'd suggest the 2xGTX580s.
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 10:45pm
Okay, I decided to post another configuration.  I decided my comfort level with SLI is just not high enough so I decided to go with a single 580 for the GPU.  I modified the power supply down a bit accordingly.  I also had forgotten about the soundcard comment so I added one of those since I do have a TON of music and the computer will be part of our house sound system.

How does this look?

Ticket Number: 456408

Total Price with Instant Savings: $3,162.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=456408

Specifications:

System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (i7 Processors Only)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans Internal Lighting: - No
ThanksEnhancements: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Warranty: FREE PROMO: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 10:12pm

Final tweaks...

Ticket Number: 458045

Total Price with Instant Savings: $3,012.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=458045

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - HAF 922 Exterior Finish: - Standard

Factory Finish Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Keyboard: - No Thanks\
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Xtra Large)
cooganm View Drop Down

Quote cooganm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 7:57am
Nice KK.  You finally gonna stop mulling and get this thing done!? Excited
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 4:24pm
Order placed!  Now starts the wait!  Drooling

Edit:  I should add how my purchase went as well.  I was not able to put in the order online so I called into DS.  I got through to sales very quickly and spoke with an extremely helpful and courteous salesperson.  I gave him my build number, he walked through it with me, constantly asking at points if I had questions or wanted more information and we got the deal done.  He was also very professional in asking about my online experience with the DS website and how I knew about DS.  All in all, it was a very good experience. 

I am officially at Stage 1.  I was wondering, should I have gotten an email notification that the order was processed?  I gave him my email account...

KK

Edited by KKrusher - 20 Nov 2010 at 3:51pm
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 8:06pm

Holy cow!  I was checking earlier today and saw no updates from stage 1.  I finish dinner tonight (I am in the EST zone), get online to check and I have jumped all the way to stage 5!  Excellent!Awesome

Has anyone noticed how badly I am in Stage 8!  Frustrated  Just need to hold out a little while longer!

KK
cooganm View Drop Down

Quote cooganm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 3:08pm
Hey KK, I'm with you!  I jumped through the first 5 stages very quickly, but have been squarely there since the 19th and am awaiting the elusive stages 6 and 7.

So, I have this vision of the my rig (whom I've named, 'Rosie') sitting there testing away.  Hopefully not much longer...hope there are no problems!  Just hard not to worry as you're waiting... Scared

Coog
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 9:00pm
Stage 6!  Great news to go with turkey and gravy!Drooling

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

KK
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 4:07pm
Stage 7!!!  Excited

KK
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 8:10pm
WOW SOUNDS AWESOME.
BE SURE TO POST A REVIEW UP WHEN YOU GET IT
SORRY MY PHONES CAPS LOCK KEY IS STUCK AND I CAN'T TYPE IN LOWERCASW
Steam:pcmaster160
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 8:27pm
It shipped!!!  w00t!  Awesome

I am going to set up a home wireless network for my new system (hard wire), my old computer (wireless) and my PS3 system (wireless).  Any recommendations on a wireless router and adapter (for the old computer)?  I have friends who are pushing Netgear.  I would love to know what people recommend.

My stage 8 hurts!LOL

KK
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 12:19am
well stage 8 is better than not having the money yet! haha and that's a good idea. ill leave putting the new wires thru the wall until im in stage 8 so I have something to do.
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 8:13am
Okay, I just figured something out and I need a little help from DS.  I have gotten no e-mails concerning my order since this whole process began.  The mail server for my personal e-mail has been having some issues so I thought it was not a big deal...I would get DS e-mails eventually.  Well my mail service is back up and running and still no DS e-mails.  I checked my order invoice and guess what?  My e-mail address is spelled incorrectly!  I never checked...I put my order in over the phone and it must have been misspelled when my account was set up.Oops  It is strange - if the e-mails were getting bounced back I am surprised that no one thought to call my contact number...Confused

I sent in a Personal Help Request to customer service to correct the spelling of my e-mail address and to resend any communications associated with my order.  I hope someone at DS sees this (Sarah or Alex) or the help ticket and can help me out with this.  Not a major issue but I would like a record of all the communications that should have come - and I want to post my overclock specs. 

KK
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 10:29am
In general NetGear has some really good products, I would have went with NetGear for the router had I not already had a Router for my Verizon FiOS connection and used a NetGear 24 port Switch to wire up all the rooms in the house.
Smarmy View Drop Down

Quote Smarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 10:57am
Originally posted by MagiK

In general NetGear has some really good products, I would have went with NetGear for the router had I not already had a Router for my Verizon FiOS connection and used a NetGear 24 port Switch to wire up all the rooms in the house.

I've been sitting on the fence whether I should switch to Verizon. I'm currently with Comcast (It's bombastic). Have you been happy with Verizon?
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 11:09am
Verizon FiOS rocks, but I cannot speak for their non Fiber Internet service.  We have had FiOS since it became available and dumped Comcast/Xfinity in a heartbeat

We are running a 35mb/35mb connection that Ive never seen rivaled by any of the other services I have had.
Smarmy View Drop Down

Quote Smarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 11:28am
Verizon FIOS is available to me. That is what I'd get if I switched. I'd also get phone and TV from it as well. It should actually be cheaper at least for a while. I'm just reluctant for several reasons. For instance, I'm a little concerned about where they can place the connection in my house so I don't have to go to WiFi or rewire the house. I also have a TIVO I'd rather keep. I understand they have cable cards available though. I'm just averse to change.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 11:36am
Yeah we did our whole package with FiOS, TV, Internet, Land line and Cell
Been very happy with it for the last several years.  In our case they brought the fiber into the house at the same location all the other Cable connections came in, there was no need for us to rewire our internal wiring.  We did hard wire the house with cat5e ethernet because it is much more reliable and faster than wireless...and more secure.  The TV connections stayed the same.

We also have 4 Tivo units 2 of them are newer and use multi-channel cable cards while the other two are older series 3 units that use single channel cable cards with no FiOS induced problems.

Edited by MagiK - 30 Nov 2010 at 11:41am
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 7:36pm
Thread hijack alert!  Thread hijack alert!  Big%20Smile

Question was concerning recommendations for wireless routers.  And then a request for help concerning e-mails for my order....

KK
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 9:31pm
Update on my issues with my e-mail address and order notifications.  I spoke with a very pleasant customer service representative this evening.  She looked up my order and corrected my e-mail address on the spot.  She is looking into whether or not they can forward me all the e-mails I should have been receiving during the process of my order being filled...and will contact me about that tomorrow.  I have already received an e-mail confirming the alteration to my account information so I know all is good.

I also got an e-mail reply to my help ticket I put in earlier...so I know stuff has been fixed.

Very nice service indeed.  Big%20Smile  Thanks DS!

Now hopefully they can forward me all the e-mail notifications...so I can see the overclock stats on my new computer and post it here!!

KK
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 7:58pm
Okay, another update on my situation...

I received an e-mail from DS customer support.  After they corrected my e-mail, they were able to forward all of the e-mail notifications and communications I should have received over the last week.  All fixed!  Very nice and effective service.

So here are the stats on my overclock...  I am not very knowledgable on this stuff...how do the temps and clock speeds look?

KK

Processor Temperatures

Idle: 69C
Overnight Load: 84C 

Video Card Temperatures

100 Percent Load: 32C
Overclocked Processor Settings
Before Stepdown CPU GHz: 3.06
After Stepdown CPU GHz: 3.9
CPU Multiplier: 21
Voltage CPU VCore: 1.3625
VDroop Control: Yes
i7 - BCLK MHz: 188
i7 - Voltage QPI\DRAM:
i7 - Voltage QPI\PLL:
i7 - Voltage CPU VTT:
i7 - Voltage IOH Vcore:
i7 - Voltage ICH Vcore:
i7 - Voltage IOH/ICH I/O:
i7 - PWM Frequency:
780i/790i - Memory Clock Mode:
780i/790i - CPU FSB MHz:
780i/790i - Voltage FSB:
780i/790i - Voltage SPP:
780i/790i - Voltage MCP:

Overclocked Memory Settings

Actual Memory Speed MHz:
i7 - Memory Ratio MHz:
Memory Speed MHz:
Voltage Memory (i7 - Dimm Voltage): 1.65
Timings (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS): 9-9-9-24
i7 - Voltage DRAM Bus:
780i/790i - Memory Clock Mode:
780i/790i - CPU FSB MHz:

Overclocked Video Card Settings

Core MHz:
Memory MHz:
Shader MHz:
Motherboard BIOS: 0603
Video Card Driver: 262.99
Chipset Driver: CD
Sound Card Driver: CD
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 10:33pm
It has arrived!  Awesome  Showed up late today.  I have only opened up the box but I will get to setting it up tomorrow.  Great packing job!

Review and pics to follow soon!Drooling

KK
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 11:34pm
Still jealous....  Congrats on your good fortune....  Did I mention...jealous?  Hahaha
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 11:56pm
Can't wait to see your review! Awesome

Its odd though, you got a lot more information in regards to your system than I did. Maybe it depends on who inspects it?
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 1:31am
yea same can't wait for the review.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>