FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Back in the Saddle Again

Post Date: 2020-05-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VonStupp View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote VonStupp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Back in the Saddle Again
    Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:57am
Trying to get back in it again, but being a decade older since the last time I bought from DS, I want to make sure everything works together, and isn't underdone or overblown. Any thoughts...

Budget: $3500-4000

Expectations: My current DS is 10 years old. If I can last another 10 years, can't I expect the same from a computer?

Usage: Gaming, some video editing

Config ID 3105743

Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair / EVGA (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i PRO - 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2020 at 1:05pm
Keeping your cost range in mind, I would make the following tweaks:

Configurator -      3106037

The Z390-H is not meant for overclocking the 9900K. I recommend dropping down to the 9700F. That's not overclockable but you still get the 9700 boost clocks. You could also drop 16gb RAM.

Other tweaks could include dropping the 2080Ti in favor of a 2070 Super. That savings alone could be put towards upgrading the motherboard to a Maximus XI and keeping the 9900K.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2020 at 10:02pm
He has a similar build to my amended build, but he has the 2080 TI and I have a 2080. But he plans on doing video editing so that 32GB of RAM is very useful. I do photo editing which is why I went with 32GB.

Here is my amended build:

Configurator - 3092967

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:33pm
Welcome back VonStupp. Awesome

That is a nice system you configured. No need to tweak the OS.
Enjoy. Big%20Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2020 at 4:58am
As far as motherboards available here, it turns out the Z390 -H is not well thought of as an overclocker, but neither is the Z390 Maximus Hero. Perhaps you just bypass all with a 10700K and a Z490 mobo, and forget the OC? When you need the speed, it turbos to 5.1 all by itself.

The choice of the 2080 Ti is not supported in your narrative by any need, and it's just a waste of money for 1440p gaming. The 2080 SUPER exceeds necessity, but some people like overkill. If you think the 2080 Ti will please you at 4K, you better want to stay around 60-75 fps, especially with ray tracing on.

Going Samsung PRO model in the 1 TB NVMe is a waste. The performance is negligible. You wouldn't even notice it in a side-by-side test. Personally, I like to have a smaller primary for OS, apps, maintenance software, several favorite games and drive scans that execute in seconds instead of minutes. The smaller Samsung 512GB PRO NVMe is actually cheaper than the PLUS in that flavor. Perhaps you have other SSDs to bring over from your current rig, but if not, you might consider ditching the HDD for a SATA SSD for secondary storage.

The "OS tweak" is obsolete. Waste.

These are just my 2 cents. I don't think you have to change your original build for budget reasons, the discount keeps you well under $4000. I was unaware of the OC issues until GrandesBollas brought them up with his impeccable research. Turns out some are concerned about excessive heat with the Asus Z390 boards, as they do not heat protect the VRMs like some other brands. I often think overclocking a CPU that already performs like these do is, "who's gonna know?" (Or care?)

If you like your original really, really a lot, think over the 2080 Ti with a new line of cards coming in the Fall, and don't waste your money on the 1TB PRO and the OS tweak.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2020 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Cretae

The choice of the 2080 Ti is not supported in your narrative by any need, and it's just a waste of money for 1440p gaming. The 2080 SUPER exceeds necessity, but some people like overkill. If you think the 2080 Ti will please you at 4K, you better want to stay around 60-75 fps, especially with ray tracing on.

The 2070 SUPER, with the exception of the blower version, was in short supply last week. When I found out that mine was going to be a blower I wanted to make a change that would get me an open air cooler because of how the computer will be placed on the right side of my extended desk with the blower blowing right at me. In order to do that, with current supply, I was either going into potentially a long wait for a 2070 Super open air cooler or go to a 2080 Super. I went with the 2080 Super for those reasons.
VonStupp View Drop Down

Quote VonStupp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2020 at 9:15am
Wow everyone, thanks so much for all of your quick, incisive input! I will look over these suggestions and come up with a modified configuration.
VonStupp View Drop Down

Quote VonStupp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2020 at 10:58am
Thanks again everyone!

I think I followed most of the suggestions, but please double check my work: I dropped the CPU overclock and changed the 2080 Ti to the 2080 Super, knowing there may be low supplies of the 2070 Super. With the savings, I upgraded to the suggested ASUS Z490, but I still want to make sure I chose my pairings wisely. I have not yet dropped the RAM, but realize I could go with 16GB, and I changed the primary Samsung storage. Any redundancy, mismatches, overheating, or overzealous choices here?

Config ID 3109539

Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos

Core Components
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-10900K (5.3 GHz Turbo) (20-Thread) (10-Core) 3.7 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XII Hero (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z490 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair / EVGA (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i PRO - 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Green - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2020 at 12:01pm
What a BEAST for under $3500!!

I would keep the #@GB of RAM, you can use the extra for your editing, and it's not too expensive these days.

I see you went for a 10900K and a beefier mobo to support it. Impressive!

It's good to see the return of the Corsair all-in-one cooler and it's 5 year warranty!

If this build doesn't make you smile every day once you have it, I'll take it off your hands. Well done.
VonStupp View Drop Down

Quote VonStupp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 11:24am
Cretae, Thanks for the help! If my wife kicks this thing out of the house, you get first dibs!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 4:56am

It's a pleasure.
 Post Reply Post Reply