FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Back to the Drawing Board

Post Date: 2016-10-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
josh134 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Back to the Drawing Board
    Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 3:25pm
Well, I was anxiously awaiting completion of my Aura build. Today, I was informed by DS that the Aura cannot support a Titan X graphics card because the power supply is limited to 450 Watts.

Therefore, the All-In-One is a no-go.

I am now working on an Aventum build and need some feedback form you gurus:

I will be buying a 34" 4K monitor and want to run high end games on ultimate settings.

I am conflicted between a single Titan X card, 2 GTX 1080 SLI, or 2 Titan X SLI. The 2 Titan X SLI is probably a bit out of my price range.

Here are 3 proposed builds:

1509655 - Aventum 3, 2 Titan X SLI

1509656 - Aventum 3, 1 Titan X

1509660 - Aventum 3, 2 GTX 1080’s SLI
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 3:38am
josh, my sincere advice is to hold off on the monitor until the 120Hz 4K monitors are available-first models coming early 2017 last i heard.  with all of that hardware you're planning on putting in your rig there really in no reason to go with anything below 4K, and you don't want to do that a 60hz (which is what is available currently). 

a single 1080 can handle 1440p just fine. 

also, make sure you tell DS exactly which fittings/blocks/gpu terminal you want them to use in your loop.  i know they're using EK models, but you can get them in different finishes and materials.  go to ekwb web site to see full range of options. 

as for your builds, you changed each one in many areas, so i'm wondering what exactly your needs are.  you don't need 32GB of ram for gaming currently.  a 6-core processor is also unnecessary, especially paired with Nvidia cards that don't take advantage of DX12 at all.  6-core procs do scale somewhat depending on the game (in a very small sample size so far mind you), and AMD graphics make up a lot of ground lost to Nvidia in a DX11 environment, with overall performance relatively equal in DX12.  the vast majority of games are still DX11 based, so a fast overclockable quad core is perfectly fine. 

it's your money, but if all you're using this pc for is gaming and web surfing i'd suggest some areas where you can save money and stretch your budget towards an optimal gaming machine. 

from my research on the Titan X (Pascal) when it first came out: 

1) really expensive, not a bang for buck (price>performance) purchase; however if you've got the scratch to consider buying an Aventum then you're not a person looking for bargains.

2) it's an extremely powerful beast, which in Nvidia's great wisdom, held back by an inadequate cooler and bios (read: power delivery). 

now, the thermal throttling is easily overcome with a full cover water block/liquid cooling, which just happens to be available now.

the power delivery issue is trickier.  what's really needed is a custom bios (or better yet, one from Nvidia that doesn't cut your card's ballz off).  another approach, is a shunt mod.  however, i'm not sure even i'd be willing to do that to a card as expensive as this one.  maybe Meller would?  Yo Meller!!

all that being said, the Titan X (properly cooled) is the single most powerful graphics option available.  you should be able to wring some more performance out of it with the proper liquid cooling setup that should give you more than enough performance at single monitor 4k gaming.  if you want to jump up to 5K and beyond you'll need multiple cards. 

why single card?  because it's reliable performance w/o guess work or trade offs (like stuttering, poor SLI scaling, and lack of support).  i currently run dual 980ti's in my gaming rig and i've been (mostly) disappointed with the lack of multi gpu support and proper SLI scaling.  let me tell you, it sux seeing my second card sitting there at 18% utilization in some games.  and before you read somewhere that most games are providing good sli support/scaling it's been my experience that you'll see your second card not scaling up anywhere near what they promise in reviews, so ymmv. 

the other thing to consider is that even fast oc'd procs are bottle-necking high end multi gpu configs.  i have a Skylake [email protected] GHz (24/7 oc) and i see it bottle-necking my 980ti's sometimes.  not by a lot mind you, but it's there.  you need to go high rez for better scaling and to shift processing to the gpu(s).  i'm pretty sure Skylake still has the fastest per core performance.   

here's my 2xTtian X gaming config for you: 1509935

as you can see it comes in $800 less w/o sacrificing any gaming performance compared to yours.  reduce it to 1xTitan X and change the power supply to a 750W, adjust the LC to just 1 gpu and you can save even more if you just want to try single monitor 4k (might have to lower some game settings depending on game demands).  you should be able to oc that Titan enough under water to get good frame rates even with very high settings. 

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 4:03am
You're the man!! Thanks. I'll get back to you.
josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 4:13am
Thanks again for your input. I definitely need a new monitor now because I'm using a 5 year old Dell Ultrasharp currently. My thought is to get a Predator X34 for now and upgrade next year when the 4K 144's come out. Ill be able to move the Predator at that time to a different computer.

I've reworked the build. I'm ready to go SLI with 2 Titan X cards. I chose the 6700 processor. I like the new Pro 960 M.2 SSD (512).

Final thoughts before i pull the trigger? Anything I should do regarding the choice of fans?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by josh134 - 26 Oct 2016 at 1:10pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 2:48pm
i'm not so sure about your choice of the generic ram in a high end rig like this.  i put the Corsair performance ram in my system.  you don't need the 3000+MHz either.  DDR4 memory on Skylake/Z170 performs best in the 2666MHz area.  performance benchmarks flatten out after that.  not only that, there is literally no real world performance gain either in games of productivity scenarios.  and, you can get lower/tighter timings with the 2666MHz kits.  besides, DDR4 has a wide range of frequencies and oc's well under Skylake's good memory controller.   

in all honesty, i don't favor DS's choice of fan options.  neither the Corsair's nor the Thermaltake fans are optimal.  that's why i special ordered Cougar's for my rig.  if i had it to do over i'd probably go with Scythe Gentle Typhoon, Noctua, or those new be quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 2:56pm
almost forgot, with a system as complex as yours, you might want to consider the extended warranty.  it's been my experience that after some initial potential issues the next most frequent break down will probably occur right after the 1 year mark and that's after the DS basic 1-year on parts replacement occurs.   i advise the 5-year labor/3-year parts for $299.  that price is fairly good among the major boutique system builders (--------, --------, etc.).    

EDIT: Removed Competitor Names - Alex

Edited by Alex - 26 Oct 2016 at 3:01pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 4:15pm
DB, per your comments, I changed my config to 1510222.

Basically, i went from the 32GB DDR4 3000 (Digital Storm Performance) to the 32GB DDR4 2666 (Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX-Extreme).

Let me know your thoughts on this change.

Also, what are your thoughts on the Stage 2 overclock for the CPU and the overclocking for the graphics cards?
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 4:24pm
sorry AlexOops

yeah, i run Dominators in my rig as well and they look boss too!

i prefer doing my own oc'ing and testing.  i devote a weekend to it usually.  i seriously doubt DS does that.  however, if you aren't comfortable learning how to do it yourself might as well have them do it. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 4:27pm
I definitely would prefer for DS to do it. I guess my question goes more toward overkill by overclocking, and potentially causing stability problems. For my prior DS build from 5 years ago i only did stage 1 overclock of the CPU and no overclocking of the graphics cards. I read a lot of stuff back then about how overclocking graphics cards was causing problems. should i be worried about a stage 2 OC and graphics card OC on this system?
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 5:28pm
couple of options:

1) you can have DS oc the cpu and/or gpu(s) and ship it with the oc
2) have them oc as above, save to profile in bios, have them reset the system to default settings and ship
3) have them ship the system with default settings (no oc)

if you choose number 2, they will have it configured should you want to at a later time enable the oc.  it will be saved in the bios and you can easily load it from there with a reboot and entry into the UEFI bios.  this options has the benefit of waiting to see if you even need to oc and still having it done by DS.

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 6:41am
Thank you.

If I was going to go with a DS fans' selection, what are your thoughts on the high performance LED's?
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 5:51pm
none of the Corsair fans on offer by DS have enough static pressure to be good as radiator fans.  and they're not the most quiet fans either.  like i said, there are far better options out there.

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 5:46am
The final order has been placed. Here it is:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Aventum 3
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W EVGA 1000 GQ
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (Pascal) (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Graphics Cards + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Blue - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)

I have asked DS to make sure all fans are the LED Blue. I have also asked them not to install McAfee. My question is whether there are any other custom or specific requests I should ask DS for in reference to this build. I have seen some discussion in other threads about connecting fans directly to the CPU's motherboard. Is that something i want DS to do here?

Any final advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 3:23am
Congratulations. That is a very niceStrong system.
Get DS to install a drain valve at the lowest point so in a year or two you can change the coolant easier than without one.
Enjoy.

Just noticed you do not state the warranty you ordered. As db188 suggested, the standard warranty only covers parts for 1 year, you should get a longer term. One year flies.

Edited by hoserator - 05 Nov 2016 at 3:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply