FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Basic guidance requested

Post Date: 2012-01-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zzsteven View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote zzsteven Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Basic guidance requested
    Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 4:27pm

Hi,

After two weeks of flakiness my game puter died last night. Cry  It lasted 5 years so it's hard to complain but a new puter wasn't in my budget for this year.
Been looking at the various builds here and am getting frustrated trying figure out what I need. So I'm asking for some advice and guidance.

Usage:
 99.9% will be games

Type of Games:

My Favorite Games:
   Simcity 4
   Silent Hunter 3
 Games I play alot:
   Games by Paradox Interactive like HOI3, EU3, Vicky2, etc
   Pride of Nations and other games by AegeoD
   Games like SPWAW, and World at War

Play occasionally and like:
   Flight sims, CIV4, RTS type games
 Games I would like to play:
   Rise of Flight looks like fun. I would like to try some of those online games I read about. Who knows, maybe I'll like them.
   Not really interested in FPS type games but might like to try one or two just to see.
Special needs:
   It gets hot in this house. The normal summer temp in here is 78-82 with the puters turned off. Much higher when they're both on.
Screen Resolution:
   It depends on which I plug in.
   #1 1920x1080
   #2 1360x768  This was the TV, lousy resolution but has a 25" screen. I might slurge and get a Dell U3011, it's reccomended here
and 30" screen.... WOW. At the higher resolutions I would need a larger screen.

Budget:
 Have $4000 available. I would like to spend around $2500, not counting a monitor, but am fairly flexible.
Questions / Concerns:
 1- Recovery Disk: Have three ABS puters and all have been 'recovery disk hell '. If I can get the disk to even start it can take 6 to 10 trys
to get everything to install. Has anyone ever reformatted their DS puter? If so, how was it?
 2- Ports: When I got my first ABS puter I was shocked that it didn't have a place to plug in my Forcefeedback joystick. I learned to ask about plugging things in.
What can be plugged in and how many?
 3- SLI: All three of the puters were built with SLI and the intention to add another card later........ Yeah right, that never happened and the the games I played seemed to have cared less.
Do I need SLI for the games I play and the ones I want to try out?
 4- Upgradeability: All the rigs DS has posted mention this. It's been my experience that real upgradeability depends on the case. This puter, a Tsunami Dream case, is a breeze to work in. One of the other puters is a PITA.
How are the DS cases. What would be reccomended?

I'll be buying a puter this week from DS and am looking for some thoughts on what to look for.

Edit to add: I don't need a 'bleeding edge ' machine, just a really good one that is stable and reliable with the ability to upgrade / replace components as needed.

Thank you for any help
zz

Edited by zzsteven - 14 Jan 2012 at 4:41pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 7:03pm
1. clone your os drive you don't have to worry about all that.

2. what kind of port you looking for?

3. if your games don't utilize sli correctly then there is no point in getting sli cause it won't be used by the game.

only reasons to get sli are:

your games utilize sli correctly and the game you play at your res needs sli to max out.

4. once we figure what your needs are then I will give you a config that will have everything in it and you can see.

Now we need you to decide if you want sli ability and if so do you want tri sli ability or only dual sli ability.

disable one of your gpus in your system and see if the game play is the same with one gpu and two, if its the same then your games are not utilizing sli correctly and you have no use for sli, if it does make a difference then you need sli and whether you need tri sli or dual sli ability is dependent on whether you want to run a 24' at 1900 x 1200 or a 30" at 2560 x 1600 res.
zzsteven View Drop Down

Quote zzsteven Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

1. clone your os drive you don't have to worry about all that.
I used to know how to do that...... but it has been years.... I'll ask how later.

2. what kind of port you looking for?
 Specifically, I'm looking for a place to plug the second printer in. A standard printer port. If it would require a seperate card then I think I would buy one for the puter I'm currently on if I have a slot for it. Will look in there later to see if I have an open slot.
What usb ports are available. I realize this is a stupid question but am having a problem with having only two usb ports on my laptop and it's something that's on my mind and the pictures of the puters don't really show them.

3. if your games don't utilize sli correctly then there is no point in getting sli cause it won't be used by the game.

only reasons to get sli are:

your games utilize sli correctly and the game you play at your res needs sli to max out.
I figured as much, been wasting my money on SLI and the Raid 0 thing.

4. once we figure what your needs are then I will give you a config that will have everything in it and you can see.
As long as the case is large enough for me to get my fumbling fingers in it. :) 

Now we need you to decide if you want sli ability and if so do you want tri sli ability or only dual sli ability.
 Dual SLI is suffcient for my needs. 

disable one of your gpus in your system and see if the game play is the same with one gpu and two, if its the same then your games are not utilizing sli correctly and you have no use for sli, if it does make a difference then you need sli and whether you need tri sli or dual sli ability is dependent on whether you want to run a 24' at 1900 x 1200 or a 30" at 2560 x 1600 res.
I wasn't clear before in my first post; none of my puters have ever had more than one GPU installed. Also as I said, the game puter died last night. 30" at 2560x1600 res = about $1300..... I am willing to buy it for the larger screen size; if it requires 3 GPU's then no.....does the DELL U 3011 need 3 GPU's? You haven't been clear in your posts in the other threads.
The games I'm going to play "tomorrow" will need dual SLI.

Thank you for helping and I hope my replies were coherent
zz
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 10:22pm
1. you can follow my clone guide here

2. are you talking about the old school printer ports? those are no longer on motherboards.

there are over 10 usb ports on most of these mobos, here is the one I will probably recommend to you:

asus z68 (looks to have 16 usb ports, 12(2.0) and 4(3.0).

3. you say you have been wasting money on sli but later in the post you say you want dual sli, if sli was no use before, are you sure you need it now?

4. You don't get a $1300 30" monitor because of larger screen size, you get it because it has a supperior panel that is IPS, and the fact that it has a 2560 x 1600 res, otherwise you can get a tn panel 30" with 1600 x 1200 res and not pay anywhere near $1300. Also don't buy the u30 for $1300, instead look around for coupons or wait for sales, you can get the u30 for around $1100.

Edited by DST4ME - 14 Jan 2012 at 10:26pm
zzsteven View Drop Down

Quote zzsteven Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 12:44am
1- Thanks for the link, bookmarked.
2- Yes, old school..... sigh.  I looked and it's not a problem. 12 usb ports will be more than I will ever use....... I said something similiar about another subject a few years ago and was proven very wrong LOL

3- I don't need it for the current games I'm playing. For the games I "might" play tomorrow....... I don't know, maybe? What do these online games require? I've never looked at them and am guessing as to the needs. I was thinking along the lines of a 570 for a GPU,  a decent middle of the road card, the second would be another $400. Over the years of buying different puters, I learned that the GPU is important to how well my games played. So I figure it would be more important in some of these other games. I'm really just guessing about SLI and sort of trying to "hedge my bet". Confused Argghhh I really don't think I need SLI I just don't want to cut myself short on a puter that will have to last me for another 4 to 5 years..... I know I can't ' future proof' it but am trying to do something .... the game puter dying on me now was not really in my budget. I was planning to buy a bed next month, instead a computer is now in my plans. LOL

4- I don't need a 30" monitor, it was a cool idea for a bit but reality said "NO!' sigh. Maybe a 24" down the road...... 

So looking at that MB, it supports SLI... ROFL. Next question is one GPU or two.
 Bahhhh One is all I really need today.... unless it's more cost effective I suppose I'll stick with one GPU for the time being.

Thank you DST4ME for helping to bring my desires back to earth.

zz

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 1:57am
3. well for games like bf3 you would need sli but if you have played your games just fine with single gpu then IMHO single gpu is what you need.

for a single gpu system that can do dual sli anything, look at this:

Ticket Number: 643844, keep in mind you get another $100 of that price for the promo.

Ask DS specifically for this fan to be added to the top, so you endup with 4 x 200mm fans:

haf 200mm non led fan

Ask for vcore lower then 1.4 for your oc.
zzsteven View Drop Down

Quote zzsteven Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 5:37am
Thank you DST4ME,

Before my first post I had been playing with the configurations. My config: 643741
Sorry, I don't know how to do a link yet. I started from the Dreadnought level3, you must have started elswhere. ;0 I'll go with your config and bump Win7 up to pro.

zz

Edit: The puter has been ordered. I keep saying this but Thank you for your help DST4ME.

zz

Edited by zzsteven - 16 Jan 2012 at 9:36pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 6:58am
zzsteven  .... Nice build.Awesome
Congrats on the order.   Big%20Smile

Just 2 questions.     No overclock??  It does work and doesn't harm anything.

And most important...No free t-shirt???   It's freeLOL

Post pics when ya get it..Big%20SmileBig%20Smile
zzsteven View Drop Down

Quote zzsteven Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 7:53am
Originally posted by bprat22

zzsteven  .... Nice build.Awesome
Congrats on the order.   Big%20Smile

Just 2 questions.     No overclock??  It does work and doesn't harm anything.

And most important...No free t-shirt???   It's freeLOL

Post pics when ya get it..Big%20SmileBig%20Smile
Thank you, just need to make sure DS does the fan and the " Ask for vcore lower then 1.4 for your oc." thing, what ever it is. Yes, it's overclocked: I used the build DST4ME posted.

A tshirt.... ehhhhhh oops LOL
Pics??? Uhhmmm I haven't a clue what it will look like. Oops Are there pics here?

oops
zz
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 9:29am
By pics I mean when you get the rig take some pictures inside and out, tell us what you think, upload the pics and post them  and Alex will move it to Customer Reviews for everyone to drool over.Big%20SmileBig%20Smile
I figured DST had the overclocking covered. 
We love pics.Drooling

That's, if you feel like it.  No pressure.  Some get so wrapped up in their new 'toy' they just don't find the time.  Cry

Either way ENJOY..

Edited by bprat22 - 15 Jan 2012 at 9:35am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 12:19am
Congrats Let the torture begin

As bp22 pointed out don't forget to post pics of it when you get it

My pleasure and congrats
zzsteven View Drop Down

Quote zzsteven Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 4:36pm

The torture began yesterday with knowing DS was closed and today being a holiday, would they be open. But got an email this morning, so I know it's all started. Big%20Smile

zz

Edited by zzsteven - 16 Jan 2012 at 9:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply