FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beginner question (4k, GPU)

Post Date: 2017-04-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GrahamDJ View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote GrahamDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Beginner question (4k, GPU)
    Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 7:20am
Greetings. I have taken up PC gaming as a new hobby, and am trying to learn as much as I can.

I have a GTX 1070, and recently upgraded to a 4k LG monitor. Running CSGO and Overwatch at highest settings results in weird lines of pixels flashing and the occasional 2-3 seconds of black screen.

I am assuming the 1070 is not powerful enough to run games at high settings/60fps on a 4k monitor? How should I tweak settings to get (roughly) the same performance I had with my 1080p monitor and no screen issues?

I don't know if switching the in-game resolution and lowering the graphical settings will help keep the GPU from overheating, or if I should do something more intensive.

Thank you for your time and help.

GDJ
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 7:59am
The gtx 1070 can run games at 4K, just not maxed or as high as stronger cards.  I don't think that's your problem. 

Try a different monitor cable....Use a different Display Port on the card...Try adjusting the monitor's screen resolution ,  refresh like 60hz for example, etc.

GrahamDJ View Drop Down

Quote GrahamDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:03am
Originally posted by bprat22

The gtx 1070 can run games at 4K, just not maxed or as high as stronger cards.  I don't think that's your problem.  Try a different monitor cable....Use a different Display Port on the card...Try adjusting the monitor's screen resolution ,  refresh like 60hz for example, etc. 

Thank you for your response. I have tried HDMI and DP, and both had the same issue, but only after I switched to the 4k monitor. I'll continue to try different things tonight, but if anyone else has any advice, let me know.

Thanks again.
GrahamDJ View Drop Down

Quote GrahamDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:45am
When the brief blackouts occur, I notice my GPU is very hot to the touch, so that's why I am assuming it's overheating due to high settings on 4k using only a 1070.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:58am
My next suggestion was to have you check gpu temps under load.  That will cause similar issues.    Regardless of the load due to the monitor, the graphics card shouldn't overheat.

Use HWMONITOR and run it while gaming on the 4K.   The temps should stay in the mid 80's or less.  If not then your card has a cooling issue.

What are your system specs, especially the case and fans that are needed to keep the heat from building.  If the card throws enough heat, esp. the dual fan custom cards, and the case can't get rid of the heat, the card starts recycling the heated air.

GrahamDJ View Drop Down

Quote GrahamDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 9:08am
Vanquish 5
i7 6700k
16GB DDR4
750W EVGA/Corsair
GTX 1070 8GB
High performance cooler with large fan and copper pipes
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 9:12am
Nice.     If all the case fans are working and the 1070 is the reference single fan type then the airflow should be good to go.   The high performance dual fan 1070's dump the heat into the case but your setup should still be good.
 Post Reply Post Reply