Benchmarks Show Windows 7 Pre-Beta to be Bloated,

Post Date: 2008-11-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Benchmarks Show Windows 7 Pre-Beta to be Bloated,
    Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 8:18pm
Benchmarks Show Windows 7 Pre-Beta to be Bloated, With Compatibility Issues

If early testing holds true, so much for running Windows 7 reliably on a netbook

One key Windows 7 feature driven home again and again by Microsoft's Windows team is the superior system performance with respect to Vista. The team, at the recent Professional Developers Conference (PDC), showed off a netbook apparently running the OS smoothly, leading many to hope that their prayers of a smaller-footprint Microsoft OS had been answered.

Unfortunately, it seems the rosy picture painted by the development team at the WinHEC and PDC conferences might have been a bit overly optimistic. InfoWorld has done some extensive early testing on the pre-beta of Windows 7 and the results aren't very impressive in terms of improvement over Vista.

According to InfoWorld, in terms of basic system design, Windows 7 is shaping up to be a OS X like release, in that it is only a minor iteration over Windows Vista, with little change in performance.

Looking first at the kernel, both Vista and Windows 7 M3 (Milestone 3, the other name for the pre-beta) featured 97 to 100 processes. The system process also consumes a similar amount of memory to Vista, according to the writer. He states, "This was not "MinWin," the mythical, streamlined new Windows kernel that promised a clean break with the bloated Vista... In fact, as I worked my way through the process lists of the two operating systems, I was struck by the extent of the similarities."

He continues to reinforce this assertion by pointing to key subsystems such as Desktop Window Manager (dwm) and Client/Server Runtime (csrss), which were virtually identical in Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Using a test suite composed of Clarity Studio's ADO (ActiveX Data Objects), in particular, the MAPI (Messaging Application Programming Interface), and WMP (Windows Media Player) Stress workload objects, InfoWorld set to stress testing the system after examining the kernel. Windows Vista had been shown in March to be 40 percent slower under load than Windows XP, using this test suite, so how would Windows 7 fare?

The results were that Windows Vista actually beat Windows 7's pre-beta by 5 percent in database tasks, while Windows 7 scraped by with a 2 percent win in workflow tasks.

The memory usage during testing was remarkably similar -- 637MB for Vista and 658MB for Windows 7. The thread count was also very close -- 712 for Windows 7 versus 810 for Vista. InfoWorld's Randall Kennedy sums up his conclusions, stating, "In a nutshell, Windows 7 M3 is a virtual twin of Vista when it comes to performance. The few minor variations I observed during comparative testing are easily explained away by slight tweaks to the kernel (such as the aforementioned MDAC changes); they certainly don't indicate a significant performance overhaul."

The reviewer praised the updated UI, stating it was far more than an OS X clone. He argues this is the key feature of the new version of Windows, not improved performance.

However, he also points out numerous frustrating software compatibility issues that he ran across, which could indicate a repeat of Windows Vista's early problems. The Daemon Tools suite, an ISO image-mounting utility, installable under Windows XP and Vista, would not install. When the author tried to use the compatibility tab, he found himself stuck in an "endless loop of failed installations and mandatory reboots".

Additionally, Skype 3.8 would randomly crash with no apparent cause. Also, VMware Workstation would not launch virtual machines, though the exact cause of this problem was not able to be determined.

So has Microsoft tried to pull a fast one on the audience, preparing a Vista-twin with similar problems to its sibling, while deceptively promising a lean fully-compatible fresh OS? It remains to be seen if this is the case, as many changes remain in upcoming beta releases. However, with only a year to go, initial testing is indeed showing a troublesome resemblance to Vista in terms of performance and compatibility problems, a stark departure from the cheery picture painted at Microsoft's PDC.

Edited by DST4ME - 11 Nov 2008 at 8:19pm
Nomak View Drop Down

Quote Nomak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 8:23pm
They should stick with Vista and tweak the hell out of it.

Windows 7.. whats next Windows 8 "Everything in Windows 7 but now we get it the way it was supposed to be at release"
MyThLoSt View Drop Down

Quote MyThLoSt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 1:08pm
we should probly  wait till its done before  we criticize it
Nomak View Drop Down

Quote Nomak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 2:19pm

Well i wasnt an early vista user, so i didnt have to endure whatever crap there was before SP1.

But i am enjoying the OS as it is right now. Only things that would bring me over from Vista to W7 is dx10.1.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 2:33pm
I like vista also, GPUs even fold faster on vista 64bit then thy do on XP.

But yes I always say, let the product come out before we pass judgement.

I was just reporting news that was out, but final decisions need to saved for final versions.
MyThLoSt View Drop Down

Quote MyThLoSt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 2:34pm
 when is windows 7 expected to be out?
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 2:40pm
Windows 7 retail is expected sometime between 2H 2009 and 1H 2010.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Kliebor2 View Drop Down

Quote Kliebor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 2:41pm
Microsoft currently plans to ship Windows 7 by early 2010.

DaveAngry
Digital Storm 950Si - Q9450 Quad Core @ 3 Ghz
Dual PNY OC2 GTX 560Ti
8 Gigabytes DDR2/800
2 Western Digital 500 GB SATAII 7200 RPM HD
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 2:43pm
ya we will see about that
 Post Reply Post Reply