FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Benefits of the Velox case?

Post Date: 2020-11-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dudebro View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dudebro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Benefits of the Velox case?
    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 1:32pm
So, going through my build I notice that I can use a standard Digital Storm Slade X case. Or I could upgrade to a Digital Storm Velox case for $245. my big question is what does the case do that's worth a 245 dollar upgrade. I'm pretty ambivalent about "bling" cases. Lights and windows and such are fine, but I don't consider them necessary. From a practical perspective, what would the extra 245 dollars get me?

If it matters, this is my current build specs:

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Slade X <br><strong></strong>
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-10900X (10-Core) (Boost Up to 4.5 GHz)
Motherboard: MSI X299 PRO (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 2:59pm
They are DS designed best air flow case. Even with DS's generic fans, you will get 6, glass tinted panels on both sides and a little roomier than the other cases, except the Aventum.

Love my Velox!
Old Gamers Never Die!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 3:12pm
Congrats and welcome to DS.

The Velox, as well as the Aventum, are DS' exclusive proprietary designs. They both have their windows on the right hand side and their mobos are installed upside down with the gpu(s) on top so you get to watch their fans. If under lc with the clear cooling back, you get to see their innards.

The Velox says it is an ATX sized case but you can choose an EATX card and no conflicts pop up so...I personally think it will fit. I have an old one (when you could get fans installed on the window in front of the gpus).

A comment. You should change, if possible and within budget, your Storage set 1 to a NVMe drive. The interface is the PCIe bus and not SATA and therefor way faster in booting and loading up.
Enjoy.
Dudebro View Drop Down

Quote Dudebro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by fwfdfireman

They are DS designed best air flow case. Even with DS's generic fans, you will get 6, glass tinted panels on both sides and a little roomier than the other cases, except the Aventum.

Love my Velox!

Ok, cool, thanks. It sounds like a lot of the advantage is optics? Seeing into the comp through the window, the lights, etc? For me, stuff like that is fine, but not necessary. But for the practical purposes, it also improves air flow? Also its a bit bigger which gives more upgrade options? That sound about right?

How quiet is it? Some cases are better than others for sound. Can the lights and whatnot be shut off? Sometimes I just want the room to be in complete darkness when I play, heh.
Dudebro View Drop Down

Quote Dudebro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Dudebro

Love my Velox!

Ok, cool, thanks. It sounds like a lot of the advantage is optics? Seeing into the comp through the window, the lights, etc? For me, stuff like that is fine, but not necessary. But for the practical purposes, it also improves air flow? Also its a bit bigger which gives more upgrade options? That sound about right?

How quiet is it? Some cases are better than others for sound. Can the lights and whatnot be shut off? Sometimes I just want the room to be in complete darkness when I play, heh.

Thank you for the response. I got the same exact note from someone else in another thread, so I went ahead and went with the upgrade. If everyone is telling me to do it, its probably a good idea, lol.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 6:45pm
DS has their own lights which is one option. Those light up the case and they are LED strips controlled by a small remote. If you get the Corsair fans, ram, cpu cooler, those are all controlled by iCue and the Corsair Commando Pro. Those too can be turned off.

I went with the Velox case, Corsair fans, ram and cpu cooler plus DS's lights. Love them all and quite. If I am really putting the gpu and cpu under a load, fan rpm goes way up and can hear them but not annoying. 90% of the time I don't hear the fans. It's a very quite system.

You will be amazed how fast your system boots up with an NVMe as your boot drive.
Old Gamers Never Die!
ShrykeAbysmal View Drop Down

Quote ShrykeAbysmal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 11:18am

Love my Velox!

I got the Velox with Corsair LL Series fans and the DS Vortex CPU cooler plus 32GB DS Ram. How many fans come with that option? Is it still six?
DigitalStorm Velox
Ryzen 3900X 32GB PC3200 Digital Storm Certified RAM
NVidia RTX3070 8GB
Segate FireCuda PCIe4 500GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
Silverstone 1200W modular PSU
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 1:19pm
It's still six.

Old Gamers Never Die!
Calibrator View Drop Down

Quote Calibrator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 8:47pm
I too have the Velox. I don't see that it has removable filters to clean. Am I missing something? It does have a mesh like covering over the fans but I don't see any easy way to clean them. Any help would be appreciated.
Velox
i9-10980XE
Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders
ASUS ROG Strix X299-E GamingII
64GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair
SSD M.2 512GB 970 PRO NVM
SSD M.2 2TB 970 EVO NVM
4TB Western Digital HD

ASUS PG43UQ 43" 4k 144Hz
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 2:42am
There is no mesh actually. Blowing out the PC is how I clean mine. You can use canned air but they are the least effective. Air compressor or a PC/Electronics blower/vacuum work best.
Old Gamers Never Die!
ShrykeAbysmal View Drop Down

Quote ShrykeAbysmal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 9:05am
The Velox is an amazing case. Heavy, secure, easily customizable, cool and quiet. I can't even hear mine running, regardless of what I'm doing. It's got six fans and they are fully customizable for LED (if you get the Corsair LLs) even without buying extra control boards by just downloading iCue for free and using that plus the Aura configurator and the included remote (for the actual case LEDs). Super easy drive changing. Easy to get to everything because there's a ton of space. I didn't get the whole piped liquid cooling setup so that makes it easier. I got the dual Corsair fan cooling block setup and it's been more than enough to keep things cool. I love the Velox.

DigitalStorm Velox
Ryzen 3900X 32GB PC3200 Digital Storm Certified RAM
NVidia RTX3070 8GB
Segate FireCuda PCIe4 500GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
Silverstone 1200W modular PSU
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 12:02pm
The front has a mesh filter and you have to: 1. remove both sides (mine are old style where they were snapped in) and 2. remove 4 small screws ( 2 on each side, on mine they are phllips heads) holding the front panel to the chassis. Once those are off, the panel  is easy to remove. (Note: careful with wires that may be attached, if any). there is a fine mesh filter held with magnetic sides. remove, clean and replace. Attach front panel back on and put sides back on.
Good luck.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 5:45pm
I am excited about getting my new Velox build. It will be replacing a 12 year old Digital Storm system in a HAF case. Over the 12 years I only had to replace two fans on a CoolerMaster V8 CPU cooling unit covering my OCed i7 from back in the day.

Edited by Onkel_Ken - 22 Oct 2021 at 5:45pm
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
 Post Reply Post Reply