FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Cable for Monitor

Post Date: 2021-10-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
brendonmccullum455 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote brendonmccullum455 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Best Cable for Monitor
    Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 6:04pm
Hi,
The GPU I bought supports DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI. The monitor I have previously owned is 1080p, but only has HDMI, DVI, and VGA ports. I know there are adapters and other cables that support two different types of ports out there. Which cable should I get for my setup? When I buy a second monitor should I stick to one type of cable?
Thanks

Edited by brendonmccullum455 - 21 Oct 2021 at 6:06pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 3:31am
DisplayPort is generally the superior interface, but it depends on which version you're using. If your monitor doesn't have a DisplayPort, I would get an HDMI 2.1 to be sure you have the latest in case your monitor can handle that. It will be backwards compatible.

If you get another monitor, it will very likely come with the cable the manufacturer recommends you use. Quite likely, DisplayPort.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/hdmi-vs-displayport-which-should-i-use-for-my-pc-monitor

Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 3:22pm
Cretae,

I have been reading up on DisplayPort myself. This Forum always has people giving good advice and providing links for further investigation.
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 3:59am
As long as I've been here, it's been the purpose. It has certainly helped me!    
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 3:12pm
I ordered new high grade cables this morning. This forum is great and prepares people so they are ready when their new super powered beasts arrive.
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Samuraiii View Drop Down

Quote Samuraiii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by brendonmccullum455

Hi,
The GPU I bought supports DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI. The monitor I have previously owned is 1080p, but only has HDMI, DVI, and VGA ports. I know there are adapters and other cables that support two different types of ports out there. Which cable should I get for my setup? When I buy a second monitor should I stick to one type of cable?
Thanks

So your only going to be able to get the frames and refresh rate you want using display port. I have to highly advise to never use hdmi with a decent rig. I would suggest upgrading to a better monitor to support the performance of your new card. Or else your card will be bottlenecked massively due to the capabilities of your monitor ✌️
Good Game Gentlemen… *Samuraiii* ^_^
 Post Reply Post Reply