FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Config for Workstation and Gaming Use

Post Date: 2015-12-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jhenry View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jhenry Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Best Config for Workstation and Gaming Use
    Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 5:49am
I am in the process of planning the purchase of a desktop system. Can someone please provide me with configuration assistance?

Budget:
$2000 - $3000

Expectations:
Will probably need a dual monitor system. Hoping to expand the system over time

Usage:
General office use and web surfing; 3D Modeling and rendering; Gaming: GTA, Call of Duty, Starcraft

Special Needs:
Need space for libraries of videos and images; Older ventilation system creates a slightly dusty environment

Both the Slade Pro and Bolt 3 Pro seem acceptable, but I am concerned about choosing the correct video card for my work and gaming needs.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 9:16pm
for the dual purpose of gaming and productivity i'd suggest an X99 based gaming system.  the research i've done on 3d modeling comparisons between Xenon 12 and 14-core procs and the I7-5820k 6-core show the Haswell-E 6-core doing remarkably well. 

when it comes to the choice between productivity graphics cards and gaming graphics cards, the gaming graphics cards will server you better in a dual role over the reverse.  if you were wanting advice for a work station only i'd steer you the other way. 

i'd suggest pairing an I7-5820K cpu with a Titan X and at least 32GB of system ram.  that's about half your budget right there.  put your most often played games and OS on the Samsung 250GB ssd and your work on the WD 1TB hard drive.  you're looking at ~$3200.  you can expand your storage later.   
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
jhenry View Drop Down

Quote jhenry Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 11:13pm
Thanks for the reply. Would there be a significant difference between a Titan X and a 980 graphics card?
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 12:02am
Originally posted by jhenry

Thanks for the reply. Would there be a significant difference between a Titan X and a 980 graphics card?
most 3d software is written to take advantage of CUDA cores, so the more the better (and the Titan X has more).  there's also the advantage of more vram (which is dedicated to whatever you're rendering out on the graphics card and won't have to share resources with other programs using system RAM).  it just comes down to freeing up resources to do other things at the same time and how fast you want those tasks done.

it also depends on the programs you're using.  the 12GB of vram on the Titan X puts almost any scene complexity in reach with Octane Render or TurbulenceFD.  you'd have to spend a lot more on pro cards to beat that performance.  in fact the Titan X is regarded as the cheapest high end "pro card".

ultimately, let your budget be your guide.  even a 970 or two in sli are recommended as "cheap and fast" alternatives. 

Edited by db188 - 28 Dec 2015 at 12:06am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply