FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best course of action?? ODE Lvl 4 or Custom Rig?

Post Date: 2012-07-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jterzella View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jterzella Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Best course of action?? ODE Lvl 4 or Custom Rig?
    Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 2:31pm
Hello everyone,

After perusing around the internet for a few months, I have chosen to go with Digital Storm. I am very impressed with DS and their products, the community, and some of the reviews I read about them. This will be my first big PC gaming rig purchase and am looking for a pleasant experience.

Im new to the forums here and would like to ask for some assistance in my decision making before such a large purchase. Cause to be honest, Im not sure what I should do.

This rig will be used for gaming 99% of the time. I may dabble in some video editing, but that wont be the primary use of it. I play a wide variety of games - everything from FPS to RTS to MMORPG. My main goal is to be able to play games for years to come, but Im not too picky about having each and every game run on Ultra settings. Im fine with taking the settings down a notch or two to play.

Id say my budget can be a bit flexible (~2500-3000), but needs to stay in check due to the international shipping costs to Canada (which will add a good 350 to my order). I currently use one monitor, but have the potential to go 3 displays as I use dual for my work at home. I run a 1920x1080 resolution on the single display.

To start off, the rig I am looking at (and leaning towards) out of the gate is the ODE Level 4. I know its pre-configured, but it seems like a kick ass machine at a very good price and has just about everything I am looking for. My questions I have with the ODE is the following:
- How is it for cooling?
- Does it run quiet?
- Should I get another case\cooling option to improve the cooling or noise? (I really do like the white case. Looks sexy)

Noise is a BIG deal for me in this purchase. Well, its more of a courtesy for my wife. She hates how loud the GPUs are when Im gaming. So I need something relatively quiet.

So my question is, does the ODE Level 4 suffice for what I need it for?? Does it run quiet enough for me to get it?? Or should I look at doing more of a custom config? If custom, any suggestions?

Thank you all for reading and I appreciate any help you guys offer. Thanks.

Happy 4th of July!!!
- JT

ps- I apologize for such a long post.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 3:15am
Hi jterzella .....Welcome to the forums.

For your budget you really can't do better than the ODE lvl 4.  It is a best bang for the buck system with SSD, 1TB HDD, blu-ray player and sli, 2x gtx670.  The ODE's 600T case's 2x 200mm fans  is very good with cooling and relatively quiet.  It is noisier than a small off the shelp pc with a single fan in the back, but pretty quiet.

Here's a custom config for you to look at that has the HafX case, the best in air cooling with a 230mm fan, 2x 200mm fans that also is quiet because the larger fans turn slower and move lots of air. 

Config #705178        Cost $ 2809

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) (Requires Z77 Motherboard)
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Features Thermal Armor and Thermal Radar)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F120GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

This custom config is $300 more than the ODE lvl4 for the same gaming performance, but being a custom build it does allow you to go to the better case, drop the SSD and blu ray if you don't want them and change the cpu cooler to the Noctua D14 for tops in reliability. 

ODE is cheaper because it is a pre-build system but the custom config allows you to pick from a much larger selection of parts to fit budget and needs.

The sli, 2x gtx670 will max out gaming on a single 23" 1920x1080 monitor and allow high settings on a dual monitor for some games that are the most demanding.

Hope this helps and good luck.Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 05 Jul 2012 at 3:17am
jterzella View Drop Down

Quote jterzella Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 9:31am
Thank you so much for taking time in answering my post as well as giving your insight bprat22. It is greatly appreciated.

If I go with the custom config, would I have to worry about cooling my video cards at all? Would I need to look at a LC option, or is air cooling fine with the HafX case?

Is the Noctua you recommended better than what DS has in their pre-built ODE?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 9:54am
Your video cards will have no problem staying cool. The HafX case has a side panel 200mm fan that blows fresh air onto the cards along with a top 200mm and front 230mm fan.  The liquid cool option for video cards is more a luxury then a neccessity for gaming. 

The Noctua d14 air cooler isn't any better than the Vortec 240mm rad in cooling but it is more reliable.  The Vortex does have a pretty decent track record and chances are you wouldn't have any issues but the D14 is a big block of metal cooling fins that leave little to go wrong.   Some want the small, lighter Vortex cooling but I always go for reliability when possible.  Both do work fine.  The Vortex 240mm is very similar to the Corsair H100 sealed cooling unit , minus the fan speed control button, if you want to google it and check it out.

The reason we always recommend the HafX first is because it pumps alot of air over the components. 

Edited by bprat22 - 05 Jul 2012 at 9:58am
jterzella View Drop Down

Quote jterzella Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 2:22pm
Thank you once again for your help and explanation, bprat22. You have been a great help. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 2:34pm
My pleasure.
criTalon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote criTalon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 6:22pm
Just to quickly add, the Noctua is one of the quietest coolers out there.
 Post Reply Post Reply