FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best for $2500

Post Date: 2011-01-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pkssauce View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pkssauce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Best for $2500
    Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 7:19pm
Hello,

I would like the community first for being so open and willing to assist people like myself who took a few years off from paying attention to computer parts, and is totally lost... :)

What I am looking for is a pc that can run games like StarCraft 2, Civ 5 and BioShock 2 on close to high quality.  It doesn't need to be 100% top of the line parts, but I would like the ability to upgrade parts in the future, so maybe a higher end motherboard?

I would also like the $2500 to include a monitor, as I currently use my old HDTV at 1024x 768 60hz... I plan on upgrading my tv soon as well, but I think I would like to separate the tv from the pc finally.  A 3D monitor does interest me a bit, but it's not a deal breaker. I would like 22in+

For HDD I was thinking a small 40gb for OS only and a second 1tb for everything else. More space is always nice, but as I said before, I can always upgrade. Raid 1 interests me a bit for thr 1tb space too, is that something that I can do at a later date, or is it best to get the raid 1 setup in the beginning? I've lost a lot of data due to broken HDDs in the past.

Thank you all in advance, your support is what brought me to buy a pc from DS. If you can believe it, I almost bought a ibuypower pc.. yuck.

edit: I put this together, but don't know about future expandability... 476361

Edited by pkssauce - 06 Jan 2011 at 7:34pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 7:48pm
Here you go Ticket# 476362 --- $2229 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58 (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

you can do the above and be left with about $300 for the monitor, or instead of the 80GB you can go with 40GB ssd, price: $2102 now you are left with $400 for monitor. I think 40GB is too small, the setup is suppose to be like this:

HDD1 = fast small drive: os/apps/games

HDD2 = regular large drive: media/personal/work file storage

I think you gonna need more then 40GB to put the games on there too, its important to balance out the performance, so you gonna want your apps/os/games on the ssd. But if all you want is 40GB then go for it.

now either way, get yourself a 24" ips panel like the Dell UltraSharp U2410 or HP ZR24w, many people have gotten these and love them, the dell supports more color if I remember correctly, other then that they are both great, and they run between 300 to 500.

this pc can run that res for you and if you see you need more power in gpu, then add just add another, the power and etc is already there for it.

you can always just go with a 1TB HDD now and then upgrade to ssd later.

Just saw your ticket, not good, this is much better, the corsair psu has a 5 year warranty, and you don't want the asetek cooler.

Edited by DST4ME - 06 Jan 2011 at 7:49pm
pkssauce View Drop Down

Quote pkssauce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 10:39pm
Thank you very much for your support and reply. I'm taking your word on everything. :)

pkssauce View Drop Down

Quote pkssauce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:20pm
Is it worth uping the motherboard to the sli for future video card upgrades?
Jayhawk View Drop Down

Quote Jayhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 12:06am
not sure I understand the question but DST has you set up with the 1000w Corsair should you decide to add another 570 down the road and the Sabertooth motherboard is SLI ready.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 12:40am
My pleasure

Let me tell you that you should never take anybody's word for anything, always do a lot of research, tho I am honored that you would take my word, it does mean a lot.

the mobo has 2 x 16x pci lanes already, that with 2 cards installed.

if you want a mobo that can do 3 x 16x then we have to look at the 4x classified, which is really not necessary, with the mentioned monitors, if you have the need another 570 can cover whatever you got, but I would first play and see if I even need the second card to begin with.

as Jayhawk mentioned the system has the 1000w corsair psu, and the sabertooth, all you need to run 2 cards in 16x, 8 x makes very little difference just fyi.

if you have anymore questions then ask.
pkssauce View Drop Down

Quote pkssauce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 7:42am
Thanks, I will do more research. :) I didn't realize that the sabertooth was SLI ready. I'm very excited to finally get a "big boy" computer!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 3:30pm
Just about all mobos are sli ready, all dont' run 16x on both lanes tho, some run 16x and 8x which is just fine still.

My pleasure and good luck
pkssauce View Drop Down

Quote pkssauce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 7:35pm
As my house is fairly dusty, with three pets, and the computer will be in the main room, should there be any extra fans installed?

This is a really dumb question... does the wireless card accept both wired and wireless at the same time? I ask because I cannot get real internet on my street, so I have a hacked cell phone that transmits a wifi signal. My computer picks up the wifi signal, then i have a router plugged into my Ethernet port and i bridge the connections.

Just want to make sure I cam continue this with the new computer. P.s. I'm going to buy on Friday!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 7:48pm
your mobo has lan ports already, the wireless will add that ability, so you have a lan port on mobo already, I'm not sure if the wireless has a lan port also or not.

edit all that other stuff, forum does not support any extra curricular activities
pkssauce View Drop Down

Quote pkssauce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 11:36pm
what about the dust issue?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 12:20am
extra fans don't help with dust, if anything they could make it worst.

just use filter and clean the pc once a week, it should take just a few minutes if you do it once a week.
pkssauce View Drop Down

Quote pkssauce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 7:40pm
So I received my new PC and I love it!

I have 2 questions regarding it if you guys don't mind...

1: so I got the 80gb ssd and it's almost full. I still have the 1tb hdd, but if I wanted to go raid with the ssd, can I still? I want to double my size. Will I have to reinstall everything to make the change?

2: the monitor either can't keep up with some games, or its the video card. I can't explain it really. Some games are just great, borderlands, civ 5, bioshock 2... But when the cinematic plays on a couple of games it's like I can watch 2 ir 3 horizontal lines jag across the screen. I ran furmark as directed in the support video and I got an average fps of 62 and temp of 65. This was for 30 min. It leads me think it's my monitor. I want to get another video card and run 3 screens, will this just make it worse?

Thanks for the help!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 11:46pm
Its full already? lol, you got all the personal/media/work files on the 1TB HDD? if yes then you have 2 options.

go raid (2 x 80GB), you will have faster speeds, but you will need to reinstall everything.

or

you can add the second 80GB ssd as HDD3, and continue to install apps and games on this ssd and still enjoy ssd speeds. Here you don't reinstall anything.

or

you can get a 160GB intel ssd and use that for os ssd and use the current 80GB as HDD3, this one seems wasteful but it is an option, you don't reinstall anything here, you just clone the current ssd to the new ssd.

2. Not sure, but if its doing this now, then I would find the problem and then move forward with multi monitor.
pkssauce View Drop Down

Quote pkssauce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 10:59pm
yeah, the sdd is full of about 6 games and the os.

I think I'll get the 160 and clone. I'll look into it further in a few months.

How do I find the problem first (monitor)? I want to have 3 monitors eventually, so buying a second 570 card wouldn't be bad, would it?

Also, assume my computer knowledge is a 4 of 10, but ability to learn is a 9 of 10, how had hard is installing the sli video card and setting up the clone hd, then installing the hds to be what I want (new 160 ssd default and old 80 ssd 3rd hd)?

Thanks!!
Qwann View Drop Down

Quote Qwann Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 11:11pm
Question 1. If you have another monitor lying around try watching the same cinematic that is giving you trouble with this one and see if the same problems occur. If it doesn't you know it's a faulty monitor.
2. Putting in a second 570 is straightforward. Put in the second card, put on the SLI bridge, and connect the appropriate power cables from your PSU. Done.
3. DST has a cloning guide lying around somewhere that I'm sure he'd be happy to link for you, and all you have to do is rearrange your boot order in your BIOS to make sure your PC boots off the new SSD.
~~ Keep in mind if you get a new 160GB SSD there's no real reason to clone your old one to it, you could just use it as a third hard drive for additional SSD space, and just keep booting off of the 80GB. Unless I'm missing something it seems pointless to switch that around. ~~

Edited by Qwann - 25 Jan 2011 at 11:11pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 11:27pm
Qwann has a point, you can just add the 160GB as HDD3 or whatever and just install the rest of the apps and games on it.

pros: you don't have to clone or anything.

cons: if the first drive goes bad, then whatever apps and games that are on the 160GB will not work if they user registry keys.

of course if backup/clone drives then you are ok, cause all you have to do is get teh new drive, clone to the new drive and get back to what you were doing.

If you clone to the 160GB, then everything will be on one drive, and you will lose info only if that drive goes bad. of course if backup/clone drives then you are ok, cause all you have to do is get the new drive, clone to the new drive and get back to what you were doing.

now lets say you wanted to clone to the 160GB. you follow my clone guide, after clone is done, you turn off pc and put the 160GB in place of the 80GB, keep the 80GB disconnected and out, boot off of the 160GB and make sure you can boot into windows and everything is fine, once you are sure everything is fine, you add the 80GB, format and partition windows will see it and show it to you as HDD3. MY system has 10 HDDS you can see them here. this way you don't have to change boot menu in the bios.

you can follow my clone guide here

installing ssd is very easy, just screw it in the bay, depending on your case you might need a converter to fit the 2.5" ssd. then connect power cable and sata cable and plug the pc back in the wall, and done.

installing gpu is also very easy, just install the card in teh pci lane, connect power cables, connect sli bridge and plug the pc back in the wall, and you are done.

once you do them, you will see its extremely easy.

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Jan 2011 at 11:28pm
Smarmy View Drop Down

Quote Smarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 7:32am
I will be there is a lot of space taken up with the browser download area and the user profile. You may be able to recover a lot of space by changing those.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 8:38am
Its a bad idea to move user profile, download folders are fine to move but not user profile.
 Post Reply Post Reply