FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best gaming config for ~$2.5k - $2.8k

Post Date: 2013-04-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
chisoxcollector View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote chisoxcollector Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Best gaming config for ~$2.5k - $2.8k
    Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 5:55am
Hi guys,

I'm looking to spend around $2500 - $2800 on a nice gaming PC.  I want it to handle the latest games with max settings on a single 24 inch monitor.  I also want it to speedily handle Photoshop and video transcoding.  I definitely need 2 front USB 3.0 ports, and it would be great if there is a front eSATA port as well.  I'd also like it not to sound like a jet engine when I'm transcoding, as my current Alienware (ugh) does.

What would be the best DS system for my needs?  I've been looking at the following Dreadnought config:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (256GB Solid State (By: Samsung) (Model: 840 Pro Series)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Video Card: 1x AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Is there anything I should change, or perhaps a different model that would suit my needs better?  I'll admit I'm not crazy about the aesthetic appearance of the Dreadnought.  Is there another case I could choose that has front USB 3.0 and eSATA?

Thanks!

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 6:36am
Hi chisoxcollector...  Welcome to the forums.

That's a real nice buld, the 6 core 3930k chip and quad channel memory mobo being very helpful with your apps.

Another case with front 2x usb 3.0 and e-SATA is the CoolerMaster Storm Trooper.  A nice case, very good cooling and might be worth a look.

For that cpu and stage 2 overclock, DS will want you to skip the Noctua D14 and go with a sealed unit, like the Vortex 240 or Corsair H100i .    I like the air coolers better, and would drop the oc to stage 1 if you can and keep the Noctua.

I also like Nvidia cards better for  their driver support, like the gtx 670 or 680.  But a bit more money.   For max settings, not all games will run smooth with a single card.  Some of the heavier shooters might need to be tweeked a bit for that. 

Here's a link that compares the 7970 and 680 and what to expect with various games/resolutions.  The gtx 670 would be about 5-10% less fps  than the 680, but alot cheaper.  This link allows you to swap cards and compare.

Looks good and good luck. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 25 Apr 2013 at 6:39am

Quote chisoxcollector Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 6:52am
Thanks for the reply and welcome bprat22.

I'm a liquid cooling novice, and frankly the idea of it freaks me out, lol.  I used DS's chat feature, and Brian said that the Noctua would be okay for a stage 2 overclock.  I don't think he knew what CPU I was using, so maybe that would have made a difference.

That Storm Trooper might be a little bit better than the default Dreadnought case.  I wish the Cooler Master Cosmos II wasn't so much pricier, as I like the looks of that a lot more.  I like my cases simple looking.

I went with the AMD card for 3 reasons.  The free games, the price/performance ratio, and that is what Maximum PC was recommending, lol.  Do you think I'd get enough bang for my buck to be worth the added cost of a GTX680?

So it looks like the Dreadnought is the right machine for me?

Thanks!

Edited by chisoxcollector - 25 Apr 2013 at 9:07am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 7:03am
Brian on the chat feature knows his stuff.  Either he didn't realize you were using the 3930k chip or DS changed their mind.  In the past they have done it, and then not.  A quick email to DS for the answer might be worth it.  Or double check with Brian.

The 680 isn't going to give you much if anything over the 7970 for most situations.  I just like their driver support better, but the 7970 is a sweet card.  Bang per buck you can't beat it. 

I always recommend the HafX with Noctua D14 cooler when possible for air cooled systems.  The case is the best with its front 230mm fan and top and side 200mm fans.  The fans move slow, 700rpm or so, and are quiet but move lots of air.  But, the Storm Trooper will work just fine.

The sealed units aren't true water cooling, meaning they're all sealed, no seperate reservoir, pump, etc and require zero maintenance.  They do have a excelllant reputation, but the Noctua leaves little to go wrong and is quiet.   

Big decisions. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 25 Apr 2013 at 7:04am
Solidus1833 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Solidus1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 8:54am
keep in mind... if you go noctua you will need ram without its tall heat sinks. I love my noctua and have low profile ram and it is AWESOME!

Quote chisoxcollector Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 9:06am
So on the Dreadnought I can't get Corsair Dominator ram and the Noctua at the same time?  I was considering upgrading to Corsair.

Am I likely to see any difference in performance between Corsair and "Digital Storm Certified Performance Series" ram?  Again, I'll be using the PC for gaming, Photoshop, and video transcoding.

Thanks!

Edited by chisoxcollector - 25 Apr 2013 at 9:07am
Solidus1833 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Solidus1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 9:41am
The certified ram is what using. It's great. They gave me ADATA ram low profile ram. However you can get the others but they will have to remove the heatspreaders from them, so no biggy. I just went with the certified cus it was already low profile and since I couldn't use the heatspreaders anyway I saved some money doing it.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 10:01am
I have the storm trooper and i love it
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12