Best Keyboard and Mouse?

Post Date: 2008-02-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Best Keyboard and Mouse?
    Posted: 11 Feb 2008 at 12:34pm
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my keyboard and mouse from the standard microsoft set that came with my DS machine.  I am basically looking for some suggestions.  I've heard some good and bad things about the G15 models and Razer products.  Can anyone offer some other good brands/models to look into or comment on those two?  Thanks!
Mythius101 View Drop Down

Quote Mythius101 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2008 at 1:19pm
I have a Razer DeathAdder mouse, and the Lycosa keyboard.

So far the mouse has been great... I like it as much as or more than my previous Logitech laser gaming mouse.  It's super sensitive, rubberized, and fits just right.  Lots of software configuration options for it too, if you're into that stuff.  I'm using mine on one of Razer's super fancy eXactMat mousing surfaces too.  I never gave much thought to mousepads before I bought this thing, but now I'll never use anything else.

I'm split on my Lycosa keyboard.  The rubberized keys are very nice, and I like the USB port provided on the back.  There are also audio/mic jacks on the back, but I use 5.1 speakers, so not much use for those.  The touchpanel media controls are more of a novelty than of any use. 

As far as the backlighting goes, I wish it was a little brighter.  Also, if the backlighting isn't turned on, it's impossible to see the key labeling at all.  I think it's pretty neat to have a completely black keyboard with no visible labeling, but if you ever look at your hands to type it could be frustrating.

One other complaint I have with it is that when I hold a key down past the "clicking point", if I don't apply decent pressure, sometimes the key will lose contact as if I've depressed it.   Then as soon as I apply a little bit more pressure, it will register as a new keystroke, even if I never actually let the key come back up all the way. 

The keys are laptop-style, which I tend to get along with very well and I feel like I can type a lot faster.

The Lycosa also has a nice polished mirror finish on the black plastic around the keys.  This is another point on which I'm split... it looks fantastic when it's clean, but with any use it smears up and I find myself wiping it off a lot.

I have seen a G15 in use, but never actually tried one.  The LCD panel seems like it would be completely useless to me, but some people like it a lot.

I would say that Logitech is a safe bet for mice/keyboards no matter what.  Razer products I've found to be highly personal preference.

Edited by Mythius101 - 11 Feb 2008 at 1:22pm
Vista Home Premium 32
Core 2 Quad Q6600
nVidia 680iA1
2GB Corsair Dominator RAM
2x SLI Dual GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
Creative Labs X-Fi Fatal1ty XtremeGamer
Rai@work View Drop Down
  Quote Rai@work Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2008 at 6:32pm
I'm using the new Razer Diamondback 3G, and I have fallen in love with the thing. Its got 2 buttons for the thumb (Customized to 'Use' and 'Talk') and two more for your pinky. If you are dextrous enough. (Customized to 'Reload'. Second one blank (Can't reach LOL))

I found it so sensitive even at the lightest touch it would fly across the screen. They really are right when they say it takes some getting used to but thankfully over time I find it has dramatically increased my accuracy.

Then again, I am upgrading from an /ancient/ ten year old logitech thumb-ball mouse. So used the logitech symbol completely faded away. that beauty would still be my choice of use if the right-click hadn't stopped working. We had a special bond... Cry

As for a keyboard, I use the stock keyboard that comes built in with my soon-to-be replaced laptop. (DS system, Stage 1!)
Venture View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Venture Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2008 at 6:34pm
I have the Logitech G15 keyboard (the original, wider one), and really like it.  I program the macro keys for NWN2.  I don't use the LCD panel, aside from the clock in games, but I could see somebody really making use of it.  I think there may be a way to use it along with some freeware to monitor system temperatures.

I have the G5 mouse.  My one gripe with it is that I have a hard time getting a precise click with the mouse wheel.  When I press it, it often rotates instead.  I haven't had that problem with other mice.  Other than that, I like it.  I do like how configurable it is.  I downloaded a modded version of Logitech's software, which enabled me to map all the buttons and wheel.

Edited by Venture - 11 Feb 2008 at 6:34pm
780i MB
E6850 3.00GHz
8800GT 512MB
6GB Corsair 800MHz Dominator
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Jeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2008 at 10:57pm
I have the Saitek Eclipse keyboard, and Razer Deathadder mouse.

The keyboard is nothing exciting, but is solid and well made.

As for the mouse, the Deathadder is a great mouse, when everything works properly, but does have its issues. Mine has a problem with the scroll wheel, its very jerky and sporatic, which is frustrating in FPS when scrolling for weapons.

Definitely spend the most $$ on the mouse, its more critical than the keyboard.
syn View Drop Down

Quote syn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2008 at 7:03am
Wasting a lot of money on an expensive razor or g5 mouse is as laughable as buying a physx card. Price doesn't translate into quality (those razor and g5 peripherals break just as often as the $5 oem mice), and it doesn't make you any better at games either (If you suck with a 10 dollar mouse, you're going to suck with a 100 dollar mouse).

My mouse:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105026

My keyboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126023

Both are EXTREMELY solid, comfortable products, and are dirt cheap.

For those of you who prefer mice with several buttons, there is a very high-quality low-cost option as well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105122

Moral of the story:

Dropping more than $25 on a mouse or keyboard is absolutely foolish. Spend that money upgrading hardware that actually matters, and is going to have some effect on your gaming experience.
Rai View Drop Down

Quote Rai Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2008 at 8:12am
Originally posted by syn

Wasting a lot of money on an expensive razor or g5 mouse is as laughable as buying a physx card. Price doesn't translate into quality (those razor and g5 peripherals break just as often as the $5 oem mice), and it doesn't make you any better at games either (If you suck with a 10 dollar mouse, you're going to suck with a 100 dollar mouse).

My mouse:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105026

My keyboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126023

Both are EXTREMELY solid, comfortable products, and are dirt cheap.

For those of you who prefer mice with several buttons, there is a very high-quality low-cost option as well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105122

Moral of the story:

Dropping more than $25 on a mouse or keyboard is absolutely foolish. Spend that money upgrading hardware that actually matters, and is going to have some effect on your gaming experience.

Everyones got their own opinions, but I can sure tell you this. It depends on /what/ 5 dollar mouse you are using. I work at a electronics store that sells extremely cheap mice (Source by Circuit City) and our 20$ and under mice are junk. Hell, if you are buying anything from there that isn't microsoft brandname, be warned.

That on the market, I strongly disagree with a mouse not being something worth spending money on. If you honestly think someone can game just as well with a trackball mouse as they can with a top of the line Razer mouse, thats your opinion and I'll respect it... but I know of a lot of gamers that would disagree. LOL

As for a keyboard, I can agree on that. I've never spent any money on actually getting a keyboard so I wouldn't know. But when I spent 50$ (Employee discount rocks) on my Razer mouse, my first person shooter scores got scrapped for a week. Then they bounced back higher then they've ever been once I got over the learning curve. I'm sure if I ever upgraded keyboards it would be a similar situation.

Edit - And if you are good with a 10$ mouse, you'll be great with a 100$ one.

Edited by Rai - 12 Feb 2008 at 8:14am
Venture View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Venture Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2008 at 9:40am
Yea, while everyone is entitled to an opinion on this, I'm sure many will disagree, especially hard core gamers who notice things more (and their opinion might be that relying on a mouse with low or non-ajdustable DPI is foolish).  For me, it was more a situation of trying out a bunch to see what was comfortable, and also liking the ability to configure every button on the mouse to do just about anything except make me breakfast in the morning.  Being able to adjust the sensitivity on the fly (DPI + and - button are right on the G5 mouse) as I switch from gaming to web surfing is nice too.  As goofy as it sounds, the ability to switch in and out the weights in the base of the G5 is actually quite nice, as I was able to get a feel that was just right for me.
780i MB
E6850 3.00GHz
8800GT 512MB
6GB Corsair 800MHz Dominator
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2008 at 3:17pm
Doesn't matter how much you spend on hardware. It won't make u a better player. If you are sh*t with a $700 computer, you will still be sh*t with a $5000 computer.

Good mouse = laser, usb, mouse4 and mouse5 button
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Solo View Drop Down

Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2008 at 4:52pm
yeah its all in your head if you think you're better with a more expensive mouse
Rai View Drop Down

Quote Rai Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2008 at 5:28pm
All in the head?

LIES!

I keep seeing this reverting to 'The worst stays the worst, even with with a better mouse'.

Well yes, that may very well be true. But a player that is already good with a sh*te mouse definitely can improve with a better one! I know this because I know I certainly did!

Then again, as I said, I upgraded from a really old thumball trackmouse to a new Razer mouse. Maybe if I'd gone with a 10$ craptacular one from my work I'd see the same improvement.
Dashuu View Drop Down

Quote Dashuu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2008 at 5:46pm
I've found that most people step up their game with more DPI. If you think about it logistically, it makes sense. With more DPI you technically have a wider range of motion. Since you only have to move the mouse so far to turn completely around for instance. It increases accuracy in FPSs, provides a quicker pointer for RTSs, and allows for quicker access to skills in MMOs. Ignoring the quick keys in MMOs that is. I'm not saying it will make you Mr. Frag or anything, but it will increase your natural ability to move the mouse faster. 
Vince View Drop Down

Digital Storm Engineering

Quote Vince Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2008 at 3:14pm
I use the original version G15 keyboard and a logitech mx1000 laser mouse.  I love this G15, and I am planning on modding it very soon.  I've used it so much, in fact, that the paint on the keys is wearing off;  Some of the keys are actually clear now, heh.  But don't get me wrong, I've had this keyboard for about two years now, and it holds up very well even after all the abuse I've put it through (It's been punched several times).  I plan to change out the LEDs to red, and repaint the keys when I mod it. 

The 18 'G' keys are a godsend, and I customize them all the time for whatever game I'm playing at the moment.  I have some login passwords set on some of the keys.  It's awesome -- press a single key and it types in my username and password.  It's so awesome that games like World of Warcraft have banned the advanced use of the macro engine for the G15 keyboard cause it gives a huge advantage over players without it. 

At first the LCD on the keyboard looked pointless, but I did some searching and found a few useful programs for it.  I use an app called SirReal's LCD; and it allows me to display all the stats I need on the LCD.  I can see my CPU and system temps, CPU and RAM usage, net I/O, the time, date, and volume all on the tiny 1"x3.5" screen. 

The mouse is a little older as well, but it's got everything I need.  9 customizable buttons; and I haven't found a game where I needed to use all 9.

If you're looking for a mouse to increase performance in frag-fest type games, I feel any laser mouse will do.  This leaves the decision to comfort over functionality; and really, you want a nice comfortable mouse if you're gonna be using it all day.  Another thing that may be overlooked is mousing surface.  You'd be surprised how a good, slick mousing surface can help you take better control.  Alot of people have sworn by the Ratpadz brand of mouse pads, and I think it's worth trying. 

I haven't tried any of the Razer products, but it's because the products I already own are more than enough for me.  I'm not a big fan of laptop-like keyboards.  Yeah they're quieter, but way too sensitive IMO.

Post Reply Post Reply