FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black OPS Aventum - Questions

Post Date: 2012-07-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Zilzalati View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zilzalati Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Black OPS Aventum - Questions
    Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 1:42pm

Greetings Everybody,

I've been searching for the right PC for quite some time but fail to do so due to the lack of boutique PC builders from where I come from. Water-cooling customization is exceptionally rare here in my country and the only way to do it is to learn everything on my own which is not an option. I may consider myself to be an enthusiast but in no way a hardware-based computer expert. This is the reason why I began searching elsewhere. This is also my first time buying a PC from the US so please correct me if I'm in any way wrong.

1. Budget: Below $12000

2. Expectations:

I know exactly what I want for the specs as well as their intended purposes but if there's anything I should be expecting is to have a great experience purchasing a good desktop from DS.

3. Usage:

Desktop publishing, 3D authoring & rendering, media production, VMware and of course next-generation gaming.

4. Special Needs:

There may be a few things I need but will have them clarified with DS once I'm ready to purchase.

5. Resolution: BenQ XL2420T (1920x1080)

6. Ticket Number: 708354

7. Location: International (+60 Malaysia)

--------------------------
8. Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Aventum
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 64GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 2x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - Not Available
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E 802.11n Up to 300Mbps (Supports 802.11n/g/b) (Model: ASUS PCE-N15)
Video Card: 2x SLI Quad SLI (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Aventum Liquid Cooling System: CPU + Video Cards + Chipset
H20 Tube Color: Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Digital Storm Aventum Automatic Response to Excess-Heat System (ARES)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm Aventum RGB LED Lighting System
Enhancements: Digital Storm Aventum Integrated Side Panel Display Module
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks

Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks

Exclusive T-Shirt: Exclusive Premium Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Medium)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty
--------------------------

Hardware Discussion: The questions below are the only issues I currently have.

1. Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 2x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Will I get a single or two separate partitions with this config? Should I stay with two 240GB SSD or get myself a single 480GB SSD instead?

2. Sound Card:
Integrated Motherboard Audio

I notice that the soundcard ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 (PCI-Express Slot Based) is no longer available. Can I still get my hands on it?

I don't know if I should be feeling awkward for not contacting DS first but I really would like to hear some thoughts from the community. Maybe some feedback from the Aventum owners themselves? I could give myself 48 - 72 hours before making my final decision. In any event, please excuse my English if they sounded strange as I am not a native speaker and thank you all so much for your time.

Awaiting your response,

- Zeeqee
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 2:40pm
Hi Zilzalati,

Welcome to the forum. You are smart to discuss your build before talking to DS. Here you have members who own DS computers and you will get a lot of different opinions from knowledgeable people.

A couple of questions before we talk about your system. Are you going to be working or playing in 3D? It seems right off that you are way over building for a 1920 monitor. Are you interested in saving money if it doesn't effect performance? I ask this because some just want the best of the best no matter what it cost of if they really need it.

I am a little confused by your drive choices. You will be working with big files but you don't have a large HDD for storage. The normal configuration is to get a SSD for the operating system, games and programs that you use a lot. Then HDDs for storage.

You don't have anything to play BluRay. Is that a problem?

In regards to a sound card. If you don't have a speaker system to take advantage of the card then the on board is fine for work or gaming. If you listen to a lot of music you might want a sound card. Some cards dissapear when DS doesn't have them available. Other times they are too exspense and DS doesn't sell them so they don't restock. In any event DS will order anything you want if they don't have something in stock.

In most cases the 3960X is overkill. It doesn't help in gaming but if you are really heavy into the work areas you listed, it might be a good choice. You can get the 3930 for $500 less and you probably won't be able to tell the difference in performance. Don't get the 3960X unless you just want to squeeze out the last bit of performance.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 15 Jul 2012 at 2:41pm
Zilzalati View Drop Down

Quote Zilzalati Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 12:41am
Hi Frank, thank you so much for your timely response. I'm very sorry for not being able to reply sooner due to the time difference here where I'm living Sad.

I agree that my build is in indeed an overkill for my needs but I will try to explain as best as I can. Honestly, I will be using this PC mainly for desktop publishing (developing websites in various formats) and gaming after hard days work. Everything else are just related hobbies but they still demand resources nonetheless.

I understand it must've been a huge loss just to be using the selected Video Cards for a single Monitor. In truth, I am considering a multi-Monitor setup but ensuring the desktop arrives in one piece is my top priority right now.

As for the Storage Drive I do have the WD Sentinel DX4000 with gigabit connectivity which would be more than enough space to store up huge files. There is a reason why I'd go pure SSD for the desktop and a NAS for my primary storage drive. I find it a whole lot more convenient to use the NAS to transfer large files especially when other PCs need access to it.

I won't be using the desktop to play my BluRay movies as I have a separate home theater system to do that so I've no problem getting a normal Optical Drive.

As for the 3960X, I understand that getting it could lead to unnecessary waste of money as you and my colleagues referred to it. They say it poses little to no difference in performance compared to the 3930K and if your thoughts are spot on who am I to argue right? However I will be transferring huge files between the SSD and the NAS, mounting RAMDISK images and transferring files in batches and last but not least rendering videos while gaming.

I hope that explains why I'm so eager to go with this build. just to be on the safe side I still have less than 60 hours left before finalizing my order so any suggestion is absolutely welcomed!

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 5:34am
Hi Zilzalati,

Thanks for your comments. That answers a lot of question that I had. Some other thoughts.

1. The 120Gb SSD is too small for an operating drive. Besides the operating system you will want the games you play often and your photo, media and publishing programs on the first drive. A 180 SSD would be a minimum. I see you have two 240Gb SSd also. Did you plan on RAIDing them? If so you forgot to request the RAID option. Or, if you were going to use them for programs without RAID then the 120Gb SSD makes more sense.

2. The SLI 690s give you a bunch of GPU power but the drives are $1000 each. I am sure you know that these cards have two 2Gb 680s and are not true 4Gb cards. Have you considered getting three 4Gb 680s. Three 680s would be cheaper than two 690s and if one 680 fails it will only cost $500 to change. If you ever felt you needed more GPU power you could add the forth 4Gb 680.

You have a solid system just like you have it and my comments are just food for thought. Make sure you order the wooden crate for shipping. Also you should know that DS does not work on the weekends so if you need support it is not available. You can get help on this forum and Alex stops by on the weekend quite often. They also don't have support 24 hours on the days they provide support. So you will have to make some effort to contact DS during their business hours. They will work with you and do all then can to accommodate your available hours.

I suggest you extend your warranty. The three year warranty only provides one year equipment replacement. The five year warranty provides three years of equipment replacement.

You should consider having DS add quick-disconnect connectors to the LC tubes. It makes it a lot easier to replace a component. Maybe even drain connectors at the bottom of the system. Just things that are nice to have.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 16 Jul 2012 at 5:52am
Zilzalati View Drop Down

Quote Zilzalati Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 10:59am
Hey Frank, I just can't thank you enough for all the details you've brought up. it really has open up a new perspective towards my initial spec. Clearly I wasn't taking my entire build serious enough which in turn leaves me with more questions.

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Aventum
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 64GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (480GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - Not Available
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E 802.11n Up to 300Mbps (Supports 802.11n/g/b) (Model: ASUS PCE-N15)
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Aventum Liquid Cooling System: CPU + Video Cards + Chipset
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Digital Storm Aventum Automatic Response to Excess-Heat System (ARES)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm Aventum RGB LED Lighting System
Enhancements: Digital Storm Aventum Integrated Side Panel Display Module
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty

1. I've decided to change my SSD simply because it doesn't make much sense to stuff everything into separate drives and partitions and yet have them configured in RAID. I always have my NAS to access all the necessary files so I think I'm good this time.

2. I will appreciate as much GPU power as possible and thanks to you Frank it seems that 4-way SLI 680 is a better choice than Quad SLI 690. The only reason I didn't consider it in the beginning is because there is no fourth 4Gb 680 in the option I could choose.

3. I've also extended the warranty like you suggested. I just hope I will be able to take advantage of the +1 year warranty during the sale just to hit 5 year warranty mark.

4. Perhaps my most important question is regarding the LCS. I'm practically new to this system therefore any word of advice is imperative to me. If you don't mind, could you please list down all the connectors/components that should come along with the LCS. As long as they're in my budget I'll have no problem getting them all.

I'm not sure if it's relevant but it would be really helpful to know the brand of waterblocks of the video cards if I go for 4x4Gb 680. Is it Koolance, XSPC, EVGA, ekwb? I hope Alex could shed some light in me about this.

- Zeeqee

Edited by Zilzalati - 16 Jul 2012 at 11:02am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 12:48pm
Zilzalati,

In regards to the LC system. First let me say that the Aventum is a very new case and DS will be your best source on how to do the LC system.

If it was my system I would ask for XSPC rx series rads. The best fans use to be Scythe Gentle Typhoon but DS doesn't stock them any more. You can still get them but DS will have to order them.

I don't know what disconnects they use but if you ask for them with your order they will provide what you need. It is important that with a build of this caliber that you talk to DS about your build. I have never seen an Aventum case so don't have any gems to pass on. We do have some members with the Aventum and if you check the review section you will find some good pictures. These members would be a good source of information.

Here is a picture of a LC system with disconnects in place.

Here is a picture of drains at the bottom of a Hailstorm case. I don't know if they are available with the Aventum.
Zilzalati View Drop Down

Quote Zilzalati Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 10:58pm
Once again, Thank you so much for your trouble Frank. I appreciate that you even provided me with clear pictures of the system. Now I know where to start. In any case, I'll talk to DS first thing in the morning. I think its time I finalize my build.

One more question about payment though, do I Email them my configuration plus the adds (4th video card,etc) and pay or Buy first than tell them about the adds?

I'll keep you posted especially if there's any sudden changes.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 6:09am
Hi Zilzalati,

You need to have your order with any add ons before you pay. Discuss the build with DS and then have them Email you the build or a Configurator Number. Don't pay until everything has been worked out and you have the final configuration in hand. That is the only way to know your final price. Once you pay you can still make changes up until they reach a certain point in the build.

I suggest you let us see your final build if they change anything. Don't forget to order your free T-Shirt.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 17 Jul 2012 at 6:13am
Zilzalati View Drop Down

Quote Zilzalati Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 2:44pm
Hi Frank, Thanks for the tip. I've sent an email to DS about my recent build along with the add ons as well. I won't forget about the T-Shirt though but all I can do now is to wait for their response.

I'm not rushing things up its just I'm quite enthusiastic towards finalizing my build. I'll get back to you as soon as everything's in place.
Zilzalati View Drop Down

Quote Zilzalati Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 11:27am
I have made confirmation for the most part but DS has not yet send me the final build/configuration. Maybe its because there are still a few alterations that needed to be done particularly on the sound card and the custom drain valve.

I wanted to order the Xonar Essence STX but DS has advised me against it as they believe it could cause certain issues so I decided to stay with onboard audio.

The problem is, I have gone with 4-way SLI and if I choose to get myself a sound card later in the future, can I possibly fit it in?
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 11:32am
Yeah you should beable to fit it in you will have an empty pci slot
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 11:42am
If its the Rampage 4 Extreme than I don't think another card will fit.    The 4x  680's are double slot wide, meaning the unused slot will be blocked. 
Zilzalati View Drop Down

Quote Zilzalati Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 12:32pm
Thanks for the info guys. I guess DS may have overlooked the fact there are no more slots left which explains why I could still consider a sound card. I'm sure they'll notify me if there are any complications.

I'm just curious if the 680s are still double slot wide even after going for a water-cooling setup?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 12:46pm
That's a great question.    I would guess that the card itself might not be as wide but the back panel plate where the monitor connectors are would still get in the way.      That is a great rig you and Frank have been working on.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 1:12pm
Hi bprat22,

It is mostly Zilzalati's system with a little tweaking from me. I think you are right about the base plate. Even though the cover changes, the base plate is still two slots wide.

Frank
Zilzalati View Drop Down

Quote Zilzalati Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 1:29pm
Thanks bprat! Frank has been a tremendous help this past few days Smile. Anyway, I agree that the back panel plate could be a possible culprit or maybe the waterblocks are just too big.

Interestingly, I have been sending emails to DS about my build for this past two days but the replies I got are limited. I'm sure they are all busy but I'm just worried that I might not be able purchase on time. I could use those extra cash for the shipping instead.
 Post Reply Post Reply