FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blueray Software questions.

Post Date: 2012-03-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vigoon1st View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vigoon1st Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Blueray Software questions.
    Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 6:42pm
My DigitalStorm PC was purchased last summer and included a Blue-Ray player and Cyberlink Blueray playback 8.0 software.

This worked fine for playing bluerays until about 2 months ago, when I rented a new release on blueray.

I was immediately hit with a pop up telling me that my software could not run this newer version of blueray and that I had to update my software to play it.

I attempted to do so, only to find that not only does 8.0 not have an update, but it is no longer supported either.

I asked around to family members and friends and they told me that they find it fishy that my blueray player wouldn't be able to play newer blueray disks and also fishy that my software for playing them would be discontinued, forcing me to purchase Cyberlink's newest software package.

What I want to know from those of you with experience in these matters, is:

1. Is it normal to have the software that came with my blueray drive discontinued?
2. Is it normal for me to have to spend $100 every 2-3 years for new blueray software?
3. Is it normal that I rented a blueray that seems to be a new kind of disk that my player can't read?

I mean what do people that own blueray for TV playback do? Do they have to buy new blueray players every 2-3 years just to keep playing new blueray releases?

Thank you for any and all responses.
Minka View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Minka Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 9:13pm
From what I have heard about it, Yes, Yes and Yes.
This is one of the Huge reasons why some people went ahead and bought a PS3 instead of a regular blu-ray player: software update support.
Unfortunately blu-ray players do need software updates in order to play the latest disks, and if you own a standalone one that doesn't have wifi support, you have to plug it into your ethernet or use a flash drive in order to update it. Or in your case, spend $100 to be able to play a new disk.
 Post Reply Post Reply