Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Online Status: Offline
bullet Topic: Bolt Gaming PC: 3.6 Inches Wide
    Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 9:56am
Digital Storm Unveils Bolt – The World’s Thinnest, Most Powerful & Future-proof Gaming PC

Custom designed chassis provides thin form factor and future upgradability; while a 4.6GHz overclocked CPU delivers furious performance

Fremont, Calif. - (October 23, 2012) – Digital Storm, the predominant name in computer system integration and engineering, proudly introduces its slimmest custom designed gaming computer ever - Bolt. With Bolt, Digital Storm gives gamers exactly what they’ve craved: a powerful and affordable gaming PC without the need of a bulky desktop tower.

When conceptualizing the Bolt, Digital Storm engineers found no chassis on the market that met their design criteria, so they designed their own brand new chassis from the ground up. Every aspect of the Bolt from: cooling, performance, and upgradability were ingeniously designed to the highest possible standards. The Bolt boasts a slim yet aggressive profile that is only 3.6” wide and 14” tall. The Bolt’s thin chassis is designed to effectively dissipate heat allowing it to house the latest and fastest components on the market, bucking the trend of sacrificing performance for a smaller footprint.

No other thin form factor tower houses as much power as Bolt because no other system can handle the type of bleeding edge hardware and overclocking that Bolt does. Bolt’s high performance CPU cooling solution, with five copper heat pipes, unlocks even more gaming performance with processor overclocks of up to 4.6 GHz with Intel’s i7 3770K CPU. Bolt also supports up to 3 hard drives: 2 SSDs and 1 mechanical for incredible storage flexibility.

“Gaming PCs have always been housed in massive towers, but we’ve seen that more and more consumers are moving towards smaller and more efficient machines,” said Rajeev Kuruppu, Digital Storm’s Director of Product Development. “We wanted to develop a slim affordable gaming PC that could play the latest titles, while still being a powerful desktop PC that kept future upgradability in mind.”

Prior to shipping to the customer, each Digital Storm system undergoes a rigorous 72-Hour Stress-Test. Digital Storm technicians stress-test and benchmark the system via industry standard testing software coupled with a proprietary testing process that detects components which can be prone to future failure.

To view a video of Digital Storm’s Bolt and product landing page, click here: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/bolt.asp
Orange7 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 4:02pm
Awesome.
DS xm15 Stage 4
i7-3820 (2.7GHz/3.7GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GT 630, 1GB
240GB Intel 520
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 1:08pm
I wanted to update you all on what Rajeev Kuruppu, our Product Development Lead just said about the Bolt launch:

Digital Storm has been extremely pleased by the positive reaction and helpful feedback from reviewers for the Bolt. The process to bring the thinnest and most powerful gaming PC in it's class to market has been an extremely rewarding and challenging project for our engineering team. With all of this feedback, we're making immediate changes to the Bolt’s configuration and design to make it an even better product.

Any customer whom purchases the Bolt since launch will receive these changes on the unit that ships to them:

(1) All Bolt configurations will now feature:

•     Much quieter operation due to a new power supply, which is a more power and heat efficient 500W Gold Plus rated unit versus the previous Bronze model.
•     A less glossy and improved external finish to prevent fingerprints and dust from reflecting off the surface of the Bolt.

(2) In addition, the Bolt Level 3 configuration will also have the following changes while maintaining the same $1,599 price point:

•     Faster storage performance with an upgraded SSD from a 60GB cache drive to a dedicated 120GB SSD.
•     Better CPU benchmark performance with an upgraded CPU from the Intel i5 3570K to an i7 3770K with Intel HyperThreading support.
•     Storage drive changed from a 1TB to a 500GB to help maintain $1,599 price point.
T-Byrd View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 7:38pm
sweet re-config. can someone shell out a little more $ and get the 1TB?
<<insert config here>>
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 11:11am
Yes, the configuration is upgradeable on the configurator.
MDR View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 5:19pm
It only has 1 cooling fan, that being on the processor. Does the ps have a built in fan? Any input or output fans? How is the graphics card being cooled?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 5:58pm
The system has large vents and fans all around the PC.

There are large vents on the right side for the CPU fan processor.

There are large vents on the left side and top for the graphics card to pull in cool air.

The bottom of the chassis also has vents and the PSU also has fans to help cool itself.
rmsgraytiger View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 3:52am
A question -
I am interested in understanding what the connections are on the rear panel of the Bolt. Did I miss this on the spec sheet? I am specifically curious about firewire and HDMI...

Ok, the temptation.
I love the size and the features. I travel about twice a year, lengthy stays. Access to monitors, keyboards, and mice are not a problem on these trips. Right now I am hooked on World of Tanks and spoiled by the speed and graphics my DS desktop delivers, that I got earlier this year.

The Bolt is laptop size and looks to be desktop powerful, at least from my quick pass at your laptops for this price range - $2k to 2.5k. I did only look at the 17.3"x17E Level 2 (in my price range) and Level 4 (another year out).

I would appreciate your advice on the pro's-con's of the Bolt vs your laptop?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 6:51am
Until Alex comes by, all the Bolt's have HDMI on the mobo for integrated gpu and the Bolt 1 gtx650 has a mini hdmi.  The Bolt 2-4 video cards have full size HDMI on the cards i believe.

Firewire has been dropped by most but not all mobos.  The last year p8p67's had Firewire but the newer Z77 mobo's don't. None here i believe.  You'd have to go with a Firewire Adapter card plugged into the mobo with rear ports.

The biggest difference for me with a Bolt vs Laptop on trips  is that with a laptop you don't have to carry a monitor, but that's not a problem for you.  Others with laptop experience might be by. 

Good luck.

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Oct 2012 at 6:53am
DomTheBomb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 12:31pm
The GTX680m is supposed to be slightly less powerful than the gtx670. Not sure how it compares to the 660ti, but that means that the level 4 Bolt will outperform the x17e laptops unless you go SLI 7970m or GTX680m.

The biggest difference (aside from price) would be transportation. If you don't need to bring the system to classes like I do (for video editing), than the bolt would be the better choice since you have access to a monitor.

I see that you're a verified customer now, what did you end up choosing?

Edited by DomTheBomb - 28 Oct 2012 at 12:32pm
DS x17, 1 Year 5 Months
i7 3720QM (2.6GHz/3.6GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
Nvidia GTX 680M 4GB
240GB Intel 520 SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 1:07pm
Everyone has given great responses. In regards to HDMI, a majority of the graphic cards now do support it. Let us know which specific configuration you wish and we can double check for you.
rmsgraytiger View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 5:19am
Wow, thanks for all the fast responses.

I got the Digital Storm Desktop 384483, I hadn't realized how far behind the curve my old box was.

The Level 4 Bolt is going to take a little more song and dance to the finance board <she-who-must-be-obeyed>. I want to play with the configuration options and will post here to get your feedback...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 8:11am
Post in Config Discusion.  We'd love to see what you're getting. 

amoe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 7:49am
Alex,  I ordered a level 4 Bolt a couple days ago.  It's listed in the config thread.

Just wondering why W7 Pro is not an OS choice?  There is only W7 Home listed = no choice.  I have Pro on my current DS computer and would really like to have it on the new Bolt.  Any chance?  I'd call and change the order if it was possible.

Arne
< style=":;:1000" ="application/x-dgnria" id="plugin0" height="0" width="0">< value="ff-tab-2" name="tabId">< value="538" name="counter">
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 8:48am
Hi amoe....  I'm not Alex but I did check the config for ya  and Win7 Pro is listed as an option.  Hit Edit and I didn't have to but hit Expert Mode if it doesn't show.

Call them Monday or email today and see if they get back to you. 

amoe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 8:52am
Thanks a lot.  I used "expert" to configure the system -- May have missed it.  I will contact DS and make the change.

Arne
< style=":;:1000" ="application/x-dgnria" id="plugin0" height="0" width="0">< value="ff-tab-2" name="tabId">< value="943" name="counter">
JGNative4Life View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 9:07am
Hello! i am new to the Forums and was wondering if you could give the the rundown on two gaming computers. The Bolt Level 2 VS the Marauder level 3 or 4. Could you tell me how differently they run and if they could max out on games like BF3(multiplayer), Black Ops 2, Borderlands 2, and other games i randomly buy during the Steam sale. I like the cost on both of the systems, but i would like to get more bang for the buck.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 9:47am
Hi JGNative4Life....    Welcome to the forums.  Of the three you listed, the Marauder 4 has the better video card, the gtx 660TI.  You didn't mention the monitor size or resolution you play with, but the gtx 660Ti will not max out BF3 gaming on a 1920x1080 resolution without the frames per second dipping into the 30's and  40's or so.  High settings will play much better and still gives great gaming.

Here's a link that compares the gtx 660 and 660ti and shows fps with different resolutions and games. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/660?vs=647

You can also put in the 7870 video card of the Marauder 3 to see how it compares.

Hope this helps and good luck.Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 03 Nov 2012 at 9:47am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 5:56pm
Thanks everyone for helping to answer the questions.
Baby Huey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 11:06am
I was contemplating ordering the bolt, but while at home would want to game on 3 monitors. Is the 4gig version of the 680 GTX too big to fit in the bolt? Or can I speak with DS and have it upgraded through comments?
JerryW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Baby Huey

I was contemplating ordering the bolt, but while at home would want to game on 3 monitors. Is the 4gig version of the 680 GTX too big to fit in the bolt? Or can I speak with DS and have it upgraded through comments?

Do we even know the specs on the power supply other than the voltage listings?

The standard 2gb GTX 680 card uses 2-6pin power connectors.  The next step up in performance uses 1-6pin and 1-8pin connector.  The 4gb versions use 2-8pin connectors.  From the picture, I can't tell anything at all if there are any spare molex to convert power to a 6 or 8 pin.

I wonder if you could somehow rig up an external power supply just for the video card? hmmmm

Scratch that idea.  What the Bolt needs is a power supply with 2-6+2pin connectors !

Edited by JerryW - 12 Nov 2012 at 5:41pm
amoe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 11:28am
What I know about the 680 card is limited to the June review in Maximum PC.  It "SAYS" you can run up to 4 monitors with the 680.  Whether or not it will be able to support gaming on 3 monitors or not is not clear to me.  That kind of question would be best posed to DS.

Arne
< style=":;:1000" ="application/x-dgnria" id="plugin0" height="0" width="0">< value="ff-tab-14" name="tabId">< value="859" name="counter">
Baby Huey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 9:02pm
I know it says you can run 4 monitors and play games on 3 of those, but the additional Vram will make it a more pleasant experience from what I have researched. Was hoping Alex would let us know if the 4gb version of the 680 GTX is possible or if it would not fit or if the power supply is not enough to push it. My next desktop ideally will be able to push 3 monitors at good resolutions for gameplay. If it cannot be equipped with it then I may go with a different model even though the form factor for my travels with work would love the Bolt.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 10:02pm
The power supply has enough juice to run the 4GB version, we actually managed to run a GTX 690 on it .

The Bolt is definitely a great PC.
Baby Huey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 2:01am
Wow will the 690 fit? That sounds really interesting. Would be like a superbolt or somethin.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 11:12am
Yes it can fit the GTX 690, but, we don't recommend it due to thermals.
Baby Huey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 11:20am
Kk. I can appreciate that. There should be no thermal issues with the 4gb 680 right? If not, I may be placing an order soon.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 9:54am
Should be perfectly fine.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 12:26pm
We just launched a new and improved version of the Bolt today: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/digital-storm-bolt-now-better-than-ever-tidf19398-pnf1/
 Post Reply Post Reply