FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt X Config Advice

Post Date: 2020-05-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
krappei View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote krappei Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Bolt X Config Advice
    Posted: 25 May 2020 at 1:28pm
Hi All,

I had a DS desktop from 2010 that I loved but "donated" to my brother-in-law a few years ago as I didn't have time to game anymore. I'm getting a little more free time now and am hoping to get back into it. I'm shopping around for a new gaming PC and wanted some advice on the config below. Does anyone have data for temps under high load with only the stage 2 cooling on a Bolt X? I want to avoid liquid cooling the GPU due to cost and maintenance. Any other advice is much appreciated.

1. Your budget: $2800
2. Expectations: Reliability and long life expectancy. Want decent price to performance ratio so am not going for Intel, 3950X or higher GPUs.
3. Usage: Gaming on 1440 monitor at 144 hz. Would like to be able to play on ultra settings for Starcraft 2 and high graphics on any future games that I might want to play.
4.Special Needs: I haven't eliminated going for a mid-size case but would prefer a smaller form factor to minimize space used.

Direct Load URL: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=3118978

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm BOLT X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Side Window: Edge to Edge Premium Tempered Glass <br><strong></strong>
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12-Core) 4.6 GHz Turbo <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming (Wi-Fi) (AMD X570) (Mini-ITX) (Up to 1x PCI-E Device)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 700W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Platinum) (Supports up to GTX TITAN Xp) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Black Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks, Front Panel LED Lighting Only
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2020 at 4:43am
Welcome back.

The Bolt was designed by DS. It has seen several generations over the years, and it's still here. IMHO, you can trust DS to have a combination of parts that work together to prevent thermal issues over the long haul, or they wouldn't continue it. It will run hotter than a larger case, but safely, on air.

The parts you've selected will perform well together. I will point out that Intel RULES when it comes to gaming. The 10700K is around the same price as the 3900X. But it's about 10% faster for gaming due to better memory throughput, and a much higher boost clock. A 10700K build might even be a bit less with everything else the same.

Having said that, The AMD part helps with heavier lifting multi-core tasks, but that's not what gaming is. Take note that if you have no special use for the extra cores, the Ryzen 3800X performs almost identically to the 3900X in gaming. You could save money there.

The only other thing is that if you stay with AMD, the Seagate Firecuda is a new PCIe 4 part that pairs with your AMD mobo to give performance about equal to the Samsung part at a $68 saving.
krappei View Drop Down

Quote krappei Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2020 at 5:24pm
Thanks for the feedback. It's very helpful.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 May 2020 at 3:20am
A pleasure.
 Post Reply Post Reply