FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt X hard drive addition and heat question

Post Date: 2019-10-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dANGLICO View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dANGLICO Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Bolt X hard drive addition and heat question
    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 10:03pm

I ordered a Bolt X and have a few questions.

The DS website says the Bolt can accommodate 2xHHD, and 3xSSD. I messaged DS that I have 2xSSD and 1xHHD that I would like to add that are in my possession and my have media, work and other data. Where will those fit in a SFF Bolt? Will the process be plug and play easy or require some detail and planning?

I’ve read that some Bolt customers previously experienced over heating and coolant system issues, is this a flaw or limitation I should expect or an anomaly I should not be concerned about?

Will this system be able to run games on a 4K display at high and ultra settings without issue? Some of the posts I’ve discovered on the forum were concerning.games are WoT,WoWs, COD MW

I have a DS from 2011 that is still running and I love it’s looks and performance. I’m hoping for another 8 years of awesome out of this order.

I’m a huge fan of DS and looking forward to the new Machine, just looking for some expert feedback. Im currently deployed to Iraq, so the wait of the last two months until I get home will make this Passage of time difficult!

Thanks!

Budget:
$4,300

Expectations:
4K gaming, high, ultra settings, OC CPU/GPU

Usage:
Games, World Of Tanks, World of Warships, COD MW, Microsoft Office Suite

Saved Ticket #: Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 2674285     

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm BOLT X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: Edge to Edge Premium Tempered Glass
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Mini-ITX) (Up to 1x PCI-E Device)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 700W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Platinum) (Supports up to GTX TITAN Xp)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm HydroLux PRO LITE (CPU + Graphics Card)
HydroLux Tubing Style: HardLine Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Blue - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Standard Black Fans
Internal Lighting: Software Controlled Internal + Front Panel LED Lighting (Requires Airflow Control Upgrade)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial s
"In absence of orders go and find something to kill." Field Marshal Erwin Rommel.

Capt J
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 10:41pm
Welcome back and Thank You for your service. Awesome

The specs on your configuration will play 4K fine at max. settings with that RTX 2080Ti. We recommend the soft tubing as it has less issues with shipping and its easier to work around. The hardline does look very nice, though. So...

The configurator gurus will be more detailed in their explanations but I would not oc the gpu, (It is very strong as it is and you will only increase its heat signature.)
nor Windows needs tweeking. I would also order the better ML series fans.

Small Form Factor (SFF) systems naturally run warmer because of their size. We have seen some interesting cooling issues with the Bolt but those are not normal. Hopefully members with the Bolt will chime in and enlighten us.

Enjoy.Big%20Smile

Godspeed.

HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 2:19am
Thank you fo your service🇺🇸!   My forum pal Hose has solid advice.   Soft tubing is more practical.   Don’t Over+lock GPU in Bolt.   Don’t think tweaking Win 10 is a good idea.   

A lot of customers buy Bolt X without a clear understanding of how different a pc design it is from the others in the lineup.   Bolt is a Small Form Factor DS case, and sacrifices are made in order to use it.    Lots of engineering & testing was done to fit everything chosen and make it work.   An engineering SFF marvel.

*Have to use a small Micro ITX mobo...so fewer slots and ports limit add ons &   
upgrade options.   Fewer drives...etc.

*Some components like PSU may be size limited in Bolt to DS proprietary parts.
Means when it’s replacement time, you may need to get parts from DS only.

*Heat will always be a challenge to dispose of in any SFF case.   Fewer case fans,
less open airspace around warm components.   Liquid cooling for both CPU &
GPU is the best most efficient cooling choice and in Bolt it can be essential in
getting reasonable component temps at load.   Ambient room air temps will play a
much bigger role in cooling a Bolt build for best possible temps than it does in
bigger cases.    Heat must be mitigated, as it hampers performance and lifespan of
electronics.     Bolt will not cool pc components as well as other normal size ATX
cases like Lynx, Lumos or Velox with far better airflow and many more & larger
case fans.   

That said, lots of folks enjoy Bolt and get acceptable temps & great performance.    
Bolt X isn’t for everyone.    We have seen folks on the forum who did not realize
any of this when they ordered    Long as you know and accept these SFF issues
...drive on!     Otherwise change build to Lynx, Lumos or Velox cases.     

Edited by HockeyBuck - 01 Nov 2019 at 2:28am
scooby092477 View Drop Down

Quote scooby092477 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by hoserator

Welcome back and Thank You for your service. Awesome
The specs on your configuration will play 4K fine at max. settings with that RTX 2080Ti. We recommend the soft tubing as it has less issues with shipping and its easier to work around. The hardline does look very nice, though. So...
The configurator gurus will be more detailed in their explanations but I would not oc the gpu, (It is very strong as it is and you will only increase its heat signature.)
nor Windows needs tweeking. I would also order the better ML series fans.
Small Form Factor (SFF) systems naturally run warmer because of their size. We have seen some interesting cooling issues with the Bolt but those are not normal. Hopefully members with the Bolt will chime in and enlighten us.
Enjoy.Big%20Smile
Godspeed.

It doesnt let you pick different fans. I ordered mine and asked them but they didnt have an answer as to why i couldnt add better fans or other than stock black fans.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 7:55pm
I too would be concerned with heat.

I have a Lumos with an i7-9700K and a RTX-2080 with a DS Stage 2 Liquid Cooler (No Maintenance). I also have six Corsair LL fans. There is plenty of breathing space in my case.

In my situation I have hit 80 degrees once playing Overwatch on Ultra at 1440p and 144Hz. Most of the time it is in the mid-to-upper 70's.
dANGLICO View Drop Down

Quote dANGLICO Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 9:29pm
Gents,

The Bolt X is running like a champ at max settings on games from MW, WoT, WoWS, and DOTA 2.

No heat issues. I love the size and the liquid cooling is amazing.

One problem is the CPU water block lighting was disconnected upon arrival, missing a connecting cable adapter.

DS sent out a couple adapters. One didn't fit, the other didn't remedy the problem. Small aesthetic thing, but for a 4k custom boutique PC it has been a little disappointing.

The offered to have it back to correct, but as I am currently stationed in Japan, the turn-around isn't practical.

Love the machine, performance and presentation... just short of perfect.
"In absence of orders go and find something to kill." Field Marshal Erwin Rommel.

Capt J
 Post Reply Post Reply