FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt X internal dimensions

Post Date: 2020-10-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bruce View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Bolt X internal dimensions
    Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 8:21am
I am considering a couple of changes to my Bolt X, and am looking for any guidance on offer.

I'd like to upgrade the standard Wraith Spire cooler for my Ryzen 5 with something from Noctua or Be Quiet. Any recommendations? Does anyone know the maximum recommended height? If the fan is blowing air onto the CPU, I assume that I would not want it too close to the glass side of the case?

I'd like to add hw-based ray tracing support once supply of the latest GPUs settles down. The new cards all seem to be >2 slot widths. Will the Bolt X have any problems with an almost 3 slot card? What is the formal maximum dimensions of the GPU card it will handle?

And the real question: 3070 or 6800 for highest settings with ray-tracing at 1440p?

Thanks!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 4:29am
I don't know if anyone of us could give you an answer to the space required questions that you could rely on. I think we would be guessing. I refer you to DS on those issues. The Bolt is their in-house design, so they would be the authority IMHO. BTW, an air cooler doesn't blow air onto the the CPU. There are heat conducting tubes running up from the heat sink, and the fans and radiator fins cool the tubes.

The GPU question is almost equally murky just now. here's the conlusion reached at Digital Trends:

"Too soon to call"
"At the end of October 2020, before the RX 6800 is available or reviewed, it’s too early to say whether it’s better than the RTX 3070 or not. What is exciting, however, is that both cards should be competitive on all fronts. There’s the potential for the RX 6800 to be the slightly faster card, especially when paired with an AMD Ryzen 5000 CPU, but we don’t know much about its ray tracing support or what kind of performance impact that may have in supporting games.

It also doesn’t have a DLSS-like feature just yet, which gives the RTX 3070 a huge leg up in supporting games. The 3070 will also be the cheaper card, at least if it stays in stock long enough for price gouging not to be a problem. Considering how the launch of the 3080 and 3090 went, the 3070 may end up being more costly in the near future.

For now, both cards look like excellent ways to game at 4K and 1440p, with and without ray tracing enabled. If you’re on the fence and unsure which you want, wait for real benchmarks and for more ray-tracing information from AMD. The potential is there for either to be a stellar next-gen card for your PC upgrade, but it’s not clear just yet which is best."

Just Google 3070 vs 6800 for this whole article and several others. Basically, the 6800 is too new for any benchmarks that could tell the tale more completely, but they will be coming soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply