Post Date: 2018-07-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Godsent View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Godsent Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Bolt X
    Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 3:35pm
Hey guys! Been doing my homework and shopping around. I want to replace my A********** Aurora and I am leaning towards the Bolt, but I have some questions.

I have been using my current AIO cooler since 2011 without issue (knock on wood), and my current system is left powered on and used daily quite a bit. So reliability is important.

1. The Corsair H100i GTX vd the Corsair H110i G. I'd assume the latter would be a little more powerful due to the size of the radiator (240vs280)? But how much more efficient cooling wise, and has there been any info on the reliability of either of these two models? Suggestions, or feedback?

2. Does the system use a full size version of the card? I selected a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G.

3. What kind of temperatures are people getting using the stock blower, vs going with the watercooled option? This would be my first small form factor build, and I am concerned with the card running too hot.

4. For lighting, is there a "white light" option?

5. For recovery tools, I'd like to have both the USB drive and the CD-DVD, but the configuration does not allow for both, or am I missing something?

Build Code: 1987766

... removed competitor name ...

Edited by Snaike - 17 Jul 2018 at 4:50pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 8:33am
Larger radiator = more airflow, better cooling. Corsair warrants both products for 5 years, so they think they have a pretty reliable product!

Full size card.

Have yet to see anyone who has the Bolt complain of high temps. DS can be relied upon to design systems that do not have chronic problems like that. I personally would not have liquid cooling for the potential problems and maintenance.

The internal light strip can be set to a static color, including white.

I'm sure you can order both media in the build comments. Just be sure they have noted that when they confirm your order.

Unless you have a particular need for it, 32GB of ram is not necessary for gaming, FYI.

Welcome to DS!
Godsent View Drop Down

Quote Godsent Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 11:33pm
Thanks Cretae!

I opted for the 32GB since I also use Photoshop extensively and often work with very high resolution images.

If I did opt for the Pro cooling setup, what does the maintenance look like? I saw DS had a video for filling the reservoir, which seemed pretty straightforward but no video specific for the flushing of the system. How often should I be flushing the system? I had read that Swifttech suggests every 2 years, but is that what DS also recommends?

I'd be curious how the fittings and soft tubing has held up for users with systems several years old. Anyone want to share some feedback?

If I went for the Pro setup, I might as well do the GPU block as well. If I upgraded the card later, how difficult would it be to get the new card in the loop?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 2:35am
The frequency you have to service the Swiftech unit is all over the place.   We’ve seen customers only a few months in having to flush discolored coolant, others see it last much longer.     

Putting the graphics card in the loop means redoing the plumbing and adding a water block to any upgrade card.    If you’re handy and up to it, them why not ?    Graphics cards don’t need to be water cooled for the majority.    If you do it for aesthetics or plan on stressing the card for extended times then go for it. Remember, the more complicated the setup the more room for problems, maintenance, etc.    

Godsent View Drop Down

Quote Godsent Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 4:44pm
If I had the card in the loop from the factory, then it would just be a matter of flushing, adding the waterblock to the new video card and re-fill?

Is the maintenance inconsistency common in all open loops are more inherit to just the Swifttech model? I have built pc's before, just never serviced or built an open loop before. I guess its just a matter of getting my feet wet so to speak (no pun intended).

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 1:37am
The inconsistency seems to be the Swiftech but I’m mainly going by forum feedback.   Across the board, I’m not sure.   

If you select hardline or copper tubing you might have to replace some tubing. Depends how the newer water block fittings line up.   But, like you said, drain, replace the card and refill.   

Godsent View Drop Down

Quote Godsent Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 9:55pm
Thanks for the info bprat. I did some reading up on the Swifttech unit, and it seems like some of the models are plagued with leaking issues. I will continue reading up on them, but what I read made me a little worrisome about using that kit.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 1:24am
I personally don’t like the Swiftech just for the reason you said plus the maintenance.   Had quite a few forum members come back with leaking issues.    Not sure what percentage it accounts for.    But if you want the gpu under water in the Bolt it’s the only option.   

Do you need the little smaller Bolt ?   Not as small as the original.   The Lumos isn’t that much larger and gives more options, better cooling with added space.   Just a thought.

I have the Lumos with H100i gtx and Corsair ML Pro fan option that cools great and is almost silent with great lighting.   Gtx 1080 is on air and just fine.   

Edited by bprat22 - 21 Jul 2018 at 1:31am
Godsent View Drop Down

Quote Godsent Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 7:58am
I don't usually have a need for the extra space. That is one of the reasons why I thought the Bolt might be a good choice.

Which MB did you go with for your lumos? I do like how quite a few of the X299 MB's have a built in temp reader for the cpu. I wish that extended to the Z370 at a decent price point.

Does your case have the DS brand on it? I saw one review video from 2017 and it had corsair on the PSU shroud and front panel.

How sturdy does the case feel? It is kinda neat that you can see the back side too.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 8:13am
Here's my build...

Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 1924664 (Config # 1924664) - Quantity: 1 - Price: $3,473.00

System Configuration:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K (6-Core) 3.70GHz
Motherboard: MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z370 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W Corsair RM750x (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: External USB - DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 860 EVO)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i GTX - 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair ML PRO Series (High Static Pressure) (Magnetic Levitation)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: Bundle: Exclusive T-Shirt (LARGE) (L) + Water Bottle + Carbon Fiber Pen + Leather Keychain
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty (4 Year Labor & 2 Year Part Replacement)

It does have the DS lightning logo on the front bottom and the case is sturdy, very well constructed.  It does have glass panels on front and both sides.  Actually arrived with no broken glass.  Hahaha

You can use HWMONITOR to check cpu and gpu temps.  The X299 is more than most need, the extra Pcie lanes useless unless you go with multi video cards and the quad channel ram vs dual on the 370 isn't useful for most gaming.

DS did an awesome job. 

PSU shroud also has Digital Storm emblazoned on it.

Edited by bprat22 - 21 Jul 2018 at 8:15am
Godsent View Drop Down

Quote Godsent Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 10:08am
I put together this build with the Velox. I like that this case is custom, and cannot just be bought anywhere online. Looks pretty sharp with the inverted motherboard too :D

I can't decide on a color though. I wish DS posted a lot more pics of combos. I checked out their instagram and its somewhat limited too. Most of the builds there are ultra decked out in watercooling and that isn't reflective of the type I am putting together here.

I like the look of the new Velox X, how it has their name plate in the window that is lit up. That is one of the best looking features on the aventum 3. That lit up name plat is pretty epic :D

Have any pics of your system posted?

Edited by Godsent - 21 Jul 2018 at 10:10am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 11:39am
Build looks good.

I'm not sure you're aware that SSD is an M.2 form factor, but is SATA III interface. If you want to stay close to that price, I highly recommend you get the Samsung 500GB 970 EVO NVMe. Only another $37 it will be much faster than the SATA one and is well worth it just for the 5 year warranty from Samsung alone.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 11:40am
I considered the Velox case but opted out because it’s side window is on the right side. My desk works better with left window, pc on the right. I could change it around but decided not to.   

In your build I suggest swapping the primary DS m.2 drive for the 970 m.2.   Not all m.2 are created equal.   The DS is SATA interface and the 970 is PCIE NVME interface for many times faster transfers.    SATA is plenty fast but might as well get the latest if budget allows.

No pics yet. I’ve been slow posting the new rig, busy playing with it.   

Cretae snuck in before me.   

Edited by bprat22 - 21 Jul 2018 at 11:41am
Godsent View Drop Down

Quote Godsent Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 8:16pm
I must have been in a rush as I was playing with the configuration before work. Yea, I am def going NVME.Now time to pick some colors!

I am torn between the classic black, or going blue with with white cables, or maybe even yellow. A little contrast is always fun :D What colors would you guys go for if you got the velox?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 2:18am
When I was considering the Velox, I had selected blue with white cable extenders.     
Godsent View Drop Down

Quote Godsent Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 3:01pm
has there been any word when the new Velox X case will be out? 
 Post Reply Post Reply