FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boomer needs help with configuration for a gift

Post Date: 2021-01-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
KayB View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote KayB Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Boomer needs help with configuration for a gift
    Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 7:07pm
Budget:
[$4000-$5000

I am purchasing this for my son for gaming/streaming/coding.
Is this an appropriate configuration? In terms of power, memory, etc....

Thank you for your help!

Configuration Code: 3727774
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 5:59am
No. Way too much unnecessary overkill. You could be waiting forever for a 5950 which is just so beyond anything you need. It's not DS fault, AMD has burned them repeatedly with no or inadequate supply. We have people who ordered one in November that don't have the part.

Get him a 3900X if he thinks he needs the extra cores/threads. Get a better motherboard for a no-worries upgrade to a 5000 series CPU if it ever seems necessary. 64 GB of RAM seems excessive, but at least save $109 on the DS RAM which is FASTER. There is no need for a 1000W power supply.

Here's how to save about $550 and get all the bells and whistles he'll ever need. Performance-wise, unless he's gonna just waste all his time benchmarking this and that, he will never know the difference between this box and that other one.

Config 3728979      $4139.

newtothis View Drop Down

Quote newtothis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 6:58am
Originally posted by Cretae

64 GB of RAM seems excessive, but at least save $109 on the DS RAM which is FASTER

Are you certain? Selecting this option seems to assure you only of the frequency DS will provide with one of its rebranded supply. You could be getting a C18/20, etc.. which is important too. You could also be getting 4x16gb, requiring a total swap for an upgrade down the road. Lastly, that gskill Trident can be OC'd fairly easily and with good stability. Now, none of this may matter to the OP, but with a build at 4.6k, idk if $100 is much of a needle mover, given the above factors. OP says it's for his kid, I'm guessing this is a teenager, so consequently I'm guessing rgb is important too ( selected rgb lighting and corsair rgb LL fan upgrade). The gskill Trident (rgb) are in line with that theme.
KayB View Drop Down

Quote KayB Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Cretae

No. Way too much unnecessary overkill. You could be waiting forever for a 5950 which is just so beyond anything you need. It's not DS fault, AMD has burned them repeatedly with no or inadequate supply. We have people who ordered one in November that don't have the part.

Get him a 3900X if he thinks he needs the extra cores/threads. Get a better motherboard for a no-worries upgrade to a 5000 series CPU if it ever seems necessary. 64 GB of RAM seems excessive, but at least save $109 on the DS RAM which is FASTER. There is no need for a 1000W power supply.

Here's how to save about $550 and get all the bells and whistles he'll ever need. Performance-wise, unless he's gonna just waste all his time benchmarking this and that, he will never know the difference between this box and that other one.

Config 3728979      $4139.

Thank you!! I have no idea what I am doing and built this from recommendations I found in internet searches. I don't even know what any of these components are for...... This is very helpful!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 4:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply