FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

@bprat22 Build Advice: Revised

Post Date: 2012-02-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
xii View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: @bprat22 Build Advice: Revised
    Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 6:52am
All,

Below is the build 659477.

Budget: 10000 give or take.
Purpose:  Gaming, video, art (mostly gaming)
Considerations:  I would like to run a total of 5 monitors as one display.

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Cryo-TEC Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Corsair Vengeance (High-Performance) <b></b>
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F120GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (500GB Seagate Barracuda (7200 RPM) (16MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112) <b></b>
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: !PROMOTION: Killer 2100 (Optimized for Online Gaming) Lag and Latency Reduction <b></b>
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (PhysX) (Overclocked EVGA 015-P3-1582-BR)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based) <b></b>
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Cryo-TEC CPU System & Chipset + Triple Video Cards Liquid Cooling
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Red) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red) <b></b>
Enhancements: Strike-X AeroCool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material) <b></b>
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability <b></b>
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)

Note: I realized from other posts I've read that noise reduction is a bad decision, I will most likely remove it.  Should I add more / less SSD?  In raid perhaps?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 7:20am
Hi xii.....I'm not up on the needs of 5 monitor displays  but I can give you some suggestions.

Yes, drop the noise package..kind of a waste.

I don't have, but the opinion of most is the Killer 2100 card does little or nothing.

I'm assuming from this that you want a 6 core cpu, the i7-3960 for video rendering, graphics, etc and the quad channel ram platform of the X79.  I think the 3960 for another $500 is not worth it.  Not much gain in precessing from what I've read.  See if the 3930K will fit your needs.

Fan upgrades are usually noisy and the fan controller will allow you to adjust their speeds but really only decreases the air flow for cooling.  I have never been a fan, Big%20Smile but it looks great and as long as the temps stay in check then your call as always. This fan upgrade might be  quieter than others.  Ask DS of the noise first.  They will tell ya what to expect.

SSD is all about what storrage you need.  120Gb is a little low.  The 180Gb 520 series gives you some headroom.  Raid for SSD I would think is not needed.  SSD's are quick.   Plus in some raid if one storage device gets corrupted they both get corrupted because of shared data.  Others here know Raid better than I.  See what they can offer. 

Drop Ram to 1600Mhz.  The 2133Mhz you'll never see.

Hope this helps and that is a dynamite rig. Big%20SmileBig%20Smile

If you think you'll ever go beyond 16GB ram go for Win 7 Professional

Edited by bprat22 - 26 Feb 2012 at 7:33am
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 7:36am
Copy all.

Thanks for these inputs - they are really helpful.
I'm stressing over maintenance and cleaning of water cooling systems - it would be the first liquid system I've owned.Scared

Ill make those changes.  I agree about the killernic btw, I just wanted to see some peoples opinions.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 7:42am
I don't have lc, and I'm jealous Big%20Smile, but my understanding is the maintenance is just topping of fluids every year or so.    The other consideration is, that with lc on your gpu's if you're not up on the mechanical end of it, if a gpu fails and you need to replace, then a trip back to DS is needed for your rig.    I would do it myself, but not everyone would feel comfortable.  Just a thought.  

xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 7:52am
Yea, its something I really wanna do though.  I'm just about to retire from the Navy and in 2 short months I'm going to make very many 12yr BF3 players cry.  All. Day. Long.  Can't -wait- to get this going.  Love what I've seen from DS.  Tomorrow needs to happen so I can call and ask many questions over the phone.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 7:54am
Thanks for your service.Awesome
With this rig, retirement is gonna be sweet.

These 12 year olds are darn quick, those young reflexes and all.  Good luckBig%20SmileBig%20Smile
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 1:29pm
Hi xii,

I have some suggestions for you build but first I have some questions. Why do you want 5 monitors? Have you played games on a 5 monitor setup? It seems to me that 5 monitors will be unmanageable. Someone on a single 30" monitor will probably be able to out play you. Have you thought about the mechanics of moving your cursor from the upper left corner of the upper left monitor, to the lower right corner of the lower right monitor. Think about the movement you have to make with your mouse to make that move. If you just got to have multi screens for impact wouldn't 4 screens work better moving from corner to corner like I described.

With 5 screens you need more than three GPUs for top performance. Even with 4 GPUs you will be turning things down to get good results. I am assuming your 5 screens will be 1920 x 1080/1200

Frank
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 2:08pm
Hi xii,

Here is a build that you might consider. There are a couple of problems due to the configurator and the amount of equipment you need.

1. I think you need 4 GPUs for you 5 monitor system so you may need a 1500w PS. Check that with DS.

2. I left the sound card in the system but with 4 GPUs I don't think you have a usable slot to plug in the sound card.

3. I show 4 580 1.2 Gb GPUs but a better choice would be 4 570 3Gb GPUs. It is not listed in the configurator. You will have to talk to DS to get 4 570s.

4. I deleted the Killer 2100. Just a waste of your money. If there is any performance gain at all it is so small you will never see it.

5. I deleted the AeroCool temp and fan controller. If you want to buy it for the looks then go for it. But it doesn't measure temps accurately and it doesn't control all fans. If you use it in conjunction with a software program to measure temps it is OK. You can get a compassion reading of the temps. Find out with Real Temp the true temps of the CPU and then see what temp the AeroCool meter reads. Then just use the reading as a reference so you can see if it is going up or down but not what the true temp is. I don't think it is worth the money.

6. I left off the noise suppression option. This is a bad option for an air cooled system but I don't know if it is helpful with this Cyro Tec system. The noise dampening may be useful. I don't like turning down fans to reduce noise.

Frank

Well the configuration program is not working again. It didn't give me the right configuration so I deleted it. I will be back on tomorrow and give you a build. In the mean time you can tell us about your 5 monitor setup.

Edited by FrankW - 26 Feb 2012 at 2:13pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 2:18pm
Yep.....this configure problem is getting to be a pain.     This morning I gave up in frustration.   Thanks for helping xii.
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 9:48pm
Sir(s)

Agreed on all points.  I even noticed I could connect 4 monitors per 590 (new cards).

So.. dual 590s?

I didn't even think about that sound card thing.  Good eye Frank you are the best.  I am really pleased, to be this PC will be a representation of the community knowledge base.

Yea, I started reading up even more on the KNiC.  Just not interested anymore.

I really think the config. applet needs to show which pieces aren't compatible.

Example: Cooling system (default) 3GPU should go away when I have the 2x (590) option selected and revert to a 2 GPU cooling option.

With the kind of money I plan on spending, I really can't justify incompatibilities or the snags that you notice after you've had the PC a couple weeks.

So, tomorrow I'll sit down and plan a bit with DS - it seems they are worth the business, the representative tomorrow will weigh a lot based on their knowledge and presentation for sure.

I do really appreciate all of you, the community.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 6:40am
Hi xii,

The 590 card is a very poor choice. A 590 has two cards operating in SLI in one unit. Having the two cards together causes a lot of heat and so they detune the cards. Two SLI 570 cards will give better performance than a 590. Not only is the performance and heat not acceptable but if one of the two parts of the card fails, you have to buy a new 590. With four 570/580 cards if one fails you just replace a single card and you can keep playing on the other three. The 590 card is a mistake.

You didn't tell me if you have played on 4 or 5 separate screens configured as one screen. Believe me I will rather play on one 30" monitor instead of trying to play on multiple screens. If you want to be top dog in your game patch then a single screen is a better choice. Take a look at the Dell 30" IPS monitor. Now I can understand that you may have your heart set on multiple screens and that is your choice. Just giving information for you to consider.

Frank
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 11:07am
Talked with CS today (Lars is awesome).

This is the build - I would also add a 'hidden' option to cool the N/S Bridge.

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Cryo-TEC Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Corsair Vengeance (High-Performance) <b></b>
Power Supply: 1500W Silverstone (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended) <b></b>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series) <b></b>
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112) <b></b>
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (PhysX) (Overclocked EVGA 015-P3-1582-BR)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Cryo-TEC CPU System & Chipset + Triple Video Cards Liquid Cooling
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive) <b></b>
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Red) (Up to 6 Fans) <b></b>
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red) <b></b>
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Digital Storm LaserMark Service - Graphic (Non-Window Metal Side Panel) <b></b>
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability <b></b>
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition) <b></b>
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 6 Year Limited Warranty <b></b>

Thoughts?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 11:43am
Yeah, I've got a thought....Can ya buy me one tooLOL

My only questions would be is the 3960 worth the $500 over 3930?   What did Lars say?  Just curious.

Nice setup. Big%20Smile
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 11:44am
That rig is going to be a monstrosity, congrats! Big%20SmileAwesome
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 1:42pm
Hi xii,

I see you have ordered the OC 580 and then also order DS to OC them. You don't want both.

What monitor setup are you going to use with this system? Don't forget to order your free T-Shirt.

Frank
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 2:30pm
This build is just for referenced.  Waiting on you wonderful people.

Ah questions. 

Can I buy you one too?  Yes, the next time I retire you can have one. 2030 - put it on your calendar.

@frank - thanks!  Ill remove the OC option.
@frank - I'm going for a single monitor per your suggestion, 5 would have been cool but really - its about performance so I took your advice to heart.

Oh, and Lars said although there is a difference, I won't notice it.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 2:48pm
Can't wait for 2030.    Of course I'll be 79. Oh,well.     
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 3:09pm
xii, that sounds great. Are you going with the Dell 30" IPS monitor. If so, make sure you get it on sale. It goes on sale all the time and you just have to catch a sale.

Frank
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Can't wait for 2030.    Of course I'll be 79. Oh,well.     

79 is the new 50 Big%20Smile
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 3:22pm
@bprat - the perfect 80th bday present!
@Frank - Thats a good monitor?
@Tidgxor - Is the 50 the new 25?
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by xii

@Tidgxor - Is the 50 the new 25?

In my world yes Hahaha
 Post Reply Post Reply