FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BSOD and much more, need help!

Post Date: 2020-04-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bassinyoface View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bassinyoface Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: BSOD and much more, need help!
    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 12:03am
So last night while playing Borderlands 3, I got up to use the restroom. Upon re-entering the room I catch the tail end of a BSOD (unable to catch the crash code). Computer restarts and this is where all my fun began. It attempts to get to the windows main screen and I see only a light blue/teal screen with the time on it. After clicking to login it takes 5-10 minutes to get to my desktop background only. In my mind something is eating up my RAM during start-up sis I ctrl-alt-del to get a task manager to run. This takes a few minutes to populate. Background only still on screen no desktop icons or bars. All parts of task manager show little usage across the board. Everytime you click on the background it "whites out" like a program not responding type thing. I tell myself f$#* it I'll do a system restore. I see a restore point cool right, well it will not restore from that point. So I decide to format disks to do a total from scratch install. Low and behold this isn't the easiest to do, I use the recovery usb to be able to access /cmd, as I can't do anything from my background only. One of the disks I can't format at all. Its marked read only, all fixes to revert this error out or are blocked. So I decide to let it attempt to login and load while I lay down for the "night" (I work nightshift so my nights are daytime). 8+ hours and still in the same situation. Checked seating on all components and it's wonderfully seated. Lather rinse and repeat.... Nothing I need some ideas or something.Pics

Edited by Bassinyoface - 09 Apr 2020 at 12:10am
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 3:59am
That error code is associated with a bad EFI boot partition. I had a similar problem on an old MSI laptop Not saying this is similar to your situation but it may give you some more insights. At the very least call DS tech support.

On my MSI laptop, I had Windows installed on my NVME SSD to speed up the boot process. For some reason, the laptop was unable to find the NVME drive. When I tried booting, the laptop wouldn't post. I ended up going into the BIOS, changing my boot up order, and was able to boot from a USB drive. I reinstalled Windows on my hard drive, and was able to post. Eventually, the laptop found the NVME, and I was able to reinstall the OS.

Your messages are consistent with a corrupted file partition. The message where you can't format the SSD may be consistent with that drive either not properly connected or even failed.

What kind of system do you have? Can you check the SSD using a different computer? If you install the OS on a hard drive, even an external drive, does Windows detect the SSD? Can you format the SSD from Disk Manager in Windows?

Quote Bassinyoface Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 6:43pm
The SSD is recognized. But I'm unable to format it from diskpart. Comes with the read only error. All attempts to remove the read-only status can't follow through either. I took the SSD out to hopefully bypass and be able to install on the mechanical drive, and computer wouldn't even get to POST, just a non-booting cycle. Put the SSD back and we are right back where we started.

Quote Bassinyoface Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 6:48pm
build info

Edited by Bassinyoface - 09 Apr 2020 at 6:50pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 6:57am
I've never had need to use it, but from the posts I've seen from others, DS tech support is most often VERY good. They can remotely assess your system, and walk you through multiple fixes (if needed) until they get to the bottom of the issue. Just sayin'.

Quote Bassinyoface Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 11:51am
I'm not sure if I can even get that far to be able to receive remote access.
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 2:05pm
Can you do this:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi-support

My thinking is this: if you can get into the BIOS when the PC powers up, change the boot order such that the USB drive will be selected first. The USB drive should have a bootable windows 10 installation media. It will then proceed with installing Windows on your mechanical drive.

I have had to do the above on my MSI laptop. For some unknown reason to me, the installed NVME with the OS wasn't being recognized.

Quote Bassinyoface Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 6:47pm
That's the same thing I've been doing... It blocks me from installing on the c: (mechanical) and d: (the SSD) I'm unable to install on it as well

Quote Bassinyoface Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 8:14pm
I found someone who ran into a similar situation after a lot of Google searching. Seems as though the drive failed. Now to contact customer support. Haven't had theachine a year opted for the 3 year.
eerily similar case
 Post Reply Post Reply