FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BSOD - unrecoverable hardware error

Post Date: 2014-06-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DreadRaybo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DreadRaybo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: BSOD - unrecoverable hardware error
    Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 11:14am
I think I know the answer to this but would like some confirmation. Every so often, and from what I can tell only when I'm playing BF4, my DS system will crash to the blue screen of death. Highlights of the full page error message are that there was an unrecoverable hardware error, and it performs a memory dump. If the speakers are on, they make a rapid beeping noise, for lack of a better word. I hit my reboot button, clear the useless help message from Win7 Pro, and things are back to normal.

I am guessing that it is probably my overclock failing. I purchased the system with an i7-4770k chip right when it came out, and opted for the stage 2 OC. They were able to OC mine to 4.5GHz, but shortly after that I think they were only OC'ing those chips to stage 1, or 4.4GHz tops.

What do you guys think? Is my assumption correct, or could it be something else? It happens maybe once a month or every other, so it is not consistent. The highest stressing game I play is BF4, so that is why I think it seems to only happen with it. And am I correct that I shouldn't be too concerned unless it happens more regularly? And so you know, I play quite a lot of BF4, so most of the time I have no issues.   
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 11:32am
Hi DreadRaybo.....  It could definitely be an unstable overclock or a heat issue, bad video driver install, bad ram stick, etc.   Could also be the game if it just happens with BF4.

Happening only every month or so makes finding the problem very difficult.   A re-install of the video card drivers or different ones would be a good start.

I would also download the free HWMonitor and watch the temps with it open during gaming.    The 4 cpu cores and gpu core should stay in the mid 80's or less to rule it out.  If they creep into the mid 90's that could be your problem.

Try reseating your video card and the ram sticks.   That does fix a lot of issues.  And check all connections to the mobo, drives, etc. 

You can go into Bios and load Defaults, save and exit to drop the overclock temporarily.  Can always reload it in Bios, Tools tab, Asus oc Profiles is the usual place but check your  mobo manual. 

Usually with an unstable overclock you'll get an error like Overclock failed, but not always.  You can call DS and they will tweak it over the phone, usually upping the vcore a bit or changing the Multiplier.  

Use BluScreenView or WhoCrashed to see what the culprit is after the next bsod.   A few lines down will hint at it. 

Hope this helps and good luck.  Big%20Smile

DreadRaybo View Drop Down

Quote DreadRaybo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 10:35pm
I have the HWMonitor that came loaded on my DS system. A few years ago I had a tool that you could set to log temps every few seconds or so. You could set how long, and it would keep a temp log until you told it to stop. I forget what it was called now. I don't see that option in HWMonitor. Is there another temp monitoring program that has a background logging feature?
 Post Reply Post Reply