FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Build # 411881 was a monster in 2010!! ..

Post Date: 2020-01-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
anoldman View Drop Down
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote anoldman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Build # 411881 was a monster in 2010!! ..
    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 1:28pm
Budget:
$2k - $2.5k

Expectations:
The usual Digital Storm master crafting!

Usage:
Gaming. 1440p, although I would like to maybe be able to just upgrade graphics card in the future to handle 4k as an option. Current gaming is mostly strategy: Total War Warhammer 2, Age of Wonders Planetfall, Steel Division 2, Pathfinder Kingmaker (sidenote: Turnbased mod made this game playable for me and now I'm loving it!) Back on track: MechWarrior 5, Outer Worlds, Red Dead sound fun. I presume someday maybe a Fallout 5 or Skyrim. Wish someone would make a game that would make me want to dust off my thrustmaster.. SSD for snappy load times would be nice.   

Special Needs:
So about 2 years ago I purchased a Geforce GTX1080 and plugged it in to squeak out a few more years of life. Worked great for awhile but my ram is to low/out of date and my HD is getting creaky. If I can get a system without a new GPU, to just use the one I have for awhile longer that would be great. Alternatively I could mail it to you at my risk or some such? I don't know, it just didn't seem like 2080 offered much of a boost to start over on GPU too. Am I wrong?

Saved Ticket #: 411881 Lol.. ;) My old/current rig. :)

Thanks in advance for any build/ticket suggestions or thoughts on what I might consider. I'm eager, but not in any rush, buying timeline is 1 to 8 months. My current rig still runs.. just a little slowly.. :)
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 3:19pm
Welcome back.
Since your timeline is up to 8 mos. I would wait for the new NVIDIA cards (RTX 30XX) to come out sometime within those 8 mos. They are reported to be a big step above the current 20XX series. The 1080 is still a very good card but not only dated but lacks the new tech that the RTX series brought with them.

You will also enjoy the way faster memory advances that really make your system rock as compared to your actual HDD or any SATA SSD.

The gurus will chime in with more explicit and detailed information. Just wanted to let you know that good things are coming in the near future for gaming systems.

Edited by hoserator - 09 Jan 2020 at 3:20pm
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 3:29pm
Welcome back to the forum anoldman! That is an old rig! You did well to keep it going so long with GPU upgrade, but its time. I have ordered 4 DS systems since 2011 and that includes a nice 2019 Lumos with an RTX 2080 that my son uses.

I do believe you are not correct about the 2080 Super.
According to the comparison site User Benchmark the RTX 2080 Super would provide an average +34% gain in gaming FPS over the old GTX 1080. RTX 2080 Super also has NVidia Ray Tracing for more realistic lighting effects in games & graphics, more GPU cores, better rendering too and some recent color space professional perks for users of Adobe Creative products..

Add just a little to that budget for a GPU and here is a system that includes an RTX 2080 Super and has what you need to do the next 9 years on a brand new DS system.   Overclocked Intel i7 9700K 8 core CPU, Corsair sealed no maintenence H100i AIO cooler, Asus ROG Z390 Strix-H motherboard, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, a Corsair 850 watt PSU, and excellent Corsair Crystal LL Series RGB case fans.   The look of all the Corsair RGB equipped components is controlled and designed by you, using Corsairs iCUE software. You also get a fast Samsung Evo 970 Pro 500 GB M.2 NVME SSD drive1. M.2 NVME SSD are 5X faster than normal SATA III speed SSD as they utilize the faster PCIE bus that video cards use.

Lumos Build # 2820560    $3139 minus DS Sale $300 OFF = $2839

See what you think, but this new DS rig does circles around the old girl...lol.   I have no doubt that NVidia will come out later this year with new upgraded cards once again, but you would of course expect to pay more for that as well. I don't see a great reason yet for waiting to see what NVidia does in September when the performance of the just recently updated RTX Super cards are so strong now.

Edited by HockeyBuck - 09 Jan 2020 at 3:38pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 4:32am
The kind of games you have cited are more of the static, let's consider our next move genre, than ones that would benefit from the frame rate increase HockeyBuck is advocating. They also do not have any of the advanced lighting effects the RTX line offers. There are yet very few games that have that feature. On the other hand, the 1080 you have is still very strong for 1440p in the games you like.

I have to agree with Hoserator that the newer cards due in the first half would be worth waiting for. Instead of paying more for an over-powered card, what is more typical (but not guaranteed!) is that the price/performance fit for your use is far more capable at about the same price point.

The other points HB makes about parts you should consider are solid picks. Full disclosure, HB and I disagree about GPUs all the time. He recommends the very strongest card one can stretch the budget to get, while I advocate the price/performance fit for the monitor and the games played. IMO, his view was almost "canon law" before the RTX line came out and broke all price guidelines. $904 for a very-soon-to-be old news video card when you already have one that will take you well more than adequately into the next gen will likely having you wishing you had held off.

I recommend you consult with DS about the best way to outfit a new rig with your own 1080. You already know it works, so you may not need to send it in. They may well be able to test your rig without the card you're going to use. I really don't have any info on that.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 5:05am
Originally posted by anoldman

Wish someone would make a game that would make me want to dust off my thrustmaster..

Elite: Dangerous... the only reason, imho, to even own a joystick...   
anoldman View Drop Down

Quote anoldman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 6:22am
Thanks for all the replies everyone!   

@Hoserater and Cretae, good advice and I think I'll take it. I appreciate the thoughts/feedback!

@Hockeybuck, thanks for taking the time with the build! I think I'll take the advice with some small tweaks and give them a call to see about options re: the GPU.

@Snaike, thanks I've eyed it for awhile so a new rig seems a good way to test it/dive in. I've also wanted to play Ace Combat 7 which looked great and apparently is the light-sim/medium-sim level I like for space/aircraft games.   

When the new graphics cards come out I might even splurge for one of the new 34/35" curved widescreens that I've been seeing.

Thanks again for the feedback and thoughts everyone! --AnOldMan
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 3:24am

We're glad to help.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 6:05am
You are very welcome.
 Post Reply Post Reply