FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Build # 411881 was a monster in 2010!!

Post Date: 2020-04-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
serjio11 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote serjio11 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Build # 411881 was a monster in 2010!!
    Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 2:43am
Budget:
$2k - $2.5k

Expectations:
The usual Digital Storm master crafting!

Usage:
Gaming. 1440p, although I would like to maybe be able to just upgrade graphics card in the future to handle 4k as an option. Current gaming is mostly strategy: Total War Warhammer 2, Age of Wonders Planetfall, Steel Division 2, Pathfinder Kingmaker (sidenote: Turnbased mod made this game playable for me and now I'm loving it!) Back on track: MechWarrior 5, Outer Worlds, Red Dead sound fun. I presume someday maybe a Fallout 5 or Skyrim. Wish someone would make a game that would make me want to dust off my thrustmaster.. SSD for snappy load times would be nice.   

Special Needs:
So about 2 years ago I purchased a Geforce GTX1080 and plugged it in to squeak out a few more years of life. Worked great for awhile but my ram is to low/out of date and my HD is getting creaky. If I can get a system without a new GPU, to just use the one I have for awhile longer that would be great. Alternatively I could mail it to you at my risk or some such? I don't know, it just didn't seem like 2080 offered much of a boost to start over on GPU too. Am I wrong?

Saved Ticket #: 411881 Lol.. ;) My old/current rig. :)

Thanks in advance
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 4:39am
Aside form the dual GPUs, that looks a lot like my build from 2010.

Using your current 1080 is a fine idea considering the games you play, and the fact a new gen of Nvidia cards will be out before year-end. So here's a build without a GPU. I cut some of the extra entries for simplicity.

Here you go:

Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 3025554     
$2,266.00     $2,266.00

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)

Priority Build: - No Thanks, 6 Week Ship Estimate After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

This gets a $200 discount, so it comes in at $2066. It's not any way bare bones, but there seems to be room in your budget if you want to go a little wild.

You don't need more than the 9700K for gaming. It's just as fast as the 9900k without the extra heavy-lifting processing you don't use.

16GB of RAM is all you need, but it's not too pricey these days.

You could save on the new Seagate Firecuda for your primary drive. I tend to think the Samsung 970 PRO is a tad better, but performance-wise, there doesn't seem to be a lot difference from what I've seen. I gave you a SATA SSD for secondary storage. I don't recommend paying DS to install more because it's such a simple DIY. I love a small primary drive for all those annoying scans we have to run to keep things clean. They execute in seconds instead of minutes.

The LL fans are for enhanced case cooling are in the budget, can be controlled with Corsair iCue software you download yourself, and look really cool in that case.

The 9700K is meant to be overclocked, but I don't think the Stage 2 nets a lot for the money.

My take.
 Post Reply Post Reply