FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Build Advice...much-appreciated!

Post Date: 2020-12-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
newtothis View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote newtothis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Build Advice...much-appreciated!
    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 8:37am
Budget:
6-7k

Expectations:
Best gaming PC that I can get my hands on...

Usage:
Gaming/streaming/video editing, etc.

Special Needs:
[Please Type Here]

Saved Ticket #: [Please Type Here]

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Aventum X
Exterior Finish: Exotic Paint Finish - Storm Blue
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (12-Core) 4.8 GHz Turbo (BACKORDER ETA JANUARY)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (Wi-Fi) (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express) (ETA END OF DECEMBER)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Copper Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Clear Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Yellow - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects) (14 Fans Total)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: Corsair Commander PRO Management Control Board & Software (3x Boards)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 5 Year Limited Warranty (5 Year Labor & 3 Year Part Replacement)

A couple of notes:

1) I have 16gb DS RAM selected because DS doesn't offer any 3600/3800/4000 mhz and I am trying to hit the "sweet spot" so to speak, with frequency:infinity fabric (Ryzen stuff I guess). Most likely looking to upgrade here in an "after-market" purchase. I can be talked down from this ledge, however, lol. I just feel that if I am going this high-end luxury route, I might as well squeeze every last drop of performance that I can.

2) I really want the 3090; I have the 3080 here because of drastic cost reduction, but man it will pain me to get the latter.

3) I think the warranty I selected as of now is a bit much--but with a purchase like this, I'd rather error on the side of caution. Is there a sweet spot here in terms of warranty length?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 4:20am
I think with all the fans and a custom cooling loop, you may do well to get the 1000W power supply to be sure of all the overhead you want. I assume you have a drive or two you will migrate, but do you really want a mechanical drive in this rig? A 1TB 860 EVO SSD is $55. The larger ones are a bit pricy, and you would never tell the difference between an EVO and a PRO

I follow the reasoning on the RAM. Nvidia is to be out with a 3080Ti fairly soon that may fit snugly in between the two cards you are debating over.

IDK for sure, but I think the DS lighting may well outclass the inexpensive LED strip that comes free. I'm sure the interiors that are lit up in the pictures are DS lighting.

This is truly going to be a beast of a rig. The one thing that always gives me pause when I see a luxury build like this is that a $3000 rig will outclass it in little more than a year. That's not to discourage you, it's just a fact of nature. On the plus side of that equation is that you are selecting parts that would have cost much more and still fallen short of the performance you will get from this just a very short time ago. For example, because it's a single card, and sidesteps all the problems that arise from SLI, the 3080 Ti may well surpass 2x 2080Tis that would have been top-end just 4-5 months ago. At less than half the cost.

On the warranty issue, it's really whatever makes you comfortable. The adage that applies here is one that has been standard for a very long time in electronics. The number of parts that last an entire year and then fail soon after falls off a cliff statistically. One year of steady performance usually means the part is going to go the distance. I ran my last DS pretty much 24/7 with all original parts for almost 8 years. The only failure was a 220mm fan on the side of the case. The other issue here is that you would not be likely to ever ship back an Aventum for repair. Shipped on a pallet and weighing well over a hundred pounds.

Hope it helps.
newtothis View Drop Down

Quote newtothis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Cretae

Thank you, it really does help.

On the PSU choice, I really didn't take into the account all of the "other stuff" that the PSU would be powering, was just making my decision based on what NVIDIA recommends for GPU (750W), with a little upward margin. Didn't quite think about the fact that it would be in an Aventum X (the largest case I've seen amongst all competitors), and that it would be powering a LOT MORE when you think about it. That's quite the oversight on my part, and you possibly saved me (though I think DS techs would have contacted me on this when they started going over the specs for the build and strongly recommended your option, lol).

I don't have a drive to migrate, the mechanical drive option was behind the thought process that for stagnant storage (files/data I don't readily need/use), I wouldn't really care about the speed in that it operates. With a machine like this, you are probably right, $55-100 for a SSD of the same capacity isn't going to be much of a thought, but I admittedly migrated my thoughts for an "inexpensive" gaming build (cutting unnecessary costs) on a luxury build. Kind of asinine when you think about it, lol.

The Samsung 980 Pro is just to say I have the "fastest" NVME in the world. It's obviously staggeringly faster than any other NVME I've seen, but not quite sure gaming/streaming/light editing would really utilize its advantages that something used to render/model/deep calc/etc. would demand. It's just to say "I've got the best." Nothing more.

The free (at least it was, I haven't ordered the config yet, l so the special holiday offers are gone I think) LED strip was all that I saw in the lighting options, thought I could have overlooked that.

The 3090 is again, to say, "I've got the best." I try to justify it further by saying that it will future proof my system, that I can take on 8k gaming capabilities, etc., but tbh, the monitor that it would take to really fully utilize 8k (or anything close to that) would run me another $1k I think, at least.

That's the thing with tech, it's always evolving--you either take the "bleeding edge" build for a very high premium, remain on top for ~6 months or so, and stay viable for years I assume (though no one gets a bleeding edge build to stay merely relevant), or you take the "next step down" build that performs within 5-10% of that bleeding edge for half/60% of that cost. That's the thing with gaming PCs/culture, it really is a "machine" that nags at your impulsive tendencies like no other--the industry certainly knows how to speak to your non-logical self, and knows how to well. In literally no other area of my life am I willing to invest almost 60-75% of the down payment of a house, the full-value of a used car, etc.....yet, for an Aventum X--take all of my money....hah! I'll try to be more reasonable with my build and cut the cost down some. Thanks for the insight!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 5:51pm
You have answered wisely, young Padawan.    (I'm 72. You're almost bound to be "young" to me! )

What I mean is you seem to have a solid grasp on what you are doing and why. I don't object to the best for the sake of having... the best. Often though, we find some folks just have no idea what they want or why, and they end up throwing money around, thinking that'll do the trick. I like to be sure people looking for advice understand the basics of parts being purpose-driven first. If that purpose is simply to have the fastest or the best, that's okay as long as we establish that's what we're after as you have. Computer parts have come so far from where they were just 5 years ago, that the top-end parts are no longer necessary just for basic performance at certain levels. After 40 years, the parts have finally overtaken the game designs they have been chasing for all that time.

You have a fine grasp of what pursuing your personal performance level means to you, and that's the most important thing, I think. It's kinda "my job" to persuade some folks not to get 64GB of RAM, a Ryzen 9 5950X and an RTX 3080 to play Tetris on a 720p monitor.

The free Internal Lighting has been free for at least 3 years. 5K monitors can be had around $1k and up. 8k MONITORS are running around $4000, but I'm sure they'll come down some.

Good chat.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 1:02am
Very nice system and should last you performing tops for a while. Cannot overstate that the RAM,  while very adequate, is starting to be "suggested" in some new games and quite low for some programs. Going hypersonic while cruising at high speed is really only noticed in really complex programs and there you are short on space.
Enjoy and keep us posted. Smile
newtothis View Drop Down

Quote newtothis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by hoserator

Very nice system and should last you performing tops for a while. Cannot overstate that the RAM,  while very adequate, is starting to be "suggested" in some new games and quite low for some programs. Going hypersonic while cruising at high speed is really only noticed in really complex programs and there you are short on space.
Enjoy and keep us posted. Smile

Right. Plan was for around 32gb -- 16gb for gaming is probably more than adequate, and the extra 16 is somewhat future proofing and for extra use in non-gaming/streaming application. Most of my non-gaming use would primarily be light video editing, but I've taken a novice interest in some other cpu/ram intensive stuff as of recent, so trying to be prepared for "dipping my toe in the shallow end" of that proverbial swimming pool.

Now, that being said -- based on very limited research, I'm reading that the ryzen 5000 chips and their Infinity fabric / clock speeds are optimized best for 4000mhz ram speeds. I didn't see that high-end of an offering when customizing the Aventum X, so I decided to strip the build down to the cheapest subset of ram included, as I would likely just be replacing whatever DS put in there with aftermarket ram myself.

Make sense, or did I interpret your comment inaccurately?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 4:21am
It makes perfect sense to me, given the performance level you are reaching for. Good research gets you smart decisions.

-Hose, your take?
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 8:52am
@Create: are you kidding? You are the master here in the forums. Big%20Smile

To the OP:
You have it thought out.
As to adequate, MS FS 2020's Ideal Spec is a whopping 32GB so...
I'd go for 64GB. MY son has that and falls short on RAM intensive programs.
That will be a beast!!! Strong

Edited by hoserator - 02 Jan 2021 at 8:52am
 Post Reply Post Reply