FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

build advice need please for all purpose pc

Post Date: 2011-05-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zanthia View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote zanthia Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: build advice need please for all purpose pc
    Posted: 03 May 2011 at 6:52pm

I am a middle age female in need of an all purpose PC, I am not very tech savvy nor do I know anyone  who is . My current PC is a core 2 duo e6550, 2 gig ram and  ati 4850 video card   on win xp. I can hardly play games on it for quite a while ( have a feeling it may be due to power supply but don’t want to put any more  money into this pc) and developed a new hobby on the pc. Now even that is having way too many slowdowns. I have done very little gaming over the past 2-3 years except for some adventure games and really would like to get back to doing it as I do miss it. The last good gaming pc I bought was 10 years ago and that was an alienware. My current pc is a low end one even went I first got it and I am tired of low end pcs and want something good.

Budget: about 2000 before shipping but there is some room here

This is just for the PC that I get from DS

I have a Logitech mx 518 mouse, current keyboard is very basic but that can wait . In near future would like to get a new monitor.

Usage:

Gaming : I will be playing mainly single player rpgs  such as fallout, witcher, dragon age and any new ones coming out.  On my current pc I cannot even play old rpgs like neverwinter nights 2.  if time permits I will do some action and action adventure games such as bioshock and half life . I have zero interest in any online playing

Photoshop – my new hobby done purely for fun.

Web surfing

Special needs

A pc that is quite and cool is important as I am sensitive to noise and extreme heat( last year when the 470 card was out I would never have bought based on all the talk about them being hot and loud)

One that doesn’t collect too much dust – have dogs that shed a lot

the more storage the better – one can never have enough hard drive space.

I do not know how to overclock so any overclocking done by DS would be wanted.

Expectations

I would like the pc to last several years but don’t expect the graphic card to last that long.

I would like to be able to play current and new rpgs at high resolution with most if not all graphic options turned on. Ideally that would be for 2 years with the video card I get.

I am not interested in doing SLI

I don’t know anything about how to run 2 monitors on one pc but that is something that I would be interested in doing – can this be done on one card. Do the monitors have to be the same size?

Current monitor is 22 inch viewsonic – 1680x1050

If I was to get a new monitor ideally it would be a 27-28 inch one at 1920x1200 but they seemed to stop making those so it has to be a 1920x1080 .

I have tried to so some research on parts but being out of the loop for so many years it was quite hard.

Processor – 2500vs 2600  It seems like for gaming those two are similar but  for photoshop the 2600 is better –is that correct?  But is it worth the increased cost?

Motherboard – I know nothing about how they vary. I know some are good for sli but other than that whats the difference. How is the built in sound these days?

Video card – is it worth paying the extra money for the evga over clocked card. Current trend of thought is either the 560 or 570 card. I do not over clock.

Hard drive

Is the 64 cache of the western digital worth paying extra for.

Ssd drive – would like to get one now if possible as that would be so much easier than having to reinstall operating system by buying one later. Can it hold windows, photoshop , photoshope elements, paint shop pro, and one large game

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2011 at 11:31pm
I'm gonna give you advise as if you were my sister:

Some of the things you want are not possible with your budget, nor would I recommend them to somebody like yourself with little pc knowledge, let me explain:

90% of your sound comes from the gpu's fan when under load, there is no gpu that is quiet when its fan is at 80 - 100%, and there is nothing that can be done about making it quiet other then putting it under liquid cooling, your budget does not allow it, and even if it did, if something went wrong with the gpu, you would have to pay shipping (back and forth) to ship the whole pc back to DS cause you don't know what to do with it, this can be costly.

so there goes the noise issue. As far as pets go, there is nothing you can do to keep dust and pet hair out of the case, I can recommend filters for the fans, closed cases, but closed cases don't have great airflow/temps.

in short its best to just clean the pc once a week, if you do it that often, there will barely be anything in there and it will literally take 2 minutes, you can use filters on the fans to help a bit.

running 2 monitors is very easy, we can show you, all you need is one card and the monitors can be different.

now as far at getting a 27" monitor, when shopping for monitor the most single important thing is its panel, that decide the picture quality/clarity, right now there are mainly 2 kinds on the market, TN and IPS, TN is the lowend version, IPS is the king, to get a 27" IPS panel, it will cost you $1000, if you have the budget let me know, if not I suggest you get a 24" or 23" IPS panel, cost more then TN panel but well worth it.

here is an older model 24" IPS and the newer model 23" IPS panels:

Dell UltraSharp U2410

Dell UltraSharp U2311H 23

the 24" is 1900 x 1200, the 23" is 1900 x 1080.

the 2600K is a much better choice now and in the future, the reviews don't mimic our use, the reviews are done with just that one app, on our pc we have other things running which will make a difference if you have 2500k or 2600k, in short for our use now and in the future where app/games take more advantage of cores/threads, the 2600K will do much better.

Motherboard now in days is mainly to do with sli and etc, nothing for you to worry about if you don't want sli and super high oc.

no need to get oced version of gpu (video card).

HDD, the extra you pay for the 1TB black caviar is for its speeds, not the cache.

SSD, to add a ssd yourself, there is no need to reinstall, you just clone the current drive to the ssd, that way you move teh os/apps/games/everything in one shot. you can follow my clone guide here

Here you go Ticket# 534951 --- $2110 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - HAF 922
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 (Intel P67 Chipset) (New B3 Revision) (Does Not Support SLI)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series SSDSA2CW120G3K5)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1002FAEX)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Ask DS specifically for this fan to be added to the side4 so you endup with 3 x 200mm fans:

haf 200mm non led fan

this system can't do sli, but will do great at 1900 x 1200.

Its a bit over the budget but the ssd and the 1TB BC hdd put us over.

If you live in the DC/MD/VA area, I would be more then happy to drop by and help with pc problems should it give any trouble, seeing how you don't know anybody that knows about pcs.

Edited by DST4ME - 03 May 2011 at 11:36pm
zanthia View Drop Down

Quote zanthia Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2011 at 3:19pm
thank u for suggested build. I am fine with the cost.

why do you suggest getting the extra fan and how much does it cost?

is it worth paying a bit more and getting the 932 case

why do u say not to get an overclocked video card. Is it not worth it? I won't overclock myself. should i  just let DS do it than even if it is very little.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2011 at 2:07am
on this case teh extra fan I mentioned, (not the fan upgrade in teh config section), sits over the gpu and provides more airflow to the gpu and case, it will make the case perform at its best (how its meant to be).

if you click on the link I provided for the fan, its like $15, and DS should charge you very little to put in on, total I'm assuming something like $25 parts/labor just make sure you tell them you want the power connector that the fan connects to, to be left out and ready for you to connect.

for a single card no point in going with the 932.

you have no need for the oced gpu, it provides very little difference, and in my experience they tend to go bad sooner, the oc DS does on the gpus here, is very mild and unnoticeable.
zanthia View Drop Down

Quote zanthia Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2011 at 9:37pm
will this case give me more than enough room to add extra hard drives  a second dvd drive and perhaps a sound card.

also i will need to get a card reader. i see it says that it removes 2 usb ports.  why is that. If i get my own card reader , will that happen too. I suppose i could just get an external card reader - have always had internal ones in the  past.

regarding sound cards - how is the onboard sound these days. I have a creative labs card in my current pc but don't know if that would work on a Windows 7 pc. if it did I would have my husband move it over to this pc.

Edited by zanthia - 05 May 2011 at 9:39pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2011 at 12:47am
the 922 fits 5 hdds and 5 media drives internally, any of the media bays can also be converted to hdd bays, most use 2 media drives, so that way, you actually have room for 8 hdds.

the sound card is no issue.

teh front ports get messeup due to usb headers on the mobo, check with DS specifically to see if that is an issue for this board.

I'm no sound expert, but the experts say if sound quality is important to you or you use quality headphones, a sound card is what you want, otherwise the on-board now in days is pretty decent.

check with creative and see if that sound card has drivers for win7 if it does then you can move it to the new rig.
zanthia View Drop Down

Quote zanthia Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2011 at 4:34pm
 i just spoke to a sales rep and he said that the fan u mentioned to add was not available for the HAF 922 case

also he suggested that to upgrade to the intel 510 series SSD if i could swing it. He said it was nearly twice as fast as the intel 320 series. whats your opinion on that?

one other thing he recommended doing was doing the free OS boost to disable nonessential services. Do you believe this is a good idea
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2011 at 5:02pm
I'm not sure who you spoke to,but they are wrong, most of our uses are on the 4k size and at that size the 320 is actually better and it has the proven controller.

also what does that mean that "the fan u mentioned to add was not available for the HAF 922 case"?

what does that mean? cause the haf 922 does have a spot for a third 200mm fan on the side and this fan is the one that goes for it:

haf 200mm non led fan

so did they mean they don't have it? if yes then so what, they just order it from CM.

I don't believe the os boost is good idea, it makes no difference in apps/games speeds, this was useful in the old days of xp with 1GB of ram.
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2011 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by zanthia

also he suggested that to upgrade to the intel 510 series SSD if i could swing it. He said it was nearly twice as fast as the intel 320 series. whats your opinion on that?

Well for a quick copy/paste of what I was just saying in another thread:
Originally posted by Dragoonseal

High sequential speeds are nice to have, but they don't come into play remotely as often as small file 4k speeds. Even HDDs can do 150MB/s sequential, there's nothing impressive about that, a SSD doesn't load everything 10-50 times faster because it can do 250MB/s sequential speeds, that's only a 100MB/s difference. They load everything 10-50 times faster because they have 50-100 times faster small file 4k speeds.

That said, the Intel 510s are by no means terrible or anything, and if your workloads are unusually sequential in nature for some reason then you can take better advantage of that strong point of 510s, but for the majority of normal desktop usage the 4k speeds are going to be coming into play more and that's definitely a weak spot on the 510s. Mind you they're still vaaastly faster than conventional HDDs on 4k speeds, so don't think a SSD isn't completely worth the price over a HDD, but I don't see any sense in paying the high premium prices for the 510 series when there is the 320 series sitting there at much nicer price points, have better 4k speeds, and have the time proven reliable Intel controller.

Originally posted by zanthia

one other thing he recommended doing was doing the free OS boost to disable nonessential services. Do you believe this is a good idea

I never liked the free OS boost, I always recommend against it. There is no performance gain to be had, the small changes made aren't even going to be a blip on the radar of these overclocked CPUs of today. Mostly what they disable are the nice looking optional things, like animated window minimizing/restoring and Windows Aero features and such. You could miss out on nice looking or helpful features, I would recommend you just tweak the OS to your liking instead, it's very easy.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
zanthia View Drop Down

Quote zanthia Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2011 at 5:31pm
I don't understand what you mean about 4k size. as far as SSD drives go. the rep I spoke to was comparing the 120 GB size for the 320 series vs the 510 series. I would rather not spend the extra money
i did look at reviews and saw mention of using a non intel controller for the 510 and many were not happy about that but i did not really understand what that meant as i don't know what the controller does as that is above my tech knowledge.

in regards to the fan, he said it was only available for the HAF X case not the 922 case. So according to him if i get the 922 case I can't get the extra fan that you recommended.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2011 at 5:55pm
He/she is wrong:

the regular 922 as you see above has the option for the 200mm on the side, the 922 blue version does not.

you can find above info here

Edited by DST4ME - 11 May 2011 at 5:57pm
zanthia View Drop Down

Quote zanthia Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 May 2011 at 4:03pm

pc was ordered  have a couple of questions - requested the fan and went with the series 320 SSD

i did ask for the extra fan however when i received my invoice that listed everything and cost - the fan was not included.  do i need to call back and check on this?

second thing is case - i got the coolermaster haf 922. i went to frys yesterday and saw the case. i also saw the 932 advanced case. this one has front USB 3 ports whereas the 922 only had usb 2 ports and only 2 ports whereas the 932 had 4 USB 2 ports besides the USB 3 ports.  i do want to get a regular external and portable external with USB 3. I would have though any current case would have USB 3 support. While i still can is it worth upgrading for the USB ports. At frys it cost around 40-50 to buy it for a front slot on case.

Edited by zanthia - 16 May 2011 at 4:03pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 May 2011 at 5:31pm
Well keep in mind that your mobo will give you bunch of usb 3.0 in the back and you can use those, you also have to check with DS and see if the mobo has enough headers to power all those front ports.

as for that fan, I like to always double check, when you get it, its too late to ask, so ask and clear things up before it leaves.
 Post Reply Post Reply