FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Build for: Gaming/Multitasking/3D-Design/BluRay...

Post Date: 2010-07-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Memento Mori View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Memento Mori Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Build for: Gaming/Multitasking/3D-Design/BluRay...
    Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 8:36pm
Hey guys! I'm coming from a nightmarish and an awful rip-off experience that I received with Dalienware Corp. and hoping to never do business with them ever again!  So, I've been researching a bit about different boutique desktop builders like Falcon-Northwest and ******** and decided to try Digital Storm as it seems like the best one of them all. IMHO. 

So I pre-build a config and called Sara from DS Sales Team (really smart and knowledgeable lady). She helped me with mostly all my Tech Questions but she also recommended me to post this config and ask you guys for some more assistance and a second opinion on some difficult ones.

I'm hoping that someone would shed some light on the tricky Questions and give me some recommendations. Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated. I thank all you guys in advance! Smile

>So my saved up budget is $7500.

>I'm using this High-End Desktop for:

A) Gaming on: 2560x1440 WQHD Monitor.
B) Multitasking with Firefox, while gaming, on 1200p Secondary Monitor.
C) I'm an artist so I use: Graphic/3d-Design/Creation/Scanning/Digitizing/3d-Rendering programs like... Maya/3dsMax, Z-Brush, Photoshop CS5 and such. So I need a Multi-Core, quick & powerful rendering CPU.
D) Watching/Ripping Blu-Ray Disks w/ 7.1ch, 1:1 quality.
E) And Live Streaming BD quality media through-out my home with the least Lag/Latency possible (I have 50/10mb Fiber with 8-10ms ping).

>I like to play every fun and competitive AAA type of game from: GOW 2 to Elder Scrolls: Oblivion ((Swords 'N Shields w/Move&Kennect for PC&Consoles anyone?Drooling))  and everything else in between but I am coming from Xbox360 & PS3 consoles and just getting into PC games; oh and I'm planning to play on 100% Maxed Settings in WQHD thou.

>Monitor size is: "2560x1440 (WQHD)"-"Dell U2711" & "1200p"-"Dell 2405FPW".

>MY BUILD:  http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=422710

>MY QUESTIONS are:
1) What does the Disabling&Tweaking Service actually does in practice and is it any good and what specific things does DS remove and disable in Windows 7 Ult OS?  Also, if its worth Tweaking from Factory... does it come pre-loaded on the DS Recovery DVD Image or not?
2) Corsair Dominator DHX or Digital Storm No-Name RAM sticks for 12gb 1600Htz for best Performance/Latency?
3) I have not bought the Dell U2711 monitor yet but am about to, so I wonder if you guys can please recommend me any better monitors for Gaming and Image Quality as I'm coming off of: Pioneer Elite PRO-111FD 50" Plasma (as my gaming and BluRay HDTV)???
4) How to maintain the: H2O Stage 6 LCS? As I have never used Liquid Cooling before?!
5) If you guys have purchased: Lian Li P80b Chassis... Please tell me if that Outer Side Bracket for GPU support is any good enough for Shipping from Cali to Illinois? And should I get the Fastest Shipping in a Wooden Box or not?
6) How good is the Warranty for 5 Years? (Sara said its actually 3 years "Parts" and 5 years "Labor" I think).
7) Do I even Need UV-Lamp-Reactive-Lightning in a fully Enclosed Case btw?
8) That Noise Suppression Package... is it worth it or is it not safe and dangerous as I have heard (in relation to blocking the aluminum case heat dissipation)?
That is it I think! Smile Thank you guys again, I hope this D.S. Boutique is worth it!!!
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 8:42pm
Damn....$7500 budget. FUN TIME!

1) Not sure about what exactly they do, but all settings related to software should be on the recovery image.
2) "DS Certified" RAM is still brand-name actually, and according to Alex, the difference from Corsair RAM isn't much.
3) Monitors aren't my thang
4) To maintain LC, you just need to occasionally top off the liquid. Not that hard.
5) Crates is insurance against UPS. It forces them to hand-carry it, and not kick it off the car of anything, seriously!
6) Warranty is great. But yeah, I think it's 5 yrs Labor coverage, and 3 yrs for defective part warranty.
7) The lighting is for if you have a side window in most cases, it makes the tubes for LC glow.
8) Noise suppression turns your case into a thermos, lol. If you want quietness, pick out some fans and ask them to swap em in.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz

Quote Memento Mori Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 9:17pm
Oh my gush!  I never thought about this Wooden Crates as Insurance against those UPS douche-bags like that before! I'm definitely going to get me a Wooden Crate now. Thanks!Cool

And I especially don't need no thermoses behemoths haha. So, NO noise suppression gimmicks for me, yay!  I actually did suspect it and read it somewhere before, so good thing you confirmed it.
Thank you Ablahblah !!
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Memento Mori

1) What does the Disabling&Tweaking Service actually does in practice and is it any good and what specific things does DS remove and disable in Windows 7 Ult OS?  Also, if its worth Tweaking from Factory... does it come pre-loaded on the DS Recovery DVD Image or not?

Drop the free OS tweak. The disabled services or visual effects are barely even a blip on the radar of an overclocked Core i7 processor and you can easily miss out on helpful or nice looking things by disabling them. Better to just tweak the OS to your preferences on your own.

2) Corsair Dominator DHX or Digital Storm No-Name RAM sticks for 12gb 1600Htz for best Performance/Latency?

The Dominator DHX may have slightly better timings, but not enough to warrant the extra +$242. The "No-Name" DS Certified memory is pre-tested Mushkin, Kingston, or Super Talent brand, and is an excellent value.

4) How to maintain the: H2O Stage 6 LCS? As I have never used Liquid Cooling before?!

I counter your question with a better question. Why bother liquid cooling at all?

Video cards cool themselves just fine with no aftermarket additions needed and there are some very excellent and capable CPU air coolers that will easily reach 4GHz to 4.2GHz with little fuss. LCing is more or less a waste of money, not enough gains to be had.

However your budget is unusually high, so I wouldn't scold you too much if you wanted to pick the Stage 3 or 4 LCing for CPU only, to push the 980X a little farther up to 4.4GHz. But again, either of the Noctua air coolers would easily get one to 4.2GHz, so eh.

5) If you guys have purchased: Lian Li P80b Chassis... Please tell me if that Outer Side Bracket for GPU support is any good enough for Shipping from Cali to Illinois? And should I get the Fastest Shipping in a Wooden Box or not?

Again I counter with a better question, why the Lian Li?

It's unnecessarily large for your needs and ridiculously overpriced. Save a whopping $327 (!!!) and get a HAF 932 or HAF 942. Both the HAFs are extremely large and offer much better air flow for a fraction of the price. The 942 also has a GPU holder give heavy GPUs extra support, since you mentioned that as a concern.

6) How good is the Warranty for 5 Years? (Sara said its actually 3 years "Parts" and 5 years "Labor" I think).

The 5 year limited warranty is 5 years for labor (they will do any upgrades or replacements for free, no labor fee) and 3 years for parts (part breaks, they replace it for free). For only +$199 it is certainly a great deal for the extra two years of parts warranty, especially on such an expensive rig.

8) That Noise Suppression Package... is it worth it or is it not safe and dangerous as I have heard (in relation to blocking the aluminum case heat dissipation)?

As long as you don't choose upgraded chassis fans the rig should pretty darn quiet by itself anyway, so the Noise Suppression Package is unnecessary and possibly detrimental to temperatures.

You didn't specifically ask any questions about it, but I warn against that video card selection. You most definitely don't want to be using two 5970s. They're terribly overpriced to start with but also ATI's quad-scaling is really terrible so they won't perform too great. And that's also a very overkill amount of power for even a 2560x1440 monitor anyway. Go with dual SLI GTX 480s. Along with that you can also scale the PSU back down to a 1200w or 1250w.

The Killer 2100 NIC is just a big fat waste of money, it is not going to help at all. If you want better internet speed you just have to pay your ISP more money for a better connection or switch to a better ISP. It isn't going to help with home networking speeds either.

The only thing Windows 7 Ultimate offers that Professional doesn't is multilingual support and encryption software. The only thing that Professional offers that Home Premium doesn't is access to XP Mode. I doubt you have any use for Ultimate's features, and if you don't think you'll need XP Mode either then drop down to Home Premium.

Anyway, use this as a baseline:

Ticket #423546, Price: $5065

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 3.33GHz (Hexa-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1250W Enermax Galaxy EVO (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (2TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Writer/Reader (Burn Blu-Ray discs and play them)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 5 Year Limited Warranty

OS/apps and some games on the SSD, rest of the games/music/movies/media on the HDD. Others on the forum might give advise you against a RAID0 setup, but I say go for it if you want to. Just keep in mind that small file speeds won't benefit as much (only under heavy multi tasking or trying to access or write a large number of them at once), mostly only sequential speeds will see large gains.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)

Quote Memento Mori Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 12:55am
Thank you so much Dragoonseal, I really appreciate your help and advice. I'm going to customize my build, as you said, a bit more; as some changes won't work for me thou...

That HAF X 942 Chassis or pretty much all of the other Chassis won't fit into my Computer Desk as its going to be a tight fit from left and right (under 10" width) and theirfore all those HUJ SIDE FANS won't even suck in any air. Cry I do have plenty of room from the Back&Front&Top&Bottom, so no choice but the Lian Li unfortunatelly for me.

Also, I have my own SSD disks (OWC Mercury Extreme RE 256gb) in RAID 0... therefore I would immediately upon receiving my desktop (inb4 checking for defects, resitting components) swap them in for the Intel's backup SSD's. So that D.S. Resource DVD is a must for me.

That LC System... well I got no choice but to use it for GPU's and CPU's because I'm never going to get used to the GPU Fans speeding up and slowing down as I had experienced with my previous desktop for years guh! Crazy

Thanks for clarifying about those OS tweaks... I'm deff not gonna need them and do it myself. Plus I like the mix of graphical and practical eye candy. Smile

Thanks for clarifying about the RAM guys... $242 saved, yay!

Ohh so I'm not sure what to do now about GPU's! All I keep hearing is that Nvidia SLI 480's eat up much more Power under heavy loads and get way hotter then dual 5970?
I'm probly not gonna keep the standard fans/heatsinks as I mensioned above for noise reasons, but if I did kept it, some people also supposedly say the 480's make more noise as well as an outcome? Can someone confirm this 3 negatives please?
And CPU Heat sink from my old Desktop was a pain in the a** to clean up, I damaged the fins a bit too, so I think I have no choice but to get away from Air Cooling all together... but LCS is so pricey guhh! What to do? \(O.o)/

Thank you, thou, for the other recommendations, Dragoonseal, and Ablahblah I'ma utilize them to save me some $.  You guys are the best, thanks!

Oh and BTW can anyone chime in on those gigantic monitors and what are your favorite ones for Gaming and HDR spectrum pallet for Photoshop and the LEAST Input Lag+Pixel Response Time?? Thanks.
Runes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Runes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 1:18am

Oh and BTW can anyone chime in on those gigantic monitors and what are your favorite ones for Gaming and HDR spectrum pallet for Photoshop and the LEAST Input Lag+Pixel Response Time?? Thanks.

If you buy a television and use it as a monitor, you'll have a laggy display (when I'm looking for monitors I look for 2ms, and, iirc, most tvs are in the hundreds). I recommend against getting a tv for a monitor for that reason.

Quote Memento Mori Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 1:49am
Ohh no, you misunderstood me, I was referring to the 24"-27" Flat Panels and those WQHD resolutions as bigger then usual for the PC's lol Even thou I do have a 50" Pioneer Plasma, which has absolutely no visible input lag and such, especially in Game Mode... but it is only for my consoles to utilize so ehh Disappointed

I just wish that all those Gimmicky 120Hz 'Game Monitors' would catch up with the new tech like OLED's and TrueHDR panels and whatever else they are cooking up for CES 2011 guh! Even this Asus VG236H and PG276 120Hz Game Screens are supposed to be the best to come this summer, yet already they are getting mediocre reviews for its primitive TN panels and messed up RTC Overshoots where the RTC impulse is not controlled accurately and leaves reversed colors' ghosting, which make the advertised 2ms or even this new "Viewsonic VX2739wm" "1millisecond" screens a really cheap gimmick.  Confused%20Wink
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 1:57am

Ohh so I'm not sure what to do now about GPU's! All I keep hearing is that Nvidia SLI 480's eat up much more Power under heavy loads and get way hotter then dual 5970?
I'm probly not gonna keep the standard fans/heatsinks as I mensioned above for noise reasons, but if I did kept it, some people also supposedly say the 480's make more noise as well as an outcome? Can someone confirm this 3 negatives please?

No don't worry about it, the 480 heat/power/noise levels have be blown way out of proportion. They're definitely not very bad for its high level of GPU power. I just seen a recent compendium of heat/power/noise levels you can check for comparisons.

For reference Lilim's stock 480 in a stock HAF 932 idles at 32°C at 50% fan speed and reaches a max of 79°C at 79% fan speed. Hahaha

Also keep in mind if you do end up LCing them then heat and noise levels are no longer an issue. As for power wise, based on the national average kilowatt per hour price the difference between a 480 and a 5870 is only gonna be like $1 a month. You would need a larger PSU to support dual 480s though, a 1200w or 1250w, whereas you could probably manage dual 5870s on a good 1000w. Not sure what kind of PSU you'd need for dual 5970s, but again those are badly overpriced and ATI quad-scaling is terrible so stay away from those anyway.

And CPU Heat sink from my old Desktop was a pain in the a** to clean up, I damaged the fins a bit too, so I think I have no choice but to get away from Air Cooling all together... but LCS is so pricey guhh! What to do? \(O.o)/

You'll still have to take some canned air to the PC to dust it every now and then, even with LCing. Sad
Lilim

Quote Memento Mori Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 2:13am
Aight man, so... LC'ed 480's in SLI with 1200w PSU is a pretty good price to performance value, right?

Oh! almost forgot!!! What about RAM "Air fan kit cooling" or Asus MotherBoard LCing??
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 2:30am

Aight man, so... LC'ed 480's in SLI with 1200w PSU is a pretty good price to performance value, right?

For that resolution dual SLI 480s is a great price to performance value. But add in LCing and you throw price to performance ratios out the window. Hahaha

Oh! almost forgot!!! What about RAM "Air fan kit cooling" or Asus MotherBoard LCing??

You can add the memory fan kit if you want, it's only $35, but neither is necessary. Definitely don't bother LCing the motherboard, the Rampage III already has great passive heatsinks that hold up to even extreme overclocking.
Lilim
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 4:27am
Screw mobo cooling, unless you're in the ridiculously high overclock region, which you're not, lol. And yeah, dual 480s will be required in order to run that resolution well.
OR, if you wanna consider an alternative, you can try to special order a dual Asus ARES 5870 config and have them overclocked as well. The Asus ARES 5870 is somewhat LIKE a 5970, but unlike it, it's not underclocked. It's running at a full, damn 800mhz clock rate out of the box, literally two 5870 GPUs on a single slot unrestrained. And overclocking them, my gawd, did I mention one guy managed to hit +1000Mhz of an overclock right out of the BOX using the built-IN overclocking utility?! Imagine two of those monsters in CrossFire... (Yeah, it DOES actually have a crossfire slot. Yep. Man. LOL. According to techPowerUp, Crossfire really benefits this card at your large 2560x1600 res, 26%!) Fun! (Note, I dunno whether 5970 blocks will work with it or not. TechPowerUp says something about watercooling, but really, I don't know what will work for it. Inquire, maybe the 5970 blocks DO work with it. Otherwise, prepare for a world of 70dBa load noise, lol. Even so, it IS some damn kickass firepower, I think rivals maybe even quad 480s...). Dunno, IMO, for this price range, a ARES CrossFire seems reasonable.

Also, beware that RAM cooling is really, really, loud. Another thing is that the Killer NIC's WILL speed up your computer...but in this area of high-end PCs, the "boost" is completely irrelevant. Bigfoot Networks believes that by using the Killer NIC to take off network processing loads from the CPU, they can boost performance. For lower end systems without that much CPU resources, it might help because the CPU's already very busy doing other things. But in this realm of PC's, the CPU's already so fast at doing things anyways that the load the NIC takes off would make it completely irrelevant. You get what I'm saying? o_o

Lastly, you can just ship those dual other world computing SSDs to DS, and have them install windows/stress test em with the system. Otherwise, installing the OS yourself on them will render your SSDs, OS, and data out of warranty.

And you know, just one random thing out of line that I noticed while building an example build for this guy...since when could you 4-way 480s...???

Obviously, with a $7.5K budget, you wanna splurge on everything, so 'ere's my suggestion...The Asus ARES CrossFire config is completely your choice though, dual 480s will do fine I think. But still, overclocked ARES cards, damn...that's just the most freaking powerful thing I can think of at the moment...Somewhat loud, will take up 6 total slots, but still...that's just crazy nutsy RAW power right there...It's gonna be somewhat custom though, there's some notes you need to leave if you plan on ordering it.

Build 423651, Incomplete, Refer to Notes at Bottom

Final Price - $6900~$7100

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - SilverStone Raven One
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: Paint Chassis Vents and Grills (White)
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 3.33GHz (Hexa-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1500W Silverstone (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: - No Thanks
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD2001FASS)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Optical Drive 2: Blu-Ray Writer/Reader (Burn Blu-Ray discs and play them)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5870 4GB (Asus ARES Unlimited Power Edition) (Two 5870 GPUs Integrated)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 4: Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System: CPU Only
H20 Tube Color:White Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect for H20 Tubes)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 3: Overclock the processor between 4.2GHz to 4.4GHz (Requires i7 980X Processor)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Notes To Add
- Will supply two Solid State Drives for the Operating System, please contact for details and shipping arrangements.
- Please add a second Asus ARES 5870 x2 graphics card in CrossFire and overclock as well. I understand there will be a $1300 price increase.
- Drill a 120mm fan blow-hole in the side panel for case intake.
-Replace 180mm Fans with Silverstone AP181 Fans. Radiator Preferred Fans are Silverstone AP121 fans, undervolted to 7v. (AP181 fans give much much more forceful airflow in the interior, AP121 fans undervolted to 7v will be both quiet and powerful, theoretically. If you doubt AP121's, by all means, go with the Gentle Typhoons)

(- Why did I go with the Raven 1 case, you're probably wondering, right? For this build specifically, ARES cards are freaking heavy. To discourage any shipping motherboard damage, as you MAY have seen with DST4ME's quad GTX 295 build, the vertical mounting design of the case prevents any conventional PCI-E slot fractures. In addition, unlike the Raven 2 or Assassin, it supports a really practical way of mounting a dual fan radiator externally. The Raven 2/Assassin mounts a dual rad internally on the airflow fans, so it's pretty stupid IMO since the ambient temperature will be horrible.... In addition, I added a note to put in another blow-hole for a fan, I know they can do it because they've done it with my own case.
-
BEFORE you mention it! NO, the HAF X's GPU supports will NOT hold up these ARES cards! It's a custom 3-slot cooler, not 2-slot reference, so the GPU bracket won't fit!
-Also, this SHOULD mount correctly! The ARES cards are three slots long, yeah, and if you check out the Rampage III Extreme, it should have enough room to fit two of em and a PCI-Ex4 card, namely, a PCI-Ex1 Creative sound card
-Had to double check everything to make sure this build would even be theoretically possible, heh. It's literally pushing the boundaries of modern computing. Dual ARES will eat up 900w, maybe even 1000w right there, and an overclocked 980X on a classified, who knows how much that'll go. Pretty sure that 1500w SS PSU will eat all of it up, but it's still a big taxing PSU load.)

Edited by ablahblah - 20 Jul 2010 at 7:22am
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz

Quote Memento Mori Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 7:41am
OMG you're a genius man! I'm so gonna go with the ASUS ARES 5870 Dual Cards 8gb GDDR5 Total VRAM (or am I wrong O.o) and special order the second one for it lol. Screw my Build-in Computer Desk Spot. I'm gonna put this sweet Chassis right under right side of my Desk. Awesome

Alright so I'm totally gonna do it and just like you said that HAF X 942 has this stupid 3 slot double-spaced bracket GUHH! OopsShame. The other Chassis from ehhh too confusing ahhh I'm loosing you bro! I would need to double check if other cases would work umm I'm not sure atm thou....
So Raven eh? That case; does it have a good enough Support Bracket for 3-slot wide spaced ARES GPU's? You seem to have this Chassis too right? I just checked on New-egg and it seems like it only has a typical 2 180mm intake bottom fans and ONLY?! One 120mm exhaust fan on TOP? (Is it just like Main-Gear Chassis?BTW) So I custom order the side Drilled Hole+Intake fan for the side, but wouldn't that like Unbalance the air pressure like ridiculously towards like oven like temps because of not having enough exhaust fans, or does it have more exhaust fans? And do you mean switch for New fans for Radiator on the outside for "LCS's CPU" Radiator or the Internal chassis fans switched to AP181? BTW screw Noise Output... I'll use earplugs lol so therefore can you Please recommend me whatever fans are the most powerful/best for cooling this behemoth safely!? You said either: AP121 or Gentle Typhoons or AP181 fans? WhoaNinja *head explodes*

Correct me if I'm wrong please:
1) So all I do is tell Sarah that I'll send her my SSD's in Raid-0 for OS...
2) Then Utilize SilverStone Raven RV01?
3) Have them Cut a Hole in the side and put in Fully Volted AP181 fan 180mm?
4) Switch to DUAL AP181 Fully Volted Intake fans at the bottom? & Same for Exhaust fans on top???... but how many exhaust fans are there in Raven Case? and TOTAL fans incl custom side fan? or Gentle Typhoons fans?
5) I'll ask her then that I would use First ASUS ARES 5870 card and To Special Order the additional - Identical - Second - $1300 -> ASUS ARES 5870 card for 8gb GDDR5  of Total VRAM?

Ohhhh I'm definitely forgetting something! AHH, Hold On. 6:30 am dammit ahh!  ~_~)zZ
OH MY GUSH 4-SLI available?! how did i missed that option,  lol ... oh well, back to ARES Twins Smile Ummm wait can't i just fit it in the first 3 PCI slots then the next 3 PCI slots then the 7th PCI slot for X-Fi Sound Card? or is it dependent on the freaking Raven Bracket position in relation to GPU's again? So then i put the Sound card in between the GPU's??
Auww man! NO LCS for this GPU's so it's seriously going to sound like a freaking rocket with that primitive GPU fan... there goes my "peaceful quietness" dream...  Cry
Uh oh what about the Power Consumption and the 1500w PSU... do you really think its enough? Guhh I'm back to where I began... Loud, Power Hungry Beast of a GPU, at least it seeems like if i do those custom addons it should make it run NOT as hot right, is it tolerable as in stability wise? But then again I want to overclock it like you said... the GPU's Oh man!Ninja

Okay I misunderstood what you said, I'm going to ask someone from D.S... Sarah probably, hopefully she dealt with such cards and maybe even they can ehhhhhh LC them *crosses fingers* :P Oh wait she did say something about dual GPU's needing to be next to eachother so umm its going to either be a perfect trifecta (Case Brackets<>PCI slots<>LCS placement) or a total failure Upset and where do i stick my Sound Card now? ahhhh! Wait is EVGA MotherBoard any good, I never owned one before... EVGA Classified SLIx4, I heard it runs hot supposedly from New-egg reviews... so i might get an LC Block on it too eh?

Edited by Memento Mori - 20 Jul 2010 at 8:16am
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 8:01am
FrustratedFrustrated
GAH, don't believe everything you hear...rofl. Wait till Dragoon and justin come around for a second opinion.

******** asked Silverstone for the RV01 Chassis, slapped on a new shell, and marketed it under their own name. It's exactly the same chassis, look at it closely. Somewhat like the Assassin, which is really a FT02.
The Raven 1 has enough for an E-ATX motherboard, 7 slots. JUST enough that when paired with the right motherboard, a dual ARES and Creative configuration will actually fit. The nice thing about the case is that it rotates the motherboard 90 degrees, and now all the connectors are at the top. The entire reason I suggested the case was because of that. Think of it like this. The ARES card weighs a lot. Like, A LOT. MORE than two reference 5870 cards, who's processing units are the backbone of it. Now, put that on a regular case with the only support being at the front screws. Back has no support, and the HAF X's support bracket ain't helping here. The back is GOING to TEAR OFF the PCI-E slot during shipping LOL. The Raven instead mounts it vertical. Therefore, the card can't drag down the PCI-E slot, literally. Now, the main two pressure points are gonna be in two spots, one, the card wants to tip out of the slot, two, it'll be sinking against the slot. The card won't tip against the slot, the screw's preventing that. The only possible point of failure is if the entire PCI-E slot collapses on itself. DS foam pads it enough that I trust that it won't happen. Onto airflow, the thing mounts the motherboard 90 degrees offset, so the plugs are at the top, right? And you know that principle of heat rising? Bingo, moving air just got a whole lot easier. In addition, since the motherboard is now more close to the top, you just freed up some space at the bottom. What did silverstone do? Instead of putting a giant fan at the front like most cases, now they have room to slap some giant fans at the bottom, i.e., 180mm fans. Advantage of bigger fans is that it moves more air, but quieter. However, the 180mm fans that come stock aren't really engineered for the purpose. They just suck air, but do nothing to aim it. The Raven 2/Assassin do something about it with air filters, but the Raven 1 does nothing at the moment. This is why I recommend swapping out the 180mms for AP181's. They're made by Silverstone too, and they focus more on blasting air to an effective range. 1 meter range in fact. This pretty much blasts air straight through the top, taking full advantage of the Raven's motherboard orientation.

The fan at the top is a typical 120mm fan for venting a standard CPU cooler. All cases have it, go check for yourself, heh.

Fan replacements, two AP181's for replacing the two 180mm fans at the bottom. Leave the 120mm fan in the case alone. The Radiator fans I want specified as AP121's, they're based on the same blasting air principle as the AP181's. Need to be undervolted from 12v to 7v to be quiet though, bear in mind the radiator will be going OUTSIDE the case. (You know, come to think of it, leave a note too that you want the exterior radiator) Or go with Scythe Gentle Typhoons running at 1150 RPM (very important to mention RPM), they're very highly rated here too. Now for the side fan, just tell them to drill a 120mm fan hole, I don't really care what fan they put in, lol. It's for airflow inside, reduces ambient temperature. Might come in handy considering you're running two freaky video cards.

1) Ask Sarah that you have two SSDs actually, and if you can get any arrangements to ship it to them for use in your system.
2) Pick the RV01 if you're going dual ARES, do NOT order yet, I am only ONE opinion, give it another day to see what everyone else has to say, lol.
3) Have em cut a hole, stick in either a 120mm fan (don't care what it is), OR actually, maybe tell them to take the 180mm fan they replaced with the AP181 and make a hole for it instead. As in, they're replacing a 180mm with the AP181 anyways, use the replaced fan and stick it in the side. It's matte black though, if you want more visibility, might wanna custom order another 180mm fan (suggesting a FN-181BL. It's a 180mm Blue LED fan by Silverstone)
4) Switch the 180mms to dual AP181s, yeah. Top 120mm fan leave it alone. The 180mms effectively function as both intake and exhaust fans.
5) They have a few ARES cards, it's just not in the options to order two in CrossFire. That's why you need to ask them.

Yep, I have that chassis, which explains me suggesting specific fans for it. LOL.
Yeaaah, so now, I know a lot of people are gonna suggest a dual 480 rig. But seriously, considering your budget, and a ARES 5870x2 alone can already nudge up to dual 480s. Crossfire em and damn...
1500 I would highly recommend because the ARES's alone will EAT 1000w by itself. ROFL.
I don't know whether you can LC them or not, maybe you can? Again, need to ask. I AM ONLY ONE OPINION...Wait for someone else's opinion too, jeeze, otherwise Ia lot of people are gonna get ticked, heh.

EDIT :: Just wanted to make a quick edit...a single Asus ARES weighs almost 3.5kg..which is around 7.8lbs...so yeah, it's gonna tear off a normal PCI-E slot. lol...

Edited by ablahblah - 20 Jul 2010 at 8:17am
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 8:19am
And just noticed that you never really saw what the heck an ARES was. LOL. Or did you? Whatever.

Links for the 3.5kg/7.8lb card coming up....LOL... :

Asus Page
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=bGf2f0s2zeWhT0w8

Review
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/ARES/1.html

Again, hold that trigger, wait for other's opinions FIRST. I don't like it when other people don't have a chance to speak their mind, heh. The CrossFire'd ARES is just my personal opinion, and to support it, the Raven case and Asus boards are necessary. If a SLI 480 build seems like a better choice, then none of it is necessary. Pretty sure I'm gonna get shot down on the dual ARES though, LOL.

EDIT : JUST FORGOT. Dang, I forgot to add on that 5 year warranty. Do me a favor and remember to add that, extra $200 though. Another couple hundred for the wooden crate, and it still snugly fits into that $7500 budget. Fixed link w/5 yr warranty

EDIT : Forgot to mention two things on that post. Yeah, the Creative sound card will be sandwiched between the ARES. Sorry, it's the only way! The classified 4x-sli won't fit on the Raven. The Classified 3x SLI won't cut it, bad slot spacing. The Rampage III Extreme is the only offered option that'll make everything fit.

EDIT : Finding so many things i didn't address. The card holder on the HAF X is great. The only thing is, it fits standard size two slot cards like a regular 5970, or a GTX 480, etc. This ARES card is a monster at 3 slots, so it won't fit on the HAF X's holder. Which is why I can't rely on it to support the card and prevent it's 7.8lbs of might from tearing off the PCI-E slot. 'Nother thing, see that "Estimated Ship Date : 8/4/10"? Yeh, prepare to die waiting for the beast when you order it LOL

Edited by ablahblah - 20 Jul 2010 at 8:47am
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz

Quote Memento Mori Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 8:41am
Oh no its cool man, I really appreciate your suggestions and ideas; it's just all so completely overwhelming atm. And I'm definitely going to wait for second opinions and quadruple check everything before I do anything with my moneys lol (just in case we are both a bit mistaken with some parts or configs or sumthin')Smile

BTW It said that it needs to have Crossfire X in Game Profile for every game or else it functions as a normal xFire 5870's and also 10% better over all in best case scenarios ehh? even thou it does say it has better overclocking potential or so it says. Uhhh man so much new info to digest. Wouldn't it be kind of useless unless its LC'ed as in to overclock it further? Oh how i wish it was possible to LC it :\ Strong

Oh no! Only ASUS motherboards? dammit I'll inspect the pics for Rampage 3 again.
brb

EDIT: Looking pretty grim, Unless I ask D.S. to stick first ARES in farthest left slot, then second one in second one from the right, then sound card all the way at the right which would make two GPU's be together IF LCS is possible.
Do you know about the bracket situation thou? Like can it be positioned anywhere (unlike HAF X)? also how many openings are there for the slots on the TOP? as i count at least 8 needed i think.

EDIT2: Oh no worries i have ALL the patience in the world lol i still have like 28 games in my GameFly queue haha and a seperate BD player and my old PC still does the simple jobs lol

Edited by Memento Mori - 20 Jul 2010 at 8:52am
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 8:47am
Yeah, quadding these things is a leeetle bit tricky. Needs specific driver support and specific settings. And it has some pretty dang good overclocking potential, a 25% overclock already at stock (no modification, regular cooler)! As for LC, man, it'd be sooo freaking sweet to go and LC these bad boys. Maybe a 5970 block would work. Whatever, ask DS.

The ASUS Rampage III Extreme is the only motherboard with the right PCI-E slot schematic to make this work. 7 slots will take up the entire dang thing's space for expansion. Very tricky to find a motherboard layout that'll support it correctly.

Oh, and BEFORE I get killed for suggesting the ARES. I suggested the ARES being aware of how horrible a usual 5970 is. This ain't no 5970 lol. Dual 5870's, no setbacks. It might be able to compete with 480s, it runs cooler than 480s, actually uses LESS power than 480s, though noise is the issue. Might be possible to LC em, which is again why I suggested em.

Edited by ablahblah - 20 Jul 2010 at 8:49am
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz

Quote Memento Mori Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 9:02am
Wait the EVGA has 7 Full sized PCIe slots but did you meant that it wont fit itself inside the Chassis? Cause that would be not cool. :\
Oh man i wish i could just build this whole thing myself as i'm sure there is godda be some retail case that makes it all fit together perfectly. but i'm such a noob at overclocking i would like so totally set it all on fire guh! Plus no warranty for parts on my own build, or insurance against overclocking. Sad

ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 9:08am
EVGA 4x SLI will NOT fit in this chassis. It's bigger than E-ATX, which is already I think the biggest international case standard. Only a few specially designed cases will fit it, like the Lian Li PC-P80 or the HAF X. But again, I wouldn't personally ship any ARES in a case besides a Raven. Too risky of it tearing the PCI-E slot clean off. Seeing as there are only three cases are Raven, and that the Raven 1 is the only practical one for airflow and liquid cooling in this situation, I'm sticking with the Raven 1. The EVGA 3x SLI Classified will fit, but there's a sliver of doubt that it might or might not fit. Look at it.

I was thinking the Creative card would go at the end, one ARES right next to it, reaching to the next PCI-E slot (red), skipping the middle black PCI slot, and having the last ARES on the next PCI-E slot (red) branching off JUST reaching the edge of the motherboard. It'd stuff the fan right next to the case wall though, bad airflow.

Now look at the Rampage III Extreme:

I can stuff an ARES at the PCI-E slot at the right (red), put the  Creative card at the middle black PCI-Ex4 slot, and sandwich it with another ARES directly to the left of it. It'd just nicely jam right before the edge of the motherboard, leaving some breathing room.

Edited by ablahblah - 20 Jul 2010 at 9:20am
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 9:28am
pass on the ARES..
go with 2 5870's, water cool them if you like. 2 GTX 480's will cost a bit more, but are more powerful overall, especially wth high AA, and games that use a ton of GPU RAM.  TRI-fire or Tri-SLI have good gains over dual cards, but quad scaling on ATI or Nvidia sux. Dual ARES would not game any better than 3 5870's, and 3 5870's will be a lot cheaper, 3 GTX 480's will use a ton of power, but is  the best you can get for a gaming rig ATM.
The Asus RE III is an excellent board, the Classified 760 is a great board also, just a bit dated.. I have had 4 classified boards, and only one RE III, but if I was to buy today, I would take the RE III, it has a few bonus's for the 980x, and multi card setups.. but either board is grea,t and will exceed  98% of overclockers abilities. Big%20Smile

Quote Memento Mori Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 9:32am
I'm looking at Raven RV02... semms like it would work better, whachya think?
Revolutionary 90 degree motherboard mounting from RAVEN RV01
Three 180mm fans for unprecedented positive pressure and stack effect cooling
Supports liquid cooling radiator mounting
Motherboard back plate opening behind CPU area for quick cooler assembly
Supports 11” wide ATX motherboard
Supports EIGHT expansion slots.
Updated hard drive suspension system to prevent drive noise
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 9:41am
Eight? What? Since when? IMO, the Raven, the Original, The 1, still beats the 2.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz

Quote Memento Mori Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 9:41am
Ah! I think you guys are right, I should just get the Lian Li Chassis and Asus Rampage III Extreme because i just measured the size of my empty space under the desk and its a no go (i would destroy my knees next to this case)... still going to have to fit it in between ~10" of desk space. hmm so many choices lol
EDIT: but wait. the v2 adds one more slot opening and seems like it has more internal space as well as it adds a 3rd intake fan at the bottom and thats it lol but still i dunno, man. Confused

EDIT2: ARES has 40nm chip... hence the HUJ power consumption i guess and well also the dual cores, ehh :\

Edited by Memento Mori - 20 Jul 2010 at 9:48am
teaiewold View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote teaiewold Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 9:49am
JStones View Drop Down

Quote JStones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 12:19pm
I am a professional cg artist.  I use maya, modo, zbrush, cs4 suite daily.  DO NOT GET ATI VIDEO CARDS.  They are great for gaming but Nvidia is the way to go for 3d creation apps!  Go with the 480.  On a side note, sli will gain you nothing in the aformentioned apps, only gaming will see a benefit.

Quote Memento Mori Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 5:44pm
Thank you Jstones, Thanks to all of you guys!!!! I'm going to take a long, hard look at all my choices; but unfortunately for me the possibilities are not endless lol, as my computer desk is the cause of a major annoyance and it won't take just any Chassis (hence making some powerful configs not stable or safe for operation) as there would be no space for side intake fans basically guh! Frustrated

I am by no means a professional CG artist myself lol even thou I do passionately love drawing digitally and with actual paints on canvases. I am getting more and more into digital art thou so yup. I need to research it all a bit more. Don't want to make any wrong choices, or it would be deja vu all over again with returns. Gush I still don't know what monitor to go for thou!? If someone could please help me choose the sweetest monitor around ($1100 max) I'd really appreciate it so so much, thank you guys. Scared
Justin.kerr, sorry, I misread your post incorrectly, you definitely have a good plan in mind; I might try this setup like you suggested........ "3 GTX 480's" + "1 X-Fi Sound card" on an "ASUS RE-III" with the "1500w PSU" and all "LC'ed" inside the "Lian Li" chassis as its the only option (ehh seems like, so far) for me atm without those god-damn freakin side intake fans options ahhh!Frustrated

Oh! Do you guys think I should just suck it up and wait it out 'till something new comes out this fall? ( My old desktop is over 6 years old and still runs ehh okay lol damn you MrDellOops).

Edited by Memento Mori - 20 Jul 2010 at 5:59pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 6:17pm
monitor.. Dell 3007 good, 3008 bit better, also the HP 3065 is good. The HP is what I use for a gaming monitor ATM.
most times it only pays off to wait, if there is new hardware coming out soon, that is next generation..  right now there  is not really anything soon at all.
CPU wise, not for a year, GPU wise ATI and Nvidia's next gen will be next year.. Intel SSD's end of this year, or first of next... so you would have to wait almost a year to get a significantly faster PC.. I would rather enjoy a awesome computer for a year, than wait it out with an old crappy one. lol even after a year, the 980x with 3 GTX 480's will still be a very strong PC.

Quote Memento Mori Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 6:18pm
Did NewEgg Just changed it's Site's Product layout? O.o 

Oh 30" Monitor is too big for me I think! The 26-27" WQHD wide screen or 16:10 is what I'm looking for. Oh! and I deff want to see what Intel has up it's sleeve with the new Intel 6gbps SSD's.
But to tell you truthfully, that OWC RAID0 SSD's are never going to degrade in speed with it's 28% over provisioning and latest Sandforce v1500 firmware (I think they updated the firmware recently and now MTTF is higher thou not sure how it really works thou plus there is always - ATA Secure Erase & Drive Image back-ups lol)  Plus it has 5 year warranty and like 10 million MTTF. which is supposedly 7 times more reliable then intel's or any other ones on the market. Or so i've been told from several Review sites and Notebook & desktopreview.com site's forums. Gush i dunno who to trust anymore thou as its so confusing with this SSD's... i already bought them thou so yay for me! Crazy
http://thessdreview.blogspot.com/2010/05/ssd-review-owc-mercury-extreme-pro-re.html

BTW, Justin, what is your recommendation from this two choices for quality & GPU processing power wise: 3x GTX 480's or 3x 5870's? And which GPUs overclock better under LCS? :o
Dammit! I think i am just going to cut a hole in my desk just to allow that HAF X 942 to fit in because those support brackets for TRI SLI - (dual slot spaced & 9Exp Slots total) are so freaking sweettt!! 

Edited by Memento Mori - 20 Jul 2010 at 7:08pm
JStones View Drop Down

Quote JStones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 7:17pm
Why not just get a new desk?  You seem to have a huge budget for this.  

Quote Memento Mori Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 7:22pm
Err Okay, damn you Justin! Oops Now I want that Dell 3008 & HP 3065 LOL !!! DroolingSo im checking out those Tech specs and do you know which one is reviewed better for panel uniformity and all that other stuff wise? You said it's your gaming monitor so ummm input lag and response time is not an issue ???

Uhhhhhh oh my gush Jstones! Ermmm thats a good idea actually :O! Oh wait maybe not i have two giant windows on two sides of this back wall for the desk and then two HUJ symmetrical mirrors on the closet doors around the sides of the walls and its like really hard to find a good enough desk thou that fits in between it all Oops.

Edited by Memento Mori - 20 Jul 2010 at 7:28pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 7:37pm

LOL make the 30" fit! you will not regret it. I have 9 monitors at the house currently, and there is a reason I game on that one.

GPU's  I went for performance/vs value. 3 GTX 480's will be more powerful than 3 5870's for nearly all games.
I got my 3 5870's for close to the same price as 2 GTX 480's.
 The GTX 480 gains more frames per second overclocking wise than the 5870.. both are good overclockers, but the GTX 480 responds in games better to overclocking than the 5870 does.
If you have the budget, then 3 GTX 480's is the way to go.

Quote Memento Mori Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 7:59pm
Justin, can you please verify that I'm looking at the same HP LP3065 Model # or not, as you are recommending me?...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176071&Tpk=HP%203065
And it has NO HDMI inputs but supposedly the DVI Dual Link is HDCP compliant so what do i do if i want to connect my game consoles with HDMI? Would I be able to just buy an adapter/converter umm have you tested it out in this way? Sorry for asking so many questions. \Confused/

Quote Memento Mori Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 9:40pm
Okay so I'm doing some further research for Best 30" Gaming Monitors and came across this HARDOCP Forum post.
I modified the post with links to Newegg and Amazon.
Post #16 from "Vega". He seems to know what he's talking about, I think...
ACTUAL PANEL MODEL #... is in parenthesis>>>

This is a list of 30" IPS monitors that have NO SCALER... leading to around 15ms or less of INPUT LAG and the panel used:

Dell 3007WFP-HC (LM300WQ"3") http://www.amazon.com/Dell-3007WFP-HC-30-Inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B001AO2QLG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279674881&sr=8-3

HP LP3065 (LM300WQ"3") http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176071&Tpk=HP%20LP3065

LG W3000H (LM300WQ"5") http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005115

Doublesight DS-305W (LM300WQ"3") http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824185012&cm_re=DS-305W-_-24-185-012-_-Product

This is a list of 30" IPS monitors that HAVE a SCALER... leading to 25ms or more (even up to 50ms range) of INPUT LAG and the panel used:

Dell 3008WFP (LM300WQ"5") http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-3008WFP-30-inch-Widescreen/dp/B001JI92KQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279675713&sr=8-1

NEC LCD3090WQXi (LM300WQ"5") http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002419&Tpk=LCD3090WQXi

This is a list of 30" PVA monitors which are generally slower then IPS due to the technology, generally in the 30ms or more (even up to 50+ms range) of INPUT LAG and the panel used:

Samsung XL30 (LTM300DS) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001266&cm_re=Samsung_XL30-_-24-001-266-_-Product

Samsung 305T (LTM300M1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001098&cm_re=Samsung_305T-_-24-001-098-_-Product

Gateway XHD3000 (LTM300M1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824113013&cm_re=Gateway_XHD3000-_-24-113-013-_-Product

His Post Continues...

Quote Memento Mori Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 9:41pm
By "Vega" from HARDOCP>>>
"" I have owned a few of these LCD's on my quest for the perfect 30" for gaming and I have done quite a bit of research. I will provide a few notes and thoughts about the different monitors.

I generally like IPS better then PVA but I would have to say if the input lag on the Samsung XL30 wasn't as high as it is, I would be using that monitor. Best color reproduction of them all, awesome LED back light and the price has fallen to around $2200 from it's original ~$4500. But the input lag is a killer for me.

The Gateway is a pretty nice screen visually but the input lag, especially with the non-native resolution scaled was just horrid. I had tested around ~80ms input lag with that monitor when using non-native resolution and I returned it. Even in Windows at native resolution the lag was so bad I could clearly see significant mouse movement delay it was that bad.

The 305T looks nice and it uses the same panel as the Gateway but still too slow for me.

The Dell 3008 and the NEC LCD3090WQXi both use the best IPS panel (LM300WQ5), but both have scalers. I don't have any need for tons of inputs so there was no need to go with a screen that has higher input lag when I can get the same panel with a different brand with no scaler. Both of these were out of the running.

This takes us to the fastest screens. The Dell 3007WFP-HC, HP LP3065 and Doublesight DS-305W all use the 92% gamut LM300WQ3 panel. Obviously no scalars used but out of the three the DoubleSight is the fastest. In fact the DoubleSight is the fastest 30" with a 7.5ms tested input lag, while the other two are around 15ms.

The LG W3000H stands out here because it uses the best IPS panel; the LM300WQ5, and has no scalar so the input lag is relatively minimal.

If you are looking for the best gaming 30" I think it is down to two choices really. If you are looking for the absolute fastest with still a decent panel, get the DoubleSight DS-305W. If you want the best panel possible and still pretty low input lag, get the LG W3000H. ""

Quote Memento Mori Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 10:03pm
      Alright so I don't understand something, they're all talking about increased INPUT LAG when the SCALER activates to scale and convert to a different resolution BUT what if I would always be using the Native 2560x1600 resolution? Then will this be an issue and would it even affect me or the scaler just won't turn on and therefore not increase the input lag in Native Res??
And I suspect that NONE of those panels are 10bit like the new Dell U2711 (2010 edition) is right? Sad

But then, there are those 1080PNinja120Htz panels !!! Dammit my head hurts now!

Edited by Memento Mori - 20 Jul 2010 at 10:07pm
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 10:25pm
er...I'm clueless about monitors. LOL. but just wanted to say, ARES got shot down like i said it would. Wheehoo! LOL

blegh, didn't think it'd last anyways. just wanted to give another suggestion outside of the GTX 480 box. Hey, you know, if you want a little bit...there's rumors floating round of a dual-chip nvidia card....Then again, it's just the equivalent of dual GTX 460s. Equivalent of dual 5830s. LOL.

whatever. GTX 480s in SLI haven't failed anyone before, it's just the power usage that's KILLER. 1500w of a PSU is COMPLETELY a must.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>