FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Build Help

Post Date: 2022-04-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
vortigaunt View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote vortigaunt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Build Help
    Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 12:13pm
Time to Retire 2007, 2011 DS built PCs, as upgrading will not increase performance. Mere fact these rigs are still running is a testament to the DS Build Quality, they do really last. Prefer Velox builds, will mainly use for PC Gaming and Desktop builds. Using a 40 in 2 K monitor. Had to halt ordering before because of the GPU snafu. I wonder if this is the time to order because GPU prices are falling.
I Remember Cretae advising to wait until around this time since PCI-e on Intel MOBOs is now better.

Thanks for the suggestions and inputs!

Budget:
2.2-3K

Expectations:
Usual Desktop use, Coding, Gaming

Usage:
Usual Desktop use, Coding, Gaming

Special Needs:
Possible VR
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 4:37am
Welcome back!

Okay, you do understand the Velox case alone adds $174 to a Lumos build, and $290 to a Lynx case build. Those numbers are going to impact everything else down the line in your budget.

That said, here's what I recommend at your budget:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4367523

The CPU is plenty powerful to edge out the Ryzen selections, but the Intel i9 brings nothing more for gaming. 32GB of RAM is in the budget, will be helpful for multi-tasking, and may become needful before this rig ages too much.

The storage is all M.2 NVMe. The 980 is plenty for your primary drive, and 3 x faster than the DS NVMe. it's PCIe gen 4. The DS drive is about 4x faster than a SATA SSD. It's PCIe gen 3. You can migrate over or add several more SSDs or HDDs at your leisure.

The 3070 will power your monitor very well. Here's how it stacks up to the last gen "supercard" which NO ONE was recommending be wasted on 2K:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3070-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2080-Ti/4083vs4027

The 3060 Ti might be enough if you're mon doesn't get really high framerates. Your call.

Triple fan coolers are 50% better than dual fan coolers, and it's in the budget. 'Nuff said.   

Whatdya think?
vortigaunt View Drop Down

Quote vortigaunt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 5:47pm
Thanks for the suggestions, Cretae!
Would a 3070 Ti justify the additional cost?

Slightly modified the one you suggested, would this be a bang for the buck set up?

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4368178
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 3:16am
If you're fine with expanding the budget for more storage, all is well. I'm not a big fan of HDDs these days, but they are cheap. If you have a large library of videos, photos, and old docs you want to bring to this machine, and you don't don't trust migrating an HDD from an older rig, I get it. If you want more storage to load from in real time, a SATA SSD is about 4-5 times faster, and has no moving parts to break down. You may easily add one of those when the need arises. The cabling will be there from DS behind the mobo.

None of the current batch of GPUs are "worth the additional cost" IMHO. It's just really unfortunate what has struck us in this time just when GPUs actually began to perform spectacularly well for their MSRPs. the 3070 shoulda/woulda gone for $499, but actually costs here about $825. Believe it or not, that's a competitive price.       To pay any more for a slight improvement you may never be able to appreciate is something I wouldn't do. The 3070 Ti rates out a 10% bump from the 3070, which as I showed is just as strong as the 2080 TI except MORE with upgraded ray tracing and better DLSS. I think it's the right card, but it's not my dough.
If your monitor doesn't get framerates much above 110, it's a waste. Remember DLSS, when used on games you play a lot, will improve images while it improves framerates.   
 Post Reply Post Reply