FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Build suggestions

Post Date: 2020-06-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Astronomy View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Astronomy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Build suggestions
    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 9:26am
Budget:
$ 2000

Expectations:
Mostly just a solid gaming rig, im not looking for top end graphics, If I can have high settings with stable framerates and gpu/cpu temps in range without overthrottling most everything im great with that. I need it to be VR capable with the oculus rift and I will do some digital astrophotography with a digital telescope requiring some photo editing.
I will be pairing the spec list below with the GEFORCE RTX 2070
Any tweeks or adds would be appreciated

Usage:
Assassins Creed, Witcher 3, No mans sky, Elite dangerous, Red Dead, Sea of Thieves, Cyberpunk...etc

Special Needs:
Vr capable (Oculus rift)

Specifications:
System Configuration:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (8-Core) 4.4 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 600W Digital Storm Performance Series (Supports up to an NVIDIA RTX 2070 GPU)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 1: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Single Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, 6 Week Ship Estimate After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Sub-Total: $1,681.00
Tax (0%): $0.00
S&H: Ground $102.89
Grand Total: $1,783.89
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 4:44am
You can definitely afford to beef up everywhere for better performance and better "future proofing" within your budget .

The 2070 you have is a very solid card. Although the SUPER version is considered THE price/performance pick for gaming at 1440p, that one will get it done just fine, and be great for VR.

If you are set on the Velox case, I have to give the famed "Velox disclaimer". The side window is on the right hand side, so the mobo and all attached to her is upside down in the window.

My list of "must haves":

>An 850W modular power supply. The 600W limits you to an RTX 2070 because of the power draw. A lot of things you might want to add in the future may be limited by the weaker part. ($112)

>A Seagate Firecuda 500 GB NVMe SSD for your primary drive. The DS part is SATA, the Seagate is 4th generation PCIe, mates with your 4th gen mobo, and is 5 TIMES faster than a SATA drive. ($21, a total no-brainer!)

>The dual fan CPU cooler. Nothin more important than keeping your CPU cooler. ($40)

>LED lighting is free, so....

That comes in at $1819, but you will leave a $200 discount on the table if you stop there, Under $2000 doesn't qualify.

So... Here are some suggestions of how to spend a bit more to get 200 off.

I'd like you to have a stronger motherboard so you can be confident you have a platform for upgrading in the future. The Asus X570 Pro is the choice at $140.

Get 32 GB of DS RAM for faster processing of your photo editing at $118.

Adding those two important upgrades gets you over $2000 and costs you a net of $58 because of the discount! You are now at $1877. You might consider upgrading to the 3800X for $84 for a bit more CPU longevity and still be under budget.
Astronomy View Drop Down

Quote Astronomy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 5:43am
Wow, this is some great advice, obviously this is the first custom build I have attempted and a bit of an impulse after my 8year Frankenstein finally gave up...first...i already made the purchase and didnt see the forums until after and was hoping i did ok and maybe just a tweak or two would be mentioned..lol...
Is it too late ?
Second...now that you mention the upside down part about the Velox case ( I was aware of the left hand mounting) I would be fine with the lumos case...hmm...
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 6:00am
Astronomy, depending on when you ordered it you may still be able to make the changes you want. DS is very accommodating in this regard as they want you to have the best machine for you... So, call them this morning and see what's what, so to speak.

Secondarily, if you've already ordered and your ordering email matches your forum's email exactly (yes, case sensitive) you'll get the lovely and famous "Verified Customer" badge that most of us sport around here.

Just a couple of thoughts from the peanut gallery.   
Astronomy View Drop Down

Quote Astronomy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 6:16am
Originally posted by Snaike

Astronomy, depending on when you ordered it you may still be able to make the changes you want. DS is very accommodating in this regard as they want you to have the best machine for you... So, call them this morning and see what's what, so to speak.

Secondarily, if you've already ordered and your ordering email matches your forum's email exactly (yes, case sensitive) you'll get the lovely and famous "Verified Customer" badge that most of us sport around here.

Just a couple of thoughts from the peanut gallery.   

Thanks...i ordered last fri night, got stage 1 confirm tues...says 5-10 b days in this stage.

Definately need to call then...glad to hear they may be willing to help me out..are they located on the west coast/pacific time ?

I believe my emails match looking at the post notification and DS correspondence...maybe its a good sign im not fully in the system yet..easier to modify order..thanks again
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 6:30am
You know, I didn't mention what you could do with a case switch for fear of TMI.

Note the build I suggested will not get to the $2000 threshold with a switch to the Lumos. HOWEVER, upgrade the processor and you're there. Instead, or in addition, you could get another Seagate NVMe M.2 for secondary storage, and go all SSD! If you did both, and got the 1TB Firecuda, your net would be $2077 and you'd have a solid, killer fast rig for just 77 bucks over budget!!

As Snaike said, there is plenty of time to make the changes, and DS welcomes such. They want a happy customer above all, because we tend to come back and back and....
Astronomy View Drop Down

Quote Astronomy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 6:47am
Originally posted by Cretae

You know, I didn't mention what you could do with a case switch for fear of TMI.

Note the build I suggested will not get to the $2000 threshold with a switch to the Lumos. HOWEVER, upgrade the processor and you're there. Instead, or in addition, you could get another Seagate NVMe M.2 for secondary storage, and go all SSD! If you did both, and got the 1TB Firecuda, your net would be $2077 and you'd have a solid, killer fast rig for just 77 bucks over budget!!

As Snaike said, there is plenty of time to make the changes, and DS welcomes such. They want a happy customer above all, because we tend to come back and back and....

Lol @TMI
Newb lesson 1, never order a computer @2am fri night after spending 3 hrs trying to just get terreria to play.....doh!

Looks like a complete reconfigure....Maybe i can save a reconfigure then call and switch the specs...Thanks you helped me out tons...I will drop the respec here if you care to give a glance 👍
Astronomy View Drop Down

Quote Astronomy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 7:30am
This what I came up...i held off CPU upgrade it looks like on VS charts the 3750 ups workcenter not so much gaming...3800 better kind of small returns from 3700. (Please let me know if thats wrong..i just plugged in the cpus on a vs calc)
I skimped a little on storage ( I have a EVO 850 2TB SSD)
I upped to win10 Pro DS tweaked

$2,036.00     $2,036.00

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-PRO (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Corsair / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
LaserMark: Option Not Available
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, 6 Week Ship Estimate After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Hide Configuration Æ
99940     -- PROMOTIONAL LIMITED TIME BONUS DISCOUNT: $200     1     ($200.00)     ($200.00)
Shipping:     Calculator
Subtotal:     $1,836.00

Astronomy View Drop Down

Quote Astronomy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 7:51am
Here i just went to the level 3 lumos and downgraded And saved a littke more.
Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 3158313          $2,015.00     $2,015.00

System Configuration:
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
Hide Configuration Æ
99940     -- PROMOTIONAL LIMITED TIME BONUS DISCOUNT: $200     1     ($200.00)     ($200.00)
Shipping:     Calculator
Subtotal:     $1,815.00
Astronomy View Drop Down

Quote Astronomy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 7:54am
N/m for 15$ top one has upgraded seagate firecuda 500GB vs DS ...squeeked every penny out of that one..lol. Thanks again calling in an hour. 👍

Edited by Astronomy - 05 Jun 2020 at 7:56am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 9:22am
Glad to help!

You're fine with the 3700X, it's not that different.

IDK which one you're getting. The Seagate NVMe is a no-brainer for $21. It's FIVE TIMES faster than the DS SATA one. That's up to 5x faster on everything from booting up to loading an app to running a drive scan for malware or virus. The second one is a little overkill, sure.

We have not recommended the OS tweak for many years. It's a throwback to when systems came with a GB or two of system RAM, and unessential processes ate into that. You have 32GB of RAM... not even an issue. There's no reason not to let Win 10 Pro roam free and do it's thing.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 12:41pm
Aside from all the config talk, the Verified Customer badge has to match exactly. My own didn't show up until I fixed my forum's email with a capital letter at the front. So "Password" and "password" do not match. Just a thought... now back to your regularly scheduled configuration chat!   
Astronomy View Drop Down

Quote Astronomy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 2:28pm
There’s that fancy badge..

So this is the build I locked in today...basically paid $120 more (reached $2001 to get the 200off) upgraded every category except lighting !!

Thanks again Cretae... saved me from making some costly mistakes...look forward to delivery day.

Order Contents:
- Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 3159164 Quantity: 1 $2,001.00
- -- PROMOTIONAL LIMITED TIME BONUS DISCOUNT: $200 Quantity: 1 ($200.00)

System Configuration:
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system

Sub-Total: $1,801.00
Tax (0%): $0.00
S&H:
Grand Total: $1,903.89
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 1:00am
Sweet!!   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 2:19am
My friend, I am so pleased I could help! That will be a very strong platform for a long while. It's not terribly unusual for a DS rig to last 7, 8, 9 years with a few tweaks along the way. (My original went 8 years.) Never have CPUs storage and GPUs been nearly this powerful, so I wonder what life this generation of parts has in it. What you put together has that potential.
Astronomy View Drop Down

Quote Astronomy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 10:15am
Stage 7...just waiting on that tracking #. It’s been quite the wait, My second financed payment is already due next week hahahahaa.   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 1:34pm
Sacrifice some cardboard to the shipping gods. I hope it all goes well. You are going to be loving this soon!
Astronomy View Drop Down

Quote Astronomy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Cretae

Sacrifice some cardboard to the shipping gods. I hope it all goes well. You are going to be loving this soon!

Like that ?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 2:50am
Perfect!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 5:04am
Put the trailer in also. LOL
Awesome

Astronomy View Drop Down

Quote Astronomy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by hoserator

Put the trailer in also. LOL
Awesome

i guess that did the trick, got the tracking #. 7 days, the wait is over. 😝

... removed 'giant' post w/ personal information ...

Edited by Snaike - 22 Jul 2020 at 2:25am
Astronomy View Drop Down

Quote Astronomy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 4:24pm
Yikes..sorry about the giant post lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply