FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

But will it be quiet?

Post Date: 2023-07-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jvitiel View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jvitiel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: But will it be quiet?
    Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 8:27am
Hi All,

I just ordered the following.

Does anyone have a feel for how noisy it will be? It's going to be under my desk in a home office I share with my wife and her silent laptop. We never hear my current desktop.

Thanks for any insights you might have..

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Processor: Intel Core i9-13900K (5.7 GHz Turbo) (32-Thread) (24-Core) 3.0 GHz (Raptor Lake)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z790-P D5 (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z790 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI) (DDR5)
System Memory: 64GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY Beast RGB
Power Supply: 750W Digital Storm Performance Series (80 Plus Gold)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: External USB - DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 4060 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Triple Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Software Control: - No Thanks
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
CPU Boost: Turbo Boost Technology
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 10:38pm
Congratulations and welcome to DS. Awesome

I am not one of the configurator gurus but that system will not be as quiet as a laptop but probably pretty close. The Noctua air cooler might be a bit quieter.
Enjoy! Smile

JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2023 at 9:50pm
I have a Velox rather than a Lumos, so I'm not 100% sure that the same tricks will make it quiet. However, this is what I did to make my Velox super quiet:

• I have a Noctua DH-15S air cooler. It's really quiet.

• I selected a video card that is known for being quiet. My first card was an RTX 3090 Founders Edition. My second card is a MSI Suprim X 4090. I'm sure there are plenty of other cards that are quiet too. Just do some research, and find a card in your price range that is known for being quiet.

• Rather than using the stock DS case fans, I asked them to install Noctua fans. You'll pay a little extra for those, but they are very quiet.

• After all that I still had some significant noise from the power supply fan. That was a bummer, but then my power supply failed, and I replaced it with a Corsair AX1600i power supply. That one is super quiet, and the fan usually doesn't even turn on.

• Finally, I adjusted my case fan curves to only run at 800 RPM when the CPU temperature is below 70C. They ramp up to full speed as the CPU temperature changes from 70C to 80C. Forturnately the CPU temperature never exceeds 70C, so the case fans always run at 800 RPM. I selected 800 RPM, because it has a pleasing tone, and isn't loud at all.

The end result is a whisper quiet machine even when playing games at ultra quality on an ultrawide 38" display. I'm shocked at how quiet it is. Hopefully you can make these changes with the Lumus too. :)

I actually think DS could market a machine like this for people like me who strongly desire a quiet office. I hope you see this post DS. (hint hint)

Edited by JamesAstro - 17 Jul 2023 at 9:51pm
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2023 at 10:15pm
If you do not NEED the very high end computing power of the 13900K, back off to the 13700KF. The 13900K runs very hot and will require more from your radiator fans The 13700KF would run very well with the Noctua air cooling mentioned, but the lesser demand from a 13700 would let the all-in-one radiator run slower.

The GPU you've ordered is a modest performer, and so should not spin up loudly under load. The case fans and PSU fan should not be annoying at all. IDK what it was with James Astro's PSU fan, but mine does not annoy.

If you absolutely must have the 13900K, i woud stay with the liqid cooling, but do tune it in your bios to control noise. In no wise should it be obnoxious IMHO.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2023 at 2:45am
Ahh, I would never ever debate configurations with THE Guru Cretae Strongbut the Noctua has been proven to be just as good thermally as  an AIO and with less hardware. I'll take it any day for any cpu including the 13900KS. That said, it is huge and makes working on the mobo RAM modules impossible so....Smile
jvitiel View Drop Down

Quote jvitiel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2023 at 5:52am
Ah, thanks for all the great feedback guys. Much appreciated!

I tend to run hardware into the ground so I try to overbuild it at the beginning to accommodate future growth/demand. Not being an expert, I chose the 13900 just to cover all bases/future needs.

That said, my current primary use case is just editing still photographs in PhotoShop so I'm guessing that I could back the CPU off to a 13700 but not sure. (I currently run an i3-7100 and it's an old dog but again want to accommodate future loads.)

Any thoughts on using the 13700 for PhotoShop? (Merging multiple images into a single HDR image and running the AI based noise reduction routine are the biggest loads I encounter in Photoshop)

Other than the RAM serviceability (which is an acceptable downside for me), the Noctura sounds like a good thing to do regardless so thanks all for that tip too.

I will chat with DS sales support and see if I can make these mods to my current order and avoid getting pushed to the back of the queue again. I just ordered it on Friday so hopefully we can slip it in there..

Thanks!

Edited by jvitiel - 18 Jul 2023 at 9:46am
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2023 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by jvitiel

That said, my current primary use case is just editing still photographs in PhotoShop so I'm guessing that I could back the CPU off to a 13700 but not sure. (I currently run an i3-7100 and it's an old dog but again want to accommodate future loads.)

Any thoughts on using the 13700 for PhotoShop? (Merging multiple images into a single HDR image and running the AI based noise reduction routine are the biggest loads I encounter in Photoshop)

Adobe Creative Cloud Performance: Intel 6th Gen to 13th Gen | Puget Systems

13th Gen Intel Core Processors Content Creation Review | Puget Systems

PugetBench Results | Puget Systems
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2023 at 9:43pm
By the way, the Corsair iCUE Commander Pro is a great product for controlling fan curves. I would recommend getting that if you are concerned about controlling the sound level and fan speeds.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2023 at 11:03am
@jvitiel In your situation where noise - and by association heat and power consumption - is a prime consideration I'd opt for the 13700kf over the 13900k. The 13900k is a niche processor in general in my opinion. Noctua is certainly the way to go with noise considerations in mind, but the 13900k is just on a whole other level of heat production for comparatively marginal gains for your use-case vs. the 13700kf. Thought it should probably be said that Intel's 13th Gen are just power hungry in general. Lastly, keep in mind that the kf has no integrated graphics, so if your GPU goes you're SOL until you can get a new GPU. As much as I loathe the kf line for that reason I still think the 13700kf would be better than the 13900k for your situation.
jvitiel View Drop Down

Quote jvitiel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2023 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by MrCheeta

Adobe Creative Cloud Performance: Intel 6th Gen to 13th Gen | Puget Systems

13th Gen Intel Core Processors Content Creation Review | Puget Systems

PugetBench Results | Puget Systems

Thanks for this. I just tried loading their benchmarker on my machine and it wouldn't even run it - lol.

Regardless, I saw a machine similar to mine in their db and it only had a score of ~380 so I'm thinking I'm going to be plenty happy with the 13700 recommended by a few here.

Thanks again..

...fixed broken quote...

Edited by Snaike - 27 Jul 2023 at 1:11pm
jvitiel View Drop Down

Quote jvitiel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2023 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by JamesAstro

By the way, the Corsair iCUE Commander Pro is a great product for controlling fan curves. I would recommend getting that if you are concerned about controlling the sound level and fan speeds.

Thanks James,

I changed the config and swapped in the Noctua and a 13700KF so hopefully I'm good on the noise - but I will keep this in mind if the wife still thinks I'm noisy... :)
jvitiel View Drop Down

Quote jvitiel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2023 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Tidgxor

@jvitiel In your situation where noise - and by association heat and power consumption - is a prime consideration I'd opt for the 13700kf over the 13900k. The 13900k is a niche processor in general in my opinion. Noctua is certainly the way to go with noise considerations in mind, but the 13900k is just on a whole other level of heat production for comparatively marginal gains for your use-case vs. the 13700kf. Thought it should probably be said that Intel's 13th Gen are just power hungry in general. Lastly, keep in mind that the kf has no integrated graphics, so if your GPU goes you're SOL until you can get a new GPU. As much as I loathe the kf line for that reason I still think the 13700kf would be better than the 13900k for your situation.

Yeah, no built in graphics is not great - but all in all, I agree with you so I'm going with the 13700. Thanks for your input..
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 9:58pm
jvitiel View Drop Down

Quote jvitiel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 8:28am
Just wanted to circle back on this.

I got my PC and its plenty quiet. It's under my desk and I can't hear it unless I really try.

Plenty of power and zips through my Photoshop tasks like it was nothing!

The configuration was spot on and the build quality is perfect. Packaged well and shipped without damage. Was a bit of a wait to get through the build process but I sent an email to support after the standard window expired and it was ready soon after that so all good.

All in all an awesome product and thanks all for your guidance...
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 10:55am
Thanks for the update! Awesome
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 12:58pm
Excellent! You are very welcome.   
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 1:41pm
I have a similar system on order. i7-13700KF, ASUS Maximus Hero, 4080, 64GB of RAM and two M.2 drives. I know the GPU and MOBO are larger than yours, but I went with the 1000W Digital Storm Performance power supply. I would suggest that you think of moving to 850W to give yourself some headroom for down the road.
jvitiel View Drop Down

Quote jvitiel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by John18

I have a similar system on order. i7-13700KF, ASUS Maximus Hero, 4080, 64GB of RAM and two M.2 drives. I know the GPU and MOBO are larger than yours, but I went with the 1000W Digital Storm Performance power supply. I would suggest that you think of moving to 850W to give yourself some headroom for down the road.

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, the system is already in service but I will definitely keep it in mind when its time to upgrade. :-)
mixeycray View Drop Down

Quote mixeycray Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 5:27am
I tend to run hardware into the ground so I try to overbuild it at the beginning to accommodate future growth/demand. Not being an expert, I chose the 13900 just to cover all bases/future needs.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 6:45am
Originally posted by mixeycray

I do the same thing. While I generally can tinker inside the computer, it doesn't mean that I enjoy it. So I overbuild early and ride the wave with my machine.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by mixeycray

Me too. I prefer to overbuild my machines. If you overbuild the CPU, PSU, motherboard, case, and cooling, then you'll likely have that machine for 8 years or so. You can upgrade the GPU every 2 or 3 years to ensure that the latest games run well. Everything else can typically be left alone.

And when it's time to upgrade, just replace the whole thing.
wheels View Drop Down

Quote wheels Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 8:15am

Rather than using the stock DS case fans, I asked them to install Noctua fans. You'll pay a little extra for those, but they are very quiet.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I can't seem where I can PM you to ask a question. I'm concerned about airflow. Are the Noctua fans you asked to replace the stock chassis fans that much better? Are they cooler and quieter? Also, how dis you get the replacement fans?

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 3:27pm
Noctua fans are known for being extra quiet. If you're interested in getting them, I would contact DS directly, and see if they would be willing to substitute Noctua fans for the stock fans.

I ordered my DS machine about two years ago, and back then DS was willing to order the Noctua fans for me, and then install them.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by wheels

Rather than using the stock DS case fans, I asked them to install Noctua fans. You'll pay a little extra for those, but they are very quiet.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I can't seem where I can PM you to ask a question. I'm concerned about airflow. Are the Noctua fans you asked to replace the stock chassis fans that much better? Are they cooler and quieter? Also, how dis you get the replacement fans?

Last year the Noctua fans were an available option on custom built machines. So the logical question is to ask if you already have your machine, if it is currently on order or what? If you have a Configuration for a machine that would also help.

I have a Lumos and have a Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black in it. You need a case with that width for it to fit. The Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black is still an available option for the Lumos.
wheels View Drop Down

Quote wheels Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by John18

Originally posted by wheels

Last year the Noctua fans were an available option on custom built machines. So the logical question is to ask if you already have your machine, if it is currently on order or what? If you have a Configuration for a machine that would also help.

I have a Lumos and have a Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black in it. You need a case with that width for it to fit. The Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black is still an available option for the Lumos.

The Noctua NH-D15 is a CPU heatsink. It's still an option for Lumos and Lnyx. But what I was asking about was replacing the default chassis fans, which are 120mm with the 120mm Noctua chassis fans. JamesAstro mentioned he was able to get DS to do it for me. That's what I want too.

Here is the config I was interested in. Here is the same config, just in the Lumos case.

Edited by wheels - 04 Feb 2024 at 6:21pm
kimnancy View Drop Down

Quote kimnancy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2024 at 2:21am
While the Digital Storm Lumos is generally designed for efficient cooling and low noise, the noise level can depend on various factors like workload, fan settings, and your tolerance. The liquid cooling and standard chassis fans help manage noise. It's likely to be quieter than a traditional air-cooled system. You can also customize fan settings for a balance between performance and noise through the BIOS or software control if available.
PcKiller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote PcKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2024 at 5:56am
I have a 10 year old DS Gaming PC. It has 2 360 Rad in the water loop. They are both setup with Push/pull fans, and then there are 8 more chassis fans in it as well. It run pretty quiet for me when I was using it. Now it is just sitting in a corner gathering dust. LOL

My new one has 1 360 rad with push/pull on it, and 3 other fans also. It too is very quiet. See Sig.

Edited by PcKiller - 29 Feb 2024 at 5:59am
I-5 14600 KF
ASUS Prime Z790-P D5
32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY Beast RGB
SSD M.2 2TB Samsung 990 PRO
RTX 4080 16GB
H20: Stage 3: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 by 1440
 Post Reply Post Reply