FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buying Today/Tomorrow - Complications

Post Date: 2010-06-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dalthius View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Buying Today/Tomorrow - Complications
    Posted: 19 Jun 2010 at 8:58pm
Hi all. I've posted a few times, been waiting for the next big special and now we've got it...but I've hit some snags.

The HAF 932 is too big for my work space (I have a 20" height restriction, though it will not restrict airflow, it's open above that 20"). The Assassin/Fortress is an excellent case (bit longish, though) but incredibly expensive. My goal was to keep my cost around $2200 or so, not counting shipping. The fact that I'm a bit over is not a HUGE issue, but...meh, I'd feel better if it was cheaper. I suppose the biggest conundrum now is the case. The HAF X and 932 are just too tall. If the HAF X was a bit shorter, it would fit, but as of now it'll be restricted by my sliding keyboard shelf.

The room where my computer will be is typically fairly hot (around 80F), so it's important that I have good cooling. The Assassin should offer that.

Is the WD 64mb cache 1 TB drive worth the extra $$$? I haven't heard much about them, really.

Funny thing. I had the below configuration saved (most of it, anyway) in a ticket. If you build this now, it is more expensive, but when I load the ticket, the price is what it was originally. I'm guessing maybe they raised the prices of a few things?

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. While I'm not crazy about the idea, I am willing to consider dropping the SSD and simply buy it later this year when they should be somewhat cheaper; however, I am inclined to go ahead and include it now to save having to bother with it later.

EDIT: I could conceivably re-arrange some items in the room and place the computer on the floor (need a mat or something to keep it off the carpet). Not my first choice, but this WOULD open up the possibility of purchasing a different case like the 932 (blah) or the HAF-X (maybe).

Ticket 416102

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Assassin Edition
Exterior Finish: - Not Available
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Extreme Performance) (Model: SSDSA2MH080G2R5)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD�R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - Not Available
Chassis Mods: - Not Available
Noise Reduction: - Not Available
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: - Not Available
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - Not Available
Office: - Not Available
Benchmarking: - Not Available
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Small)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: FREE PROMO: 4 Year Limited Warranty with Life-Time Customer Support (4 Year Labor & 2 Year Parts)

Edited by Dalthius - 19 Jun 2010 at 9:03pm
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 3:35am
I do not want my post to get lost in the sudden rush, so....
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 5:01am
Originally posted by Dalthius

The HAF 932 is too big for my work space (I have a 20" height restriction, though it will not restrict airflow, it's open above that 20"). The Assassin/Fortress is an excellent case (bit longish, though) but incredibly expensive. My goal was to keep my cost around $2200 or so, not counting shipping. The fact that I'm a bit over is not a HUGE issue, but...meh, I'd feel better if it was cheaper. I suppose the biggest conundrum now is the case. The HAF X and 932 are just too tall. If the HAF X was a bit shorter, it would fit, but as of now it'll be restricted by my sliding keyboard shelf.

The room where my computer will be is typically fairly hot (around 80F), so it's important that I have good cooling. The Assassin should offer that.

Why not just select the HAF 922? The Assassin is an option, and likely quieter than the 922, but it is very expensive.

Is the WD 64mb cache 1 TB drive worth the extra $$$? I haven't heard much about them, really.

That option looks to be $41 more than the generic 1TB drive option. All in all not too great of a price, even the 1.5TB Seagate option is cheaper, but if you want to splurge a little there are worse ways to do it. So up to you on that one.

Funny thing. I had the below configuration saved (most of it, anyway) in a ticket. If you build this now, it is more expensive, but when I load the ticket, the price is what it was originally. I'm guessing maybe they raised the prices of a few things?

I had to hunt around for awhile and load a similar ticket to compare with, but I finally figured it out. For some reason the Assassin case is priced exactly $100 more than it used to be. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that may be a pricing error, because that would put it at quite the staggering price, around 50% over MSRP. We'll have to bring it up and see what Alex says.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. While I'm not crazy about the idea, I am willing to consider dropping the SSD and simply buy it later this year when they should be somewhat cheaper; however, I am inclined to go ahead and include it now to save having to bother with it later.

The Assassin is particularly expensive, I don't recommend it when you're trying to keep the budget down. From your ticket moving down to the HAF 922 would shave off $151. But remember all the little things add up quick too. Go back to the generic 1TB drive selection and drop from Windows 7 Professional to Home Premium and you've knocked off another $73, for an example. Those three changes alone would drop the price from almost $2400 to just $2149.

EDIT: I could conceivably re-arrange some items in the room and place the computer on the floor (need a mat or something to keep it off the carpet). Not my first choice, but this WOULD open up the possibility of purchasing a different case like the 932 (blah) or the HAF-X (maybe).

Why do you blah at the HAF 932?
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 12:06pm
My "blah" at the HAF 932 is an uneducated one-word summation of how exciting that case is to me. There's a part of me that wants something a bit more interesting, I suppose. That's the part of me that doesn't care about value, I'm guessing. I realize the HAF 932 is an exceptional case, but...I like the HAF X over it, mostly for aesthetic reasons. As for the 922? I may have to look into it. The Assassin is a very functional, pleasing, interesting case, but....way expensive.

I'm going to do a little more research on the 1TB 64mb cache WD drive and figure out if it is actually worth the $$. Something tells me it isn't.

Thanks for the excellent (as usual) advice, DS!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 12:15pm

My "blah" at the HAF 932 is an uneducated one-word summation of how exciting that case is to me. There's a part of me that wants something a bit more interesting, I suppose. That's the part of me that doesn't care about value, I'm guessing. I realize the HAF 932 is an exceptional case, but...I like the HAF X over it, mostly for aesthetic reasons. As for the 922? I may have to look into it. The Assassin is a very functional, pleasing, interesting case, but....way expensive.

Blah. (LOL)

I'm going to do a little more research on the 1TB 64mb cache WD drive and figure out if it is actually worth the $$. Something tells me it isn't.

Would probably be more worth it if that was the only drive, but if you get a SSD for OS/apps then the HDD will mostly just be mass media storage. If the budget was bigger it wouldn't really matter and I'd say go for it, but on a smaller budget it's one of the first areas I would select something cheaper.
Lilim
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 12:24pm

Cruzing the net and getting a bit more info on it leads me to agree with you, the 64mb cache WD isn't really worth it, especially when used in combo with a SSD (like you said).

Back to reviewing cases!
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 12:34pm
Did a bit more "research". The HAF 922 fits just BARELY in my work space (19.7" high). Swapped generic 1tb for the WD 1tb. Kept Win 7 Pro. Looking at $2181 plus shipping.....hmmm....
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 1:29pm
I can shave a bit more $$$ off by dropping to a 5870. The benchmarks seem sooo close between the 480 vs 5870. Heating/power consumption are not as bad as everyone originally thought, but is it worth the extra $70 fir PhysX and better fps in some games?

I haven't seen anyone here yet who has experience with BOTH cards pipe up. It's usually only one or the other. I have a feeling the next generation of Nvidia is going to wallop ATI (they'll get heat/power under control, for one thing), but I have no interest in waiting 6 more months to see what's coming!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 1:37pm
Heh, I think you're just trying for the Assassin or HAF-X too hard.

HAF 932 + 480 > HAF-X + 5870.

If you absolutely have to have the looks that badly just splurge some and get both, HAF-X + 480.
Lilim
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 1:43pm
LOL! You may be right, DS. I'm staring at my build screen right now trying to wrap my head around it. I'm better off ditching the HAF-X, it's just a tad too tall. I'm not even sure the Assassin is really worth the moolah.

I appreciate the advice, it's invaluable. I think I just have to do some more staring for a bit.
WardTheSteak View Drop Down

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 1:48pm
Truly you will have all you need with the 5870, the 480 is a heated unnecessary also depending on the size and resolution you will be gaming at.   If you truly want the Assassin or Haf-X stick with the 5870 and then you're gaming and aesthetics will be satisfied.  Also, idk about Nvidia walloping Ati.  Ati has already released its new architecture that could hit anywhere from September to December so I truly believe Nvidia will recieve the walloping.  But, you never know the new ATI architecture could have some issues like Fermi did, yet for some reason I just don't see that happening.
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 1:59pm
After even MORE measuring, the only case options I can take at this point (without putting the damn thing on the floor) are the Assassin or HAF 922 (or size equivalent). I'd like to maximize the use of my space so putting the case on the floor is something I'd really like to avoid. The HAF-X is out (I like that case!), the 932 is out (which was probably my best option, really). The 922 is still an excellent case. The Assassin is beautiful. The 922 is going to require a little bit of modification (put in a few extra filters, maybe). I'll post up my final config soon.

Thanks all!
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 2:22pm
Here we go, folks. Final draft of my configuration. I went with Win 7 Pro over Home, still uncertain if I'd ever use the XP....I do, however, have a TON of old games, though I'm not entirely sure I'd ever play them again. I may remove it before purchasing. Went with the Assassin and the 5870 (I know DS, I know...don't kill me). My gaming room is excessively HOT all the time (getting a ceiling fan soon to counteract that). The Assassin is very quiet (important to me) and has outstanding cooling capability. I'm asking them to use the non-window version (window is on the right side, which will be placed against the side of my desk, so...pointless).

Any last minute comments, go for it. My intention is to click "buy" before I go out tonight.

Ticket Number: 416324
Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,262.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=416324

Specifications:
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Extreme Performance) (Model: SSDSA2MH080G2R5)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: FREE PROMO: 4 Year Limited Warranty with Life-Time Customer Support (4 Year Labor & 2 Year Parts)
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 2:32pm

Any last minute comments, go for it. My intention is to click "buy" before I go out tonight.

Last minute suggestions? Sure thing.

Have you considered the HAF 922 and the GTX 480? LOL

The HAF 922 comes with dust filters. And like, $151 taped to the side of it.
Lilim
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 2:45pm
DS, you slick little bastard....

I can understand your suggestion about the 922, certainly...but are you really that much of an advocate of the GTX 480? Bonus is, you get Just Cause 2, which is an "ok" game...plus PhysX. I hear the new drivers are exceptional, as well, and the heat/power issues are not really "issues", per se.

Edited by Dalthius - 20 Jun 2010 at 2:50pm

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 9:10pm
He's an undercover Nvidia salesman!  Beware!  Jk! LOL  Lol, well they are both good cards, however one is more efficient.  It's like this, one you can play hot potatoe with the other you can't.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 10:19pm
For a resolution of 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 I definitely always suggest the 480 first and foremost. At that resolution the 480 handles every game currently out at max settings except for 2-3, like Crysis and Metro 2033. But not even dual SLI 480s can max those two so don't even bother, they're just not optimized in the least.

At that same resolution there are is a large and growing number of games the 5870 simply can not handle. Seeing as there are already a significant amount of games the 5870 falls to pieces on, and as more heavy demand DX11 games come out there will be that many more, I don't recommend cutting down to a 5870 unless someone is on an extremely tight budget and can't really make any cost efficient cuts anywhere else in the build.
Lilim
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 11:25pm

I'm gaming at 1920x1200, not on an "extremely" tight budget, but I do cringe as it gets closer to $2500. $70 is not a HUGE difference price wise, but if the measurable performance is that much better than the 5870 then the 480 certainly seems to be the way to go.

No, I'm NOT a fan of the 922, I like my gadgets, but I'm not going to sell myself short on a GPU just so I can get a "fancy" case like the Fortress.

I have more staring to do.

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 11:39pm
Fill me in here what games does the 5870 actually crumble at, and the most gains i've really seend with the 480 anywhere was like around 10-15 %.  Also  I can max crysis completely out on my computer no problem with 2x 5870's.  I just haven't seen anything that shows the 5870 crumbling at 1900x1200 or 1920x1080 resolutions. I mean there's even some games the 5870 does better at than the 480. 
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 11:44pm
Ward, are you taking into account the newest drivers for the 480? I've heard it does wonders. The #s appear to be in favor of the 480, as long as you are comfortable with the heat/power.

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 11:45pm
Actually the 5870 can handle even crysis at a 2560x1600 resolution, so idk where you're getting that they fall apart at 1900x1200 resolutions they are made to take on high resolutions. 

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 11:46pm
Yes I know the numbers are in favor of the 480, but what I'm saying is I know nothing of the 5870 crumbling under any game atm.  So, I don't think it's necessary under a budget to upgrade to the 480.
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 11:51pm
As for me, I only know what I read, I have no hands-on with either card. I haven't heard anything bad about the 5870 off hand, whereas the 480 everyone complains about the heat/power/noise, though I don't really believe that is truly much of an issue.

For me it really comes down to how long the card is going to last me. I think the 480 has the potential to be more long-term than the 5870, but again, I really don't know.

MY issue is the CASE. I can't wrap my head around which one is right for me, though it appears I can't really go wrong with the 922. The 932 and HAF-X are simply too tall.

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 11:59pm

Haha well as for the case, I'm not sure.  I know the 922 is a great case, but I've heard some good things about the assassin.  Plus, it just looks great lol.  Yet, that is completely up to you man.  If you want the assassin then you'd probably be better off getting the 5870.  But, if you go with the 922 that could give you the budget room for the 480.  All I was saying is I haven't heard anything about the 5870 crumbling under high resolutions, I mean its meant to take on high resolutions.  I've seen many benchmarks showing it handling 2560z1600 resolutions no problem.  So don't let that deter you from getting it.  However, I cannot say how long either will last, I mean you have to think that somewhere down the road the heat issues might make the 480 less durable but then again I'm not sure.  Just know that I'm happy with my 5870's, I've been able to handle everything thrown at me thus far.  No complaints, but the 480 is undeniably the better card. 

Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 12:43am
This is what I've got now, only change is I'm going with the HAF 922 instead of the Assassin. Saves $150.

Figured I'd go with the 480, should last me a long time gaming-wise. HAF 922 shouldn't have much of a problem keeping it cool...though it will be in a rather hot room.

Ticket Number: 416503
Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,350.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=416503

Specifications:
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 11:32am
A few things have changed pricewise on the site, so I'm changing along with it. Are there any recommendations/advice for when you place a case on a carpeted floor? Do you recommend putting down a board or a mat of some kind?
coolmasta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote coolmasta Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 11:56am
Yup put it on a board or go to home depot and buy a few tiles. Also if the temp in your room is hot the case fans are pretty much going to be blowing around hot air. Heh just another thought for you, may wanna reconsider the 5870
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 12:02pm

This is going to be my first "top tier" computer, so I'm not sure what is considered hot. The typical temp in my computer room is around 80F.

I'm looking real hard at the HAF 922, if I get that it can fit in the bay on my desk. The front ot the case kinda sucks, and it's a pain to get to the one air filter, but otherwise it seems like a overall good case. The HAF X and Fortress are just too much case for what I need...I mean, jeez, they are huge! I'm not going SLI/Crossfire, nor do I intend to, and I'm not going LC, so...yeah, I think they are overkill.

I've seen some custom filters for the 922, but they run about $50, almost seems as if they are not worth it. I'm leaning towards the 922 but I've got to find something to do about those intake fans sucking in dust.
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 3:43pm
I'm changing AGAIN, yeah, I know. Going for the 5870. I finally got to experience the GTX 480 and that thing is just WAY too damned loud for my preference. I'm not trying to build the ultimate SILENT machine, but the 480 is just ridiculous.

Going this route (I opted for the 922...Dragoon, hopefully that at least satisfies you!) allows me a bit more flexibility after purchase. I run a 7.1 speaker system, so I may opt for a soundcard down the line if I'm not satisfied with what I have. That, or I can probably pull my soundcard of my old computer...hmm....didn't think about that!

I've got about 12 hours to purchase this bad boy...

Ticket Number: 416667
Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,111.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=416667

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - HAF 922
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 3:59pm
Lemme settle the 5870/480 debate, lol. The 5870 is the 480 without ridiculous heat and power usage. HOWEVER. The 480 has something the 5870 does NOT have. PHYSX. OooooooOOOooo. So, you can pay more to get PhysX and a heat/power gremlin, or, save money overall with a 5870. :D
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 4:13pm
Well...I just bought the above system :)

It's not too late to make changes. I debated on upgrading to the 64mb cache WD hard drive, but it doesn't seem worth the $$ according to the reviews. I couldn't think of anything else to add, so....there you have it!

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't buy it...the damn website went down when I clicked "place order". Guess I'll have to give them a call!

Edited by Dalthius - 21 Jun 2010 at 4:18pm
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 4:16pm
MAYbe shouldve opted for WD's 32MB 1TB at least. Seagate and Hitachi have a nice little rep with failing drives, lol. WD's rep is nearly untarnished.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 4:19pm
Well then I guess it is fortuitous that the website wouldn't let me complete my order! Do you feel the extra $$$ is worth it for the 64mb cache WD? I hear it cannot be used in RAID, but then again I don't plan to go RAID....
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by ablahblah

Lemme settle the 5870/480 debate, lol. The 5870 is the 480 without ridiculous heat and power usage. HOWEVER. The 480 has something the 5870 does NOT have. PHYSX. OooooooOOOooo. So, you can pay more to get PhysX and a heat/power gremlin, or, save money overall with a 5870. :D

Or you could just drop the fanboy sh*t and stick to the facts. Don't pull that kind of sh*t with other people's money, there are fewer things that tick me off more. You give them the facts and let them decide which is better for themselves, you don't post misinformation to try to sway fool people into buying one brand over another just because you like it more. Fanboys posting misinformation or swaying your option is what you made you waste money on a VelociRaptor, and how did you feel about how that money down the drain turned out?

Luckily neither the 5870 or the 480 are a bad buy, however one can manage things the other can't and if someone gets swayed into buying a 5870 by fanboys and/or just because it is cheaper, only to later find out the hard way it doesn't have enough power for their chosen resolution and games I would imagine they would be rightly disappointed.

Gaming power wise, the tiers go 5850 < 470 < 5870 < 480

I could pull benchmarks if need be, but I shouldn't have to waste my time, you can take 30 minutes to Google "GTX 480 review" your own god damn self, it isn't hard. The 480 has always had a baseline of around 10-20% more power than a 5870, even before the improved drivers that came out recently. In some games the 5870 can keep up with the 480, this is usually with games and settings that both can do over 60FPS so it is pretty moot either way. In some games, or higher settings of some games, the 480 often pulls ahead significantly. Sometimes not significantly but enough to hit the silky smooth 50-60FPS zone where as the 5870 will lag behind in the choppy 30-40 zone.

The fact is, there are already a number of games out that to play at silky smooth frame rates at a resolution of 1920x1200 or higher with a 5870 you will have to turn the settings down, and there are more games coming out in the future that will also have this problem. The 480 has no such problem with 1920x1200, the only games at that resolution that it can't play with silky smooth frame rates and maxed out graphic settings are a few horribly optimized games like Crysis and Metro 2033. It takes 3x liquid cooled and extremely overclocked 5870s or 2x liquid cooled and extremely overclocked 480s to max those two games, so don't even bother trying. There are also a few games that require video cards with more than 1GB of RAM to max out the textures on, you just flat out can't max those out with a 5870 or even three 5870s, you would need a video card with more RAM such as the 470, 480, or 2GB version of the 5870. But considering the 2GB version of the 5870 is the same price or even more expensive than a 480, while also being less powerful, that would be poor choice.

See this thread for specific numbers on how much extra per month it will cost to run a 480 over a 5870. At the national average of ~$0.11 per kilowatt hour it would cost an extra $8.35 a month to run a 480 at full load for 31 days straight, or $2.29 to run it at idle for 31 days straight. And if you're not retarded and turn your 1000w+ PC off when you aren't using it instead of leaving it on 24/7 to jack up the power bill for mommy and daddy then the difference is even less yet.

Heat isn't an issue per se, mine only hits a max of 79°C at 79% fan speed, but running warmer means its fan will run faster which means more noise. But I assure you all high end video cards sound like a jet taking off when under load, including the 5870. Small fans at high RPMs just do that. It can't be helped unless you liquid cool your cards.

And yes, the 480 also has PhysX, but I don't even factor this in because not many games use it.
Lilim
Dalthius View Drop Down

Quote Dalthius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 6:43pm
I just had the opportunity to listen to a 5870 at load. Yeah, it's pretty friggin' loud, too. They both are. I'll say the 480 is definitely louder, but really, you can't ignore either of them so it's a moot point.

Right now for me it comes down to heat. While I'm certain the card is not going to blow up on me sitting in a HAF 922, I will be in a hot ass room. However, I'm not willing to trade off exceptional performance just to keep things a little cooler.

I've put in my order, I'm going to have a few discussions with the techs and see what I can do in regards to the 5870/480 debacle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>