FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Camera Question (Advise Needed)

Post Date: 2010-11-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
maintyper View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote maintyper Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Camera Question (Advise Needed)
    Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 11:39am
Well since many of you were very helpful during the selection of my computer, I thought I would post this question here and see what you all think.

I have been using a Nikon S600 pocket camera for the last couple of years and I would say I have been happy with about 90% of the pictures since I have figured out how to use it correctly and it's limitations. It broke, the lens is having errors and it will not zoom in or out anymore, along with a couple of other annoying issues. So I am in the market for a new camera as it were. I have been looking at the Sony H55 camera with the isweep panoramic which looks really cool, and the lens looks bigger than the Nikon's was. The reviews on Amazon look good, mostly 5-star. I could probably get it on sale somewhere for about $199 (Best Buy had it at this price thanksgiving weekend). I am very comfortable with the Nikon and have found a factory refurbished one for $82.00

I am leaning towards getting another Nikon S600 since I already have a couple of extra batteries and a good charger I bought seperately some time ago

So to my question, what are your thoughts concerning a refurbished Camera? Do you think it is a safe way to go until I save money for a much better camera?

I really appriciate you comments. Big%20Smile
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 12:23pm
If you can save up, I recommend getting a DSLR.
maintyper View Drop Down

Quote maintyper Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 2:08pm
A DSLR would be awesome, but those can cost into the thousands and I already spent my thousand and 2/3rds at Digital storm for my incredible new computer...Excited
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 3:51pm
Hi maintyper,

I suggest you visit DPreview.com. You will be able to read reviews and get recommendations from camera folks.

Frank
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 2:08am
Well, you could try to a Nikon S8100. I looked over at their pag, packs 10x zoom and a nifty CMOS sensor on it, not sure at all whether it does RAW or not. There was one other Nikon Coolpix that would actually capture RAW, dunno if Nikon would incorporate it into this model or not. Anyways, on amazon it's $234 right now.

I have used Sony's panaroma sweep,  and it functions, definitely, save for the accelerometer sometimes just craping out on you and misreading your turns, but you really shouldn't justify a camera purchase on a single feature.

Edited by ablahblah - 30 Nov 2010 at 2:09am
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Landaulet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Landaulet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 12:25pm

EOS Rebel T2i EF-S 18-55mm IS Kit

It's a very good entry level DSLR

Estimated Retail Price: $899.99

But I've seen it as low at $700

MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 12:56pm
EOS Rebel XSi  is doing wonders for me Big%20Smile And should have the price tag a lot lower since they have released some newer models.  (I will be using the Rebel for documenting my DSO Rig....if/when it ever gets shipped out.)

Pricing for the camera with the 55mm lens is between 400 and 575
and the auto-stabilized EFS 17-85 lens can be had for around $400
for totally awesome steady pictures.

Edited by MagiK - 01 Dec 2010 at 1:02pm
bronzdragon View Drop Down

Quote bronzdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 7:52am
I'll just repeat what's been said above.  I guess it all depends on what type of photography you are into.  If you just need to be able to take a camera with you out and about and grab quick snapshots to remember things by, a small camera is ok as long as you know it's limitations.  Some of the pocket cameras out now are awesome....I have my Cannon PowerShot SD1400IS for that. 

But if you want to get creative and have more control over your photos...also if you want to get quicker shots, more accurate light and autofocus control and the ability to change lenses for different utility ... go with a DSLR.

I've been using a Canon Digital Rebel x1i for a few years now and love it.  In fact the x2i is out now also.  I know you can get the x1i for about $700ish U.S. with 50mm lens and that's a great buy.

Just like picking out the proper computer for your purposes, the same thing applies to cameras.  Maybe an slr is overkill for your uses ... but since you bought a computer from DS ... I'm figuring you're into a little overkill...Drooling

~r~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."
maintyper View Drop Down

Quote maintyper Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 4:02pm
I ended up going with the Nikon S600 refurbished. It works great and I am still happy with the quality of pictures it gives me. Thanks so much for all the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply