FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can I add a second harddrive to my current build?

Post Date: 2019-09-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
halfface01 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote halfface01 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Can I add a second harddrive to my current build?
    Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 2:33pm
This is the model I have from digital storm:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm VANQUISH 7
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (8-Core) (Boost Up to 4.3 GHz)
Motherboard: ASUS / MSI (AMD A320M Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 600W Digital Storm Performance Series (Supports up to an NVIDIA RTX 2070 GPU)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: External USB - DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Digital Storm Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E ASUS PCE-AC56 (Supports 802.11ac)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 1: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)

My question is, can I add a second hard drive to my system with the power supply I have now? Will it be enough to sustain a second harddrive and will the system be fine? Was planning to get a 4T second harddrive along with what I have now as storage
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 8:26pm

Your build list does not identify the actual model and brand A320m motherboard DS used, but I’m pretty sure you should have no trouble adding another hard drive.   You should ask DS what mobo you have and look up all the features of the board and review the location of the SATA III Drive ports.

There should be several open SATA III 6 gbps drive ports on the motherboard to choose from, and it didn’t look like you have an M.2 SSD yet so you should have an open M.2 Drive port on the motherboard as well.     Power should be fine, but when you do upgrade your graphics card one day you will need to pay attention to the minimum system PSU wattage requirement of the GPU you select.    600w is considered a small sized PSU these days, and there are some GPU’s would require more power headroom.

There are two kinds of the new M.2 SSD...normal M.2 SATA III SSD drives, and the 5 times faster M.2 NVME SSD Drives.     About the size of a pocket comb, these lay flat and plug in on one end to a port on the motherboard, and a single screw secures the other end down to the board.      
 Post Reply Post Reply