FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can I Buy an Alienware Computer From DS?

Post Date: 2007-09-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
4261 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote 4261 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Can I Buy an Alienware Computer From DS?
    Posted: 01 Sep 2007 at 1:10am
Well, can I?
[Clint Eastwood]
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2007 at 11:14pm
no?
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Dave View Drop Down

Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2007 at 12:14am
yes not to criticize but Alienware is way to over priced but DS is not =)
X-Fire: OddityX1337
Yahoo: l33tz0rz1337
Rick Rolled Son!
GruntMaster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GruntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2007 at 12:33am
Originally posted by 4261

Well, can I?
[Clint Eastwood]

You can, but why would you???

My brother-in-law bought a new Alienware comp for about $5K...I just bought one from DS for under $2k and our systems run about the same...performance wise.

His processor is a Core 2 Duo 2.9 and mine is a 2.66 overclocked to 2.8 
His GPU is 2 Nvidia 7950's 512MB and I have a single 8800 GTS 320MB

Other than that everything else spec's out the same...I can't figure out how anyone would buy an Alienware at those prices. The cases maybe really different, but their case really isn't that great...unless you're hot for aliens.

I'd seriously be kicking myself if I had bought a PC from Alienware and not from Digital Storm...for one main reason...VALUE. I actually was kicking my self for buying a pc from Cyberpower just to save a few bucks, but what a night mare! I actually lucked out and got a refund for that pos and I took my dough to Digital Storm.

Thank God for Digital Storm Clap
E6850 [email protected]
nVidia 680i LT
750W Thermaltake
250GB HD
2GB DDR2 Corsair 800Mhz XMS2
GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
srl50 View Drop Down

Quote srl50 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2007 at 12:56am
Well said GruntMaster . . .
Never stop being a kid.

Q6600
8800 GTX 768
R-dawg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote R-dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2007 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by GruntMaster

Thank God for Digital Storm Clap

QFT!
In case of doubt, make it sound convincing.
Crulend View Drop Down

Quote Crulend Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2007 at 3:16pm
If you mean, can you buy a computer as good as an Alienware from DS, the answer is no.  But, you can buy a better one..  :P
67alecto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote 67alecto Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2007 at 11:33pm
I was enamored of the cases from Alienware for a long time, but ultimately, I needed to get two things:

Value
Stability

I get a good discount at Dell through work, and my current 3 computers are all from Dell.  Between my two XP machines, I have over 80,000 hours of uptime with only one past problem (failed power supply) and one current problem of a dying disc drive (current 3mb/s write speed currently).

I wrestled long and hard on what to order...I want my CPUs to last, and Dell had proven that it could provide that.  But I'm also tired of the bloatware and the not-quite-top-of-the-line parts that they offer.  So, based on the enormous amount of positive things I read, I ended up choosing DS.

For the exact same price (withing $40) as an XPS 720 from Dell, I can get a CPU with better components and a longer warranty.  In the last few weeks, Dell thickened the plot by suddenly offering 800mhz and even OC'd 1066mhz RAM.  Here was my final side-by-side comparison:

Headrush View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Headrush Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 12:29am
I could write volumes about Alienware's quality/customer service, but for now I just wanted to ease your mind about the Alienware case.  The quality for one, is terrible.  It's VERY thin plastic, which breaks easily. 

Venting is an absolute nightmare.  I bought my last Alienware desktop with CPU liquid cooling.  Because of the size of the liquid cooling unit, air was severely restricted to the video cards.  As a result, in less than 3 months, both of my 7900 GTs started artifacting and ultimately died.  I promptly ripped off the liquid cooling unit, voided my warranty, and installed a Zalmanon the processor.  No problems since.

The most ingenius part of the liquid cooling unit was that Alienware soldered it closed.  It could only be refilled by sending the entire computer back to Alienware, which I was not prepared to do.  I live at high altitude, so obviously the liquid evaporated more rapidly, and the CPU heated up as well as a result.

On the bright side, Alienware replaced the 2x 7900 GTs with 2x 7950 512 MB models, which was a substantial step-up, for free. 
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 1:08am
You made the right choice! I like how you made a chart to decide. Pure genius.

Originally posted by 67alecto

I was enamored of the cases from Alienware for a long time, but ultimately, I needed to get two things:

Value
Stability

I get a good discount at Dell through work, and my current 3 computers are all from Dell.  Between my two XP machines, I have over 80,000 hours of uptime with only one past problem (failed power supply) and one current problem of a dying disc drive (current 3mb/s write speed currently).

I wrestled long and hard on what to order...I want my CPUs to last, and Dell had proven that it could provide that.  But I'm also tired of the bloatware and the not-quite-top-of-the-line parts that they offer.  So, based on the enormous amount of positive things I read, I ended up choosing DS.

For the exact same price (withing $40) as an XPS 720 from Dell, I can get a CPU with better components and a longer warranty.  In the last few weeks, Dell thickened the plot by suddenly offering 800mhz and even OC'd 1066mhz RAM.  Here was my final side-by-side comparison:

xtro666 View Drop Down

Quote xtro666 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 3:15am
alienware my horror story....5 years ago bought a alienware all exicted at the time open up turn on yeah here we go last computer ill ill ever have to buy...get blue screen of death on boot up wtf call  alienware guy answers have no idea what he sayin  like what out of 10 words can undersatnd 3 in english so ok..took hours  for simple problem  cuz i i dont speak  or understand  may have been wookie but  finally  got  machine runnin  it was a was agp  i totally modded my self drilled holes added fans etc ..the alienware case was about the best thing   ....so her i am am  hopeing looking to buy again  hopeing ds guys arnt part wookie or live  on cat man doo speak some weird  euroasian dialge with a litte goat in there ..any way do me right seen you on http://www.resellerratings.com/
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2007 at 9:51pm
Give us a call, you will hear the difference. Talk to us about what you want, you will notice we know what we are talking about it. Purchase from us, you won't regret it. When the system arrives and you fire it up and play your games, you'll be a customer for life.
Vjzzerdrjx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Vjzzerdrjx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2007 at 12:21pm
That, Alex, is the truth. Thumbs%20Up
Dave View Drop Down

Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2007 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by xtro666

alienware my horror story....5 years ago bought a alienware all exicted at the time open up turn on yeah here we go last computer ill ill ever have to buy...get blue screen of death on boot up wtf call  alienware guy answers have no idea what he sayin  like what out of 10 words can undersatnd 3 in english so ok..took hours  for simple problem  cuz i i dont speak  or understand  may have been wookie but  finally  got  machine runnin  it was a was agp  i totally modded my self drilled holes added fans etc ..the alienware case was about the best thing   ....so her i am am  hopeing looking to buy again  hopeing ds guys arnt part wookie or live  on cat man doo speak some weird  euroasian dialge with a litte goat in there ..any way do me right seen you on http://www.resellerratings.com/

Yes everyone at DS speaks English so no worries, maybe even wookie =\
X-Fire: OddityX1337
Yahoo: l33tz0rz1337
Rick Rolled Son!
Phreak View Drop Down

Quote Phreak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2007 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by xtro666

...may have been wookie...

LMAO, that made my night.
Core 2 Quad Q6600 OC @ 2.7Ghz
2GB DDR2 Corsair 800Mhz XMS2