FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can I Case and Graphics Card swap?

Post Date: 2022-07-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
crispy9492 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote crispy9492 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Can I Case and Graphics Card swap?
    Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 4:08pm
I bought a Lynx from digital storm almost 3 years ago. It was the ultimate configuration at the time and Im just curious if it possible to put a 3070/3080 or better into it....also Im curious if i can do a case swap to the "Carbide SPEC-06 RGB" case by corsair without any issues. I have never done a case swap or graphics card swap in my entire life. So I just want to make sure here with everyone before going and doing it

My entire spec List below:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx - Level 4 (MPN-9700F-2070S-120MM)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700F (4.7 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.0 GHz (Not Overclockable)
Motherboard: ASUS / MSI / ASRock (Intel Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 600W Digital Storm Performance Series (Supports up to an NVIDIA RTX 2070 GPU)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 1: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Single Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Digital Storm Performance Series (RGB Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)

Edited by crispy9492 - 22 Jul 2022 at 11:28pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 4:56am
The parenthesis after your power supply tells the story. You'll need a better one even if you stay in the same case. Nvidia recommends at least 650W for a 3070, but I would bump that up. I recommend an 850W to allow for a 3080 or better in future. It's unlikely you'll ever need any more than that for this build.

A case swap would require a re-wiring of all the parts to the motherboard anyway, so it's not any extra work. That's a time-consuming and plenty detailed project you're proposing, but it's doable. IMHO you will have a heck of a learning experience, and may get a lot out of it. Make sure you take plenty of pics and maybe use some kind of tags to aid your rewiring. The new case will have its own fan and power button wiring (assuming it will come with fans) so pay attention to where they should go on your board. You should be able to move the mobo with the CPU and RAM intact, but the GPU will almost certainly have to come out. It'll be too heavy and get in the way.

It's going to amount to almost a build-from-scratch, so have a look at a current Lynx with a 3070 already in it and other better parts including a very good CPU. It just might seem a pretty good deal compared to what you may have to spend for a 3070 at retail. Just a thought.    
crispy9492 View Drop Down

Quote crispy9492 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 7:27pm
Im more so trying to do a case swap sooner than doing a ghaphics card upgrade. I just want to make sure all the components from my current build can be switched over to the Carbide SPEC-06 RGB by Corsair without any problems(like fitting and space) I just want to be able to trust myself to try and do it as well and if im being honest im very nervous to do so. Its my only PC

Intel Core i7-9700F (4.7 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.0 GHz (Not Overclockable)

MotherBoard: Asustek Prime H310M-E R2.0

Edited by crispy9492 - 23 Jul 2022 at 7:49pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 4:37am
Why don't you purchase the hardware piece by piece and build a separate system? You keep mentioning that this is the only pc you have and a lot can go wrong and even if it doesn't why risk it?

Cretae mentions moving the mobo with RAM and cpu installed but what about the cpu cooler? I'd keep it on but again more things tat can go wrong.

I don't know about taking pictures since you are migrating all to a new case and it comes with a lot of the wiring already. What you need is your mobo's manual to follow the steps. As to the case you mention, it only comes with 2x120mm fans so you'll need more. I don't know the Lynx's fan size.

It is a very satisfying project when done and operating. It is a very frustrating project when it will not post.

Good luck and let us know what you do.
Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 4:45am
The two cases are very close to the same size, so everything will fit. You'll want to upgrade the PSU before you swap, so you don't have to re-wire everything from the PSU twice.

This is not the easiest thing to do, especially for a novice, but it will be a great learning experience. There's lots that can go wrong if you're not very careful. Electronics are twitchy and hard to diagnose when they don't work. I'd feel better for you if you could get help from someone around you that may have built their own rig at some point, or replaced a mobo/CPU. The GPU upgrade is pretty simple in comparison.

I'm not gonna say "don't" because we all started somewhere in acquiring some build/replacement skills. Just be sure you have confidence you have some mechanical aptitude to figure out where parts go and how they're attached to each other. Then go slow, be careful when you handle everything, and get an anti-static wrist strap and wear it!

If you don't break anything in transit, (not that easy to do) you should be fine. Take lots of pics of the set-up so you can compare everything when done. The two cases are almost exactly the same size, so everything should look very much like the pics. Good luck!   
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 4:47am
lol

Cretae was writing at the same time. Different version but same caveat.

Post Reply Post Reply