Post Date: 2008-04-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: case mod, tips/ideas?
    Posted: 27 Apr 2008 at 9:07pm
so in analyzing my case a little more, ive come to realize that the design is pretty lacking. they really did have the right idea, but there are some obvious flaws im interested in correcting.
The specs:
120mm scythe front intake
120mm scythe rear exhaust (specs:)
SFF21F
120x120x25mm
1,600rpm
28.0dBA
63.7CFM
0.20A
80mm raidmax side intake

First off you can see here:

the intake is behind this set of 12 inchish diameter cuts, with the whole rest of the case being open air this made little to ZERO sense to me, not to mention... the door closes right over it...

(ignore the red/green) you can see here that this poor little front intake fan has to pull air though the front door, through the little slots, THEN when its acually trying to get the cool air into the case the HD bays are blocking that too!!!

My ideas so far are:
mouting http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185020 in my 3 left over 5.25 bays, however I'm reading that the stock fan is pretty weak and that most just replace it by buying -another- fan to put in there.
So, my idea was to get another SFF21F scythe fan to place in the bay bracket, then take the stock fan from the bracket and mount it in the top of the case, as an exhaust fan; may also grab a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185060 instead, ive read very good things about this
*(side note, seems like several reviews say the SFF21F is loud... maybe im used to a loud computer, but i have 2 of these already and i have 0 complaint about the noise.)

The only hang up left here is that the door on the front of the case still really muffles the incoming airflow, so I guess i can either take it off or just leave it open all the time... I guess I could also run some benchmarks opened and closed and see if i can tell any difference.

one more random question, im not sure what the procedure is supposed to be if theres a limit to the amount of fans or something, but do all of these hook to the mobo or should i get some sort of "fan controller", im not sure how nessisary these are or if they are just a gimmick

Edited by !ender_ - 27 Apr 2008 at 9:22pm
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2008 at 11:35pm

thumbing through some cases on newegg in the 80-150 range, it seems like these things are designed to make you buy higher.. it seems like every case that has an intake on the front has it completely blocked by the hard drive bays! how does this make any sense?

then theres the cases that are acually decent, but have the PSU in the BOTTOM of the back! so all the hot air can rise across your mobo/gpu/processor??  this has been a wierd night
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 12:35am
I believe the thought process is that it would be very bad not to have some active cooling on the HDD's and that at stock speeds, the air flow provided by that single exhaust fan should be sufficient for cooling the CPU and other system components. Bottom mounted PSU's generally lend themselves better to liquid cooled systems, leaving the top of the case free for radiators/fans. For example: Cooler Master Centurion.

The idea behind the 2 fan layout you see in mid priced cases:
   <--- |                                    |
          |                                    |
          |                                    |<---
          -------------------------------

If you look at it like this, you see that the air is in theory drawn through the entire case before it can exit. This means every component in the case gets at least some air. In practice, this works to varying degrees because of components use, front panel design, and wire routing. I think some of the new Silverstone cases are very promising. The Kublai KL03 is about $150 after MIR, putting it at the top of the price range you're looking at, but it does appear to offer a very solid feature set for a sub $200 case. Maybe the 750i could use an update to one of these newer models.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 11:54pm
after some more thinking about it today i think id be best off with just a few little mods to the case that I have, while its entirely possible that a new case would cool better, i think i would learn more working on my current, so im thinking that the 5.25x3 mount with a "slipstream" fan in it, then mounting the weak stock fan from that as a verticle exhaust will be a strong improvement.

*on a side note* i really do like both of your pics, i can always count on you for those creative finds. persoanlly i was looking strongly into the XCLIO turbine but the reviews were not over-impressing me. I also liked the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133154 a lot and still may consider it

Edited by !ender_ - 28 Apr 2008 at 11:58pm
 Post Reply Post Reply