FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Case questions??

Post Date: 2010-07-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JAMMER1 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JAMMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Case questions??
    Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 8:20am
I am finally and financially ready to buy a DS Beast, but I have a question on witch case to get.

My build will be expensive, going with the the 980x overclocked 4+, solid state drive primary,10000rpm storage, duel 480s, water cooling of course, 1200 silent PS. Will be pushing a 30inch monitor @max res.

I like the Corsair case but hate the rads hanging out the back of case, I saw a work around in another post, remove HD bay and locate fans there but that sounds like allot grief. The Assasian is a interesting case but I havent seen any pics of one really tricked out. Also I dont know if it can handle all of the hardware I have planned.

Anyone have any ideas? I know you do!   Frustrated
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 8:51am
just depends on what kind of lc power youre talking about, sadly, this is a very space hungry method, to the best of my knowledge, neither the hailstorm or the assassin would need any special mods for a triple rad, but if youre looking to spend as much money as it looks like, just ask us to pick a case for you and you can have it sent to DSO for them to build inside for you

just post in configs what youre looking for LC-wise, the rest of your needs and we will find a case for you if the hailstorm isnt big enough
JAMMER1 View Drop Down

Quote JAMMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 9:14am
It would be a Stage 6. proc, duel vcards and chipset..
JAMMER1 View Drop Down

Quote JAMMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 9:20am
The Hailstorm would be the obvious choice, just hate the rads hanging out the back of case. Sound would be another issue, i'd want it as quiet as possible. The Assasian isnt a bad case I just dont know if it would have the space for the LCing and how it would be configured.

Here is the link I was talking about in the above post.       

Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 9:42am
Originally posted by JAMMER1

10000rpm storage

I'm all for a beastly machine if you want to spend the money, but no need to throw away money needlessly.

Never never never bother with VelociRaptor HDDs. A 1TB 7200RPM 32MB drive has quite literately 90% of the speed of the fastest VelociRaptor model, while also having way more space and being a faction of the cost. Spend a few extra bucks for a 64MB cache version and then you're up to within 5% of the speed of the fastest VelociRaptor model. With HDD numbers 5-10% is almost nothing, you'll never notice the difference between the two and they all pale so much compared to SSDs it is silly.

I don't care how much money you have to spend on a machine, a VelociRaptor is never worth it, just get a 32-64MB cache 1TB HDD and spend the hundreds of dollars you saved on more SSD space instead.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
JAMMER1 View Drop Down

Quote JAMMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 10:00am
yea just read a heated post (no pun intended) in another post. my look at the caviar drive..
JAMMER1 View Drop Down

Quote JAMMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 10:56am
This is what I have so far, The case is really the only issue...

Ticket Number: 419135
Total Price with Instant Savings: $6,168.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=419135

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Assassin Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 3.33GHz (Hexa-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator with DHX Extreme Edition
Power Supply: 1200W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (128GB Solid State (By: Corsair Nova Series) (Model: CSSD-V128GB2-BRKT)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Optical Drive 2: Blu-Ray Writer/Reader (Burn Blu-Ray discs and play them)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards & Chipset
H20 Tube Color:White Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 3: Overclock the processor between 4.2GHz to 4.4GHz (Requires i7 980X Processor)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Xtra Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 2 Year Hassel Free Hardware Service
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 11:14am
The Assassin/Fortress 2 mounts rads at the bottom 180mm fans, yes, right there. Pretty stupid place in my opinion, and that leaves you with a maximum rad capacity of one double, one single, with no exterior mount (I think). If you particularly like the vertical design though, the Raven 1 supports one internal single rad, and exterior rads, but again, that's exterior.
You know, I guess with some tweaking, you might be able to possibly achieve this with a Lian-Li PC-80....As in, one dual rad up top, and use two of the front intake fans as outtakes and mount another rad there.....it's an option...right?

For your config, unless you're a true diehard asus user, EVGA's boards is what most are familiar here, and seem to be pretty dang rock solid...FTW3 supports USB 3.0 and SATA III too...Also, Intel SSDs still beat everything out there. Sure, sandforce drives can beat it, but nothing beat's the stability of Intel SSDs at the moment.

Edited by ablahblah - 01 Jul 2010 at 11:16am
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
claude5382 View Drop Down

Quote claude5382 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by ablahblah

For your config, unless you're a true diehard asus user, EVGA's boards is what most are familiar here, and seem to be pretty dang rock solid...FTW3 supports USB 3.0 and SATA III too...Also, Intel SSDs still beat everything out there. Sure, sandforce drives can beat it, but nothing beat's the stability of Intel SSDs at the moment.

I've read that people have had to RMA this board because of mis-reporting of temps (Newegg).  I've read a couple of reviews on the Asus board that give it very high marks.  I'm just a couple of days away from submitting my order and I had picked the Asus board as well.  I'm really interested in this discussion about the motherboards so I can make a final decision.
Claude
"Strength & Honour"
JAMMER1 View Drop Down

Quote JAMMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 2:41pm
I'm a relative noob when it comes to MB's. I just picked it because it had USB3 and SATA 6gbs.I just need a good board as I'm outfitting it with top of the line parts thats all.The FTW3 is a couple bucks more though. I guess what i need to know would it be worth the couple of bucks down the road?
claude5382 View Drop Down

Quote claude5382 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 2:57pm

I just need a good board as I'm outfitting it with top of the line parts thats all.The FTW3 is a couple bucks more though. I guess what i need to know would it be worth the couple of bucks down the road?

I'm in the same boat you're in.  It's not the $18 bucks difference, it's what will work best for me down the road.  The only thing I know right now is that the Asus board has got stellar reviews and according to reviews I've seen on Newegg is that some people have had to RMA the EVGA board because of erroneous temp readings.  Decisions, decisions, decions. Smile
Claude
"Strength & Honour"
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 1:17am
Neither board provides true SATA 6g/s. It's an emulation that steals power from the PCI rails to work. Can get USB 3.0 on an add on card.

[QUOTE=Dragoonseal]

When the FTW3 costs $100 more than a LE without hardly offering anything the LE doesn't, other than a gimped useless SATA III 6Gb/s emulation, you're betcha I recommend the LE or even the Micro over it. This isn't really the FTW3's fault, it has a decent price, but the LE and Micro are just amazing little boards for their price and the money saved can be put to much better use elsewhere on the rig.

Edited by Cretae - 02 Jul 2010 at 1:35am
Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 3:18am

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Assassin Edition
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (128GB Solid State (By: Corsair Nova Series) (Model: CSSD-V128GB2-BRKT)

The Corsair Nova line has absolutely craptastic small file performance, especially for the price. An Intel SSD has literately 8-10 times better small file performance, so go with either an 80GB or 160GB Intel SSD.

Maybe someone else can chime in with something about it I don't know but honestly despite all the discussions I've seen about it I just can't see any appeal in the Assassin case, or even the HailStorm for that matter. They are just way way too expensive. The HAF 932 and 942 offer better air flow and similar space at a fraction of the cost.

As for USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s boards, ugh. I don't feel like really going over it all again so I'll start off by linking to this thread where I already did. If you just absolutely have to have USB 3.0 for some reason then go for it but don't get any of these boards for the SATA 6Gb/s. It isn't real SATA 6Gb/s, it's a cheap hack method that grabs bandwidth from elsewhere on the motherboard and uses a Marvell controller to make them into SATA ports. The issue is that the Marvell controller just isn't very good at all, it doesn't have nearly the same level of amazing performance or functionality of the normal Intel ICH10R SATA controller. Even if I had some extra SATA 6Gb/s ports magically pop up on my motherboard right now I wouldn't put a SSD anywhere near them.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
JAMMER1 View Drop Down

Quote JAMMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 10:20am
The 932 isnt an option, atleast I cant find it available. The 922 and the X are out. They are not what im looking for, I dont need a case that looks like a 42 Buick radiator...I did bump up to Intel 160 SSD though, seemed a better option all round.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 10:54am
the hailstrom case can be modded to hold a quad and a triple radiator all internal, but I don't know if DS will do this much modding? also the added cost might push the price up enough, where a water cooling case like one of the many mountain mods, might start to be near the same price?

Could not agree more about the HAF looks.. lol
 Post Reply Post Reply