FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chance to buy a high end gaming machine

Post Date: 2018-09-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Redrockutah View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Redrockutah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Chance to buy a high end gaming machine
    Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 12:31am
Budget:
Got money to spend

Expectations:
High end gaming machine

Usage:
heavy gaming

I'm looking at configuring a great high end machine and I'd like to get others opinions. This is the config I currently have been playing around with. Please let me know if it's overkill or what might be changed. Thanks guys.

Specifications:
Configuration Code: 2041082
Total Price with Instant Savings: $10,998.00

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Aventum 3
Exterior Finish: Exotic Paint Finish - Lust Red <br><strong></strong>
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-7980XE Extreme Edition (18-Core) 2.60GHz
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X299-A (ThunderboltEX 3 Compatible) (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair AX1200i (Digitally Controlled Power) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (3TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (Founders Edition) (PRE-ORDER ETA 9/20) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 <br><strong></strong>
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Graphics Cards + CPU) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Red Flexible Tubing + Clear Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Red - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables) <br><strong></strong>
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: Microsoft Office 2016 Home & Student (PC Attach Key PKC Only, No Pre-install) <br><strong></strong>
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Benjamin8 View Drop Down

Quote Benjamin8 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 6:52am
Wow. That's a machine. Three quick points.

For that much hardware I'd upgrade the warranty.
Water cooling the graphics cards and no overclocking? Just for looks?
Independent reviewers have their NDAs lifted on the 17th for the RTX cards.

Quote Redrockutah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 8:53am
I was thinking about the overclocking and I always hear mixed reviews on it. But I have been debating it.

And i've been thinking about the RTX cards as well, it's such unfamiliar ground. I almost wonder if I get 1080s and upgrade once the card has been out awhile.
Benjamin8 View Drop Down

Quote Benjamin8 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 9:29am
I'd call DS for technical advice before pulling the trigger.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 9:58am
Please indulge me for a minute. I completely understand that you have a boatload of money, and you want to spend it. You have not, however, designed a high-end gaming machine. It is rather, a scientific workstation capable of analyzing the quantum drift of various black holes or some such.

Games are specifically designed to run on low-end equipment. It's good business sense because it means the market of gamers who can run your game is huge. For instance, I read recently that 90% of all Steam customers are rocking 4 cores OR LESS. Every game I know of CAN run on a dual core chip. Now that doesn't mean it will run great, but it will run. The high-end gaming CPU right now is the Intel i7 8086k. Six cores, twelve threads, very fast base clock of 4 Ghz (1.4 GHz faster than the 7980XE) and turbos to 5.0 on all cores. PERFECT for gaming.

The RTX2080 Ti is capable of crushing every game on every monitor on ultra settings. If you had two of them, the second one would have absolutely nothing to do for ~$1600.

My view is not to rain on your parade, but to suggest you don't go quite so overboard when the inevitability is that within a year, your monster rig will already be losing ground. Just buy what you need for the premier gaming experience of a lifetime for the next 3-4 years, and have a reserve for upgrades down the line.

I put this suggestion together for you:

Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 2041302

I think I included most of your signature items.

GREAT CPU!!!
I picked the MSI mobo because it's enough, and I like it over Asus.
No gamer needs 64GB of RAM.
One 2080 Ti is plenty probably until heck freezes over.
Can't beat the Samsung 970 Pro 1TB for primary storage and you want Western Digital for secondary.
Chose the 5/3 warranty 'cause it's in the budget.

I may be going in the wrong direction from the bragging rights rig you wanted. but this one will just kill for years to come and it's $5000 less!

Hope it helps.

Oops, forgot the sound card. You don't need it, but if you want it, throw it in there!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 10:03am
That build is awesome but way over what you need for gaming.  If its for bench-marking, a showpiece and you just want the biggest and badest then certainly nothing wrong with that. 

If you want to save a few bucks and get your moneys worth, we need to match the specs to whatever gaming monitors and resolutions you'll be using.  The sli graphics cards are great for 4K monitor and up.  If you'll be gaming on a 1440p , a single card is great.  

The new RTx cards like the 2080ti have the ray tracing feature as a selling point and so far, without the best drivers yet, its showing to be very demanding.  An sli 2080ti like you selected is the way to go for the best in ray tracing on higher resolution screens.  New driver support will probably make the feature less of a resource hog, however.

Gaming doesn't need 64gb ram.  Even 32gb is a bit much.

The 18 core cpu is for productivity and tasks that can actually utilize it.  A 6 core such as the 8700K 8th gen cpu with its higher clock speeds are proven to be the best for gaming.

I would change your primary drive to the 970 pro.  Its a NVME Pcie interface and many times faster than the DS m.2 you picked that's restrictive SATA interface. . Plenty fast for sure, but might as well get the fastest for apps, games, etc. Not all m.2 drives are the same.

I would build from the 8th gen 8700k config and save a bunch of money.  If you want the X series for its quad channel ram, vs dual channel ram of the 8700k, then step down to the 7820 or 7920x cpu.  Gaming just won't utilize the added cores, etc.  Some flight sims do like the added ram bandwidth of the quad channel memory, but most don't care.  All depends what gaming you like.

Hope this helps. Big%20Smile

Cretae has a lot of the same thoughts.  Strong   He types faster.  Big%20Smile

Sli 2080TI might be a lot more beneficial than just matching the cards to the resolution, which is what we usually have done.   Some new features might be changing that..  

Edited by bprat22 - 08 Sep 2018 at 10:06am

Quote Redrockutah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 10:12am
No, this helps a ton. I knew I was going to some extremes, and I was way off the mark. That's why I came to this forum to get some veteran advice. I went on a high and now i'm coming down off it, I really like this config you have and it doesn't completely break the bank. Thank you so much for your help, I am really considering this config.

Originally posted by Cretae

Please indulge me for a minute. I completely understand that you have a boatload of money, and you want to spend it. You have not, however, designed a high-end gaming machine. It is rather, a scientific workstation capable of analyzing the quantum drift of various black holes or some such.

Games are specifically designed to run on low-end equipment. It's good business sense because it means the market of gamers who can run your game is huge. For instance, I read recently that 90% of all Steam customers are rocking 4 cores OR LESS. Every game I know of CAN run on a dual core chip. Now that doesn't mean it will run great, but it will run. The high-end gaming CPU right now is the Intel i7 8086k. Six cores, twelve threads, very fast base clock of 4 Ghz (1.4 GHz faster than the 7980XE) and turbos to 5.0 on all cores. PERFECT for gaming.

The RTX2080 Ti is capable of crushing every game on every monitor on ultra settings. If you had two of them, the second one would have absolutely nothing to do for ~$1600.

My view is not to rain on your parade, but to suggest you don't go quite so overboard when the inevitability is that within a year, your monster rig will already be losing ground. Just buy what you need for the premier gaming experience of a lifetime for the next 3-4 years, and have a reserve for upgrades down the line.

I put this suggestion together for you:

Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 2041302

I think I included most of your signature items.

GREAT CPU!!!
I picked the MSI mobo because it's enough, and I like it over Asus.
No gamer needs 64GB of RAM.
One 2080 Ti is plenty probably until heck freezes over.
Can't beat the Samsung 970 Pro 1TB for primary storage and you want Western Digital for secondary.
Chose the 5/3 warranty 'cause it's in the budget.

I may be going in the wrong direction from the bragging rights rig you wanted. but this one will just kill for years to come and it's $5000 less!

Hope it helps.

Oops, forgot the sound card. You don't need it, but if you want it, throw it in there!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 10:18am
I'm pleased you were receptive. I'm all about best bang for buck, but I don't wanna be a grouch!

Edited by Cretae - 08 Sep 2018 at 10:18am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 2:03am
Just to add my 2 cents worth;
Don't go HDD for secondary storage. Such a machine should only have SSDs. Go with the Samsung 860 Evo, either 2 or 4 TB.

The 8086 chip is a limited edition cpu put out by INTL for celebrating the 40th anniversary of the chip series. Go with that one if still available. It will oc better.

The Asus Max X Formula is their top of the line for that chip. Very good mobo. Your preference.

No need for a sound card unless you have audiophile equip attached to your pc. The mobo audio is very good nowadays.

Enjoy. It is a brute of a machine. Be aware that the latest info is that the Aventum X is coming out in a few months. If not in a hurry.......

Keep us posted. Big%20Smile

Edit: arranged sentences.Oops

Edited by hoserator - 09 Sep 2018 at 2:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply