FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chrome/IE not loading websites

Post Date: 2012-09-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
timmerfree View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote timmerfree Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Chrome/IE not loading websites
    Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 9:21am
Hi everyone,

So just yesterday I got back from my classes and I opened up my laptop and for some reason Google Chrome won't load certain websites that I often go on. It won't load facebook, espn, reddit; I tried going over to Internet Explorer and they still wouldn't load on that browser. I also tried to update/reinstall flash player in the case that my flash player had crashed and it is still not loading. Earlier in the morning all the websites were working perfectly fine. I have no idea what else I can do to try and fix it. Has anyone else run into the problem or know a solution to it?

Thanks for the help in advance.

ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 10:28am
have you tried going to settings, advanced settings and under privacy setting uncheck everything except the malware protection and under the password and forms. See if it does anything.

Quote timmerfree Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 10:43am
Yeah I tried that, the websites still don't load. On the tab at the top it just has the loading circle constantly turning and a blank webpage.
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 11:39am
Hi timmerfree,

I am not sure if this your problem but GoDaddy, which hosts millions of websites, got hit by a hacker yesterday and they servers were down.   If everything is working today then that could have been the issue.  If things are still not working then it is something else. 
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

Quote timmerfree Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 11:44am
its something wrong with the software on this computer, because when I get on chrome with my macbook pro, all the websites that don't work on this laptop, work on my mac. I just don't know what it is and I was hoping someone might have a solution to my problem or someone else experienced the same thing.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 11:56am
A long shot, but go to Tools,  Manage Addons and try disabling all or some of them one at  a time to see if it helps.  
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 12:38pm
Since you said you cannot access the Internet and both Chrome and IE, I think the issue is network  related or possibly a virus.

First thing I would do is boot up with networking in Safe Mode and see if you can access the Internet.

Also, what AV are you running. Sometimes an AV update will cause that problem. Norton used to be nortorious for that issue. Also, run a full scan with your AV to see if you picked up a baddie that managed to kill your access. Assuming it's not a virus, have you tried to System Restore back a few days to see if some automatic update to one of your apps killed the network.

Because both your browsers won't access tells me the issue is something other than a browser.

Hope you get it fixed.

Edited by Bobby - 11 Sep 2012 at 12:44pm

Quote timmerfree Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 3:48pm
Sorry I wasn't clear, but its just specific websites that don't load, I can load google, gmail, etc. but just certain websites don't load. Thanks for the help though.

Quote timmerfree Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 4:10pm
This is what my espn site looks like for anyone one that can possibly help me. When I click the hyperlinks they don't bring me anywhere either.

Thanks for the help.

Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 4:44pm
oh yeah.....that's familiar. Happens if there is a network issue, either with your own network or your ISP. Sometimes that will happen if you run out of memory but it doesn't sound like it.

Take your laptop to school or a coffee shop...anywhere else you can try to access the iInternet through another connection. If the pages load properly, I'd check your network or see if your ISP is having connectivity issues.

If it does it on an ethernet connection....probably the ISP having issues. If it's on a wireless, maybe to much interference from someone who just installed a wireless router on the same chaannel near you.You can download inSSIDer free which will tell you about all the connections around you and if your signal is being buried: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Let us know if any of this helps.
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 4:48pm
Also...I see Skype running on your taskbar. Try shutting down Skype, reboot to clear RAM, the try the websites again. Skype running in the background at the same time may draw to much bandwidth, or even RAM memory.

Quote timmerfree Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 5:15pm
So I am school right now and our school's wifi is really the only thing that we can use to access the internet (they don't allow any wireless routers), but I do know that sites like espn.com, facebook.com, and reddit.com do work because they load on my roommates computer which is on the same wifi as this laptop is. As far as rebooting, I just rebooted and before rebooting Facebook was actually working but now it doesn't work anymore along with espn and reddit. I really don't know what to do seeing as I am not that good with the technicals of computers. This is what I am getting for the three sites that I have notices don't work properly as of now. Sorry for being such a pain about this but I'd rather try and get it fixed now than later (A guy needs his espn updates)

Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 5:34pm
You might try clearing the cache and cookies. You can do that manually through Internet Options or you can download CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
Take the free option and go slow during the install. By that, I mean, during the install process the installer will ask if you want to install some toolbar...I forgot which one....just uncheck it and proceed. After you install it, go to Options on left, Advanced tab next, then uncheck all the boxes except Skip User Account Control warning. Check that one so you won't get the nag.
Then go to Cleaner and at the bottom right, hit Run Cleaner. Do that for Windows and again for the Applications tab.

Unless you're comfortable, I'd leave the Resgistry cleaner alone. It's usually safe but you never know. The Cleaner part will not screw up your machine....the Registry part always has that possibility.

Reboot, then try loading your websites again. What this is doing is clearing the Temportary Internet Files and the cache, along with History. That may be what's messing up the pages as they are trying to resolve.themselves for viewing

Let us know if that helps.

Edited by Bobby - 11 Sep 2012 at 5:36pm

Quote timmerfree Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 6:00pm
So facebook works, but espn and reddit still don't.
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 6:03pm
That would explain why a lot of my frequented websites were down damn hackers lol
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 6:18pm
If none of that has worked you may have to flush the DNS cache. This is a desperate last thought. If it still happens, I'd be banging my head against the wall. Like I said in another thread....network issues make me reach for the aspirin sooner than any other issues.

Click on ‘Start’ --> ‘All Programs’ --> ‘Accessories’. Right-click on ‘Command Prompt’. Select ‘Run as Administrator’.

Type the following within the command prompt: ipconfig /flushdns.

Wait for the message to appear:

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 6:37pm
I just noticed....it's hard to see....there is a forward slash  /  between ipconfig and flushdns

Quote timmerfree Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 7:41pm
Yeah unfortunately that didn't work either. So I guess I'm just out of luck, thanks for your help Bobby. I really do appreciate the help/time you put into helping me.

Quote timmerfree Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 7:58pm
Ok so I just figured out it has to do with my wireless connection because when i direct connected it with an ethernet. all the websites loaded.
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 8:56pm
Good....install that utility inSSIDer I posted above and look to see if your signal is being buried by another. If so, get into your router and change the channel.
Most routers come on default channel 6 and, because of overlap, you might want to move to either channel 1 or 11. In the attached pic, my router is BobbyJo and because I live in an apartment building, you can see I needed to use channel 11 otherwise I had the same problem you are having now. To make it clear I had to make it wide. Scroll the bottom of this post to move the picture over

Edited by Bobby - 11 Sep 2012 at 9:01pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 10:00pm
I have to say that you guys all have done a great job to help. I'm impressed.

Quote timmerfree Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 4:03pm
So I went to my tech support office for my university and I don't know what they exactly did to the wireless connection and they don't really know the cause of my wireless not loading websites properly but it now loads all the sites quickly and properly.

I agree with Alex, thank you everyone who has offered advice and their help in order to try and solve my problem, especially Bobby, thank you for all the time that you spent trying to fix this issue.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 4:26pm
Glad to hear it's been resolved.
 Post Reply Post Reply