Classic 50's and 60's TV Commercials

Post Date: 2022-02-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Classic 50's and 60's TV Commercials
    Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 8:25pm
I grew up in the 50's & 60's and this excellent collection of TV commercials reminded me of sitting in front of the TV as a kid. It was a tiny Black & White set with Rabbit Ears that needed aluminum foil to get the distant stations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtLVPVGZvsE

I decided to put up this collection of old school TV commercials on my YouTube channel "Ken Wigger". Enjoy especially if you will be 70 in a few months like me! :-)

Since I got my new Digital Storm computer a few months ago I have gone crazy making YouTube videos with it. I think I am up to 75 by now.

Mostly just what catches my fancy at the time from racing cars in Forza Horizon, Call Of Duty Play, even my own greatest Poems. Stop by and I hope you won't be bored! :-)

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 9:57pm
Wow, at 72, did that bring back long dormant memories.       Tiny tv screen in a big box was state of the art. Remember going to the local pharmacy to test and buy new vacuum tubes when problems cropped up.

Thanks, I’ll check out your game plays, especially COD, after some sleep.

Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 11:08pm
bprat22,

I have been a Extra Class ham radio operator WD9GNG for almost 50 years. When I was a kid I used to love to mess around with radios & TVs. Had my own tube tester back in the day. Like you I remember the tube testers in the pharmacy that allowed you test tubes and they had spares there.

Oh sometimes I miss the good old days.

I worked in the assembly & service section maintaining HAWK missiles when I was in the Army. My first love has always been electronics but ended up retiring as a computer geek a System Administrator for Boeing.

Thank you for stopping by my YouTube channel. Basically I am just learning how to do the stuff and one of these days when it gets warmer I will try to do some local scenic travel in the St. Louis area.

Edited by Onkel_Ken - 27 Feb 2022 at 11:08pm
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 1:04am
Not sure if you remember the days of Heathkit electronics. I use to buy and build kits for radios, stereos, speakers, metal detectors, etc.    Building from the component level up was great.   Old days of the transistor, diode, resistor and so on.   Went on to NAND, NOR, OR gates when I field serviced call director type phone systems then high speed duplicators at Xerox.    

Nowadays it’s mainly a throwaway culture, all the components on a sub miniature level.   Not complaining, the increase in computing power, reliability and keeping costs reasonable is a huge plus.

Nice sharing with you, Ken, and I’ll be checking your stuff out.

Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 2:33am
bprat22,

I definitely remember Heathkit. I built several of their ham radios and one of their oscilloscopes back in the day. I bought two magnetic loop antennas from Larry Plummer W6LVP the former president of Heathkit computer division a couple years ago.

My wife made me get rid of my tube collection and my collection of old radios like Atwater Kents from the 30's. I still have thousands of transistors, resistors, inductors, capacitors, ICs etc. But I don't build or repair stuff much anymore.

It was easier back with point to point wiring or even wire wrap before the development of multi-layer circuit boards and chip parts that are surface mounted.

I miss my early days using time domain reflectometers, O-scopes, and bench test equipment to analyze issues in the computer centers. One of big projects was migrating McDonnell Douglas Canada's processing from their data center in Mississauga to St. Louis. It was all IBM local controllers there which I replaced with Token Ring controllers rerouting the data traffic. I then decommissioned the Canadian data center.

When I started in the data center at McDonnell Douglas in 1979 it was mostly IBM with some CDC. Rows and rows of dial up modems like 103 & 212 in 100 line hunt groups. We also bought raw national lines from AT&T and would have equalizers that had to be tuned every time there was weather issues across the us. 20 knobs and a meter that you tuned to null. :-) Time Division & Frequency Division multiplexers were used along with statistical TDM.

I installed a couple large satellite Earth stations, one at Wright Patterson AFB for video-conferencing for example.

I enjoyed bench and field work but the longer I stayed in the field everything became throw away boxes. I transitioned to coordinating infrastructure installation then eventually to System Administration over the years.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 11:14am
Whoa
WOW, that's some really interesting journey. Awesome Congrats.

Edited by hoserator - 28 Feb 2022 at 11:14am
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 11:57am
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 6:37pm
Loved the video.

TWA commercial. In the 1960s you dressed up to take a "jet". They served hot meals. The stewardesses didn't have to worry about people beating them up or worse.

I remember the Colt 45 in a wine glass.   

Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 7:31pm
I also added 2 more old school ads videos.

Classic TV Ads From The Golden Days!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3dpvym1RY8

Cinema and Drive-In Snack Bar Ads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhbpuRw2TUg

I remember those green spiral PIC mosquito repellents and the scratchy speakers hanging on the car window.

I have stuck a lot of videos up over the last month. I think I have 100 up on my YouTube channel "Ken Wigger".

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCswND9nLwUiz3cAclFKHPMw

Must be my OCD paying off for me.

Post Reply Post Reply