Cloud-based GPU hosting

Post Date: 2011-08-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Cloud-based GPU hosting
    Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 12:38am
I knew this day would come eventually...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/08/nvidias-project-maximus-takes-multi-gpu-mainstream-virtual-gr/

The idea I'm pretty sure is to just allocate a large mass of GPUs on a server unit, and dedicate those GPUs to being fed work information over an internet connection and relaying them back to the requesting computer unit. If this concept gets big, then the home PC really is dead, since (speaking in current terms for reference) pretty much a Galaxy Tab will be able to display essentially the same graphical performance that a GTX 570 can. Of course, professional workstations I'd think might still have a chance, but home computing, I dunno anymore.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 12:53am
Ugh, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, I don't know why people keep trying to say stuff like that lately.

Cloud gaming will never happen (be popular) any time in the foreseeable future. The server you're connected to could have all the GPU power in the world and it won't matter, because:

1) Input lag. You do something and you have to wait for your command to reach the server and then come round trip back to you before you see it, that's an easy half a second delay even with a good connection. Good luck playing anything that isn't turn based like that.
2) Bandwidth. Have fun streaming a 1920x1200@60Hz video feed, let alone anything more demanding.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 1:45am
Dragoon is correct, also do you know how many servers and gpus you would need to host all the people that want to connect and support their play, not to mention their settings.

also I like a bigger screen then a what these tablets have.

Cloud-based anything is just foolish IMHO.

Edited by DST4ME - 10 Aug 2011 at 1:46am
JStones View Drop Down

Quote JStones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 5:57am
I see this being used for other applications, not gaming.  Gaming has to be fluid and shouldnt have lag like already said, but for workstations where a heavy file might make maya run at the equivolent of .05 frames a sec and have input lag measured by minutes because even the most powerful graphics card cannot handle the load, having something like this where I will potentially only have network lag, and display closer to 30fps and have a second or so of lag has the potential to save a large studio millions in productivity costs.  I wont get into why some of us are forced to start with such heavy files but just know its common.

I picture an on site cluster, maybe a cluster for every 20 or so artists and as long as the studio has a network with wiring that can handle the load this would be a dream.

Films continuously push how much more detail is used, and whereas the gaming industry has really powerful engines, programs such as maya are still using opengl 2.0 which is six years old.  Now this is a software issue but seeing as how autodesk doesnt seem to care we have to get our improvements with hardware.  I know there's viewport 2.0, but its a pile of crap and not production ready in the least, but I digress. 

I think this tech has its place in the here and now, just not in games.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 2:08am
Biggest problems with it is security.
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 12:28pm
As is with anything cloud based at the moment. This was actually done in an iphone app a while ago. It was a browser that had flash and rendered the flash on a server remotely and streamed it to the phone. Good concept but it didn't work. All flash apps got less than 5 fps. The problem is the servers need a huge upload speed to handle demand. Users need high download speed and a fast yet strong compression format needs to be made. I mean a min of 1080pit is 1gbthe uncompressed. That's a lot to download.
Steam:pcmaster160
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 12:57pm
this already happens and its called onlive. I suppose its a cool idea but the average speed of internet in the united states is super slow and not up to the task, latency is another issue.
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 1:17pm
oh thats what onlive is! ive seen the youtube ad but never payed attention.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 5:32pm
At the moment, I don't except this tech will be able to do anything worthwhile with current networking speeds, so for sure desktops won't be going anywhere soon. If network speeds get to a point where they can support on-demand processing practically though, it just goes to show that someone has the idea.

I'm against cloud anything as well at the moment given security issues and the idea of not having everything available locally to me, yet with the amount of tech that's being pushed cloudwise, it's starting to worry me.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by ablahblah

I'm against cloud anything as well at the moment given security issues and the idea of not having everything available locally to me, yet with the amount of tech that's being pushed cloudwise, it's starting to worry me.

Agreed! I don't like the idea of everyone else having my data. like with lastpass for passwords (which is one of the worst ideas) online backups. I like to be able to access them whenever not depending on if one companies servers are up or not. I guess this also goes into the point of one flat fee over a small monthly fee.
 Post Reply Post Reply