FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CNC Computer

Post Date: 2010-06-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
erikgem View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote erikgem Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: CNC Computer
    Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 9:25pm
I hope I can get some help here even though I am not a gamer. The last game I tried to play was Myst on a 286 computer. It crashed most of the time. I do CNC designing and rendering of jewelry. My ASUS G1S just burned up and I need a replacement. Looking for a desktop this time.  My program, Rhino-Matrix needs Nvidia. Will not work with ATI.  My questions: Should I get HAF 932 or 922 (or something else).  Is the factory cooling enough for what I am building. Should I have this overclocked. I am worrying about stability with my programs. I need a lot of USB ports because several of my programs require me to have dongles hanging on my computer. I think I saw somewhere that there is a plate that attaches to the back of this board to connect more ports. This is what I have arrived at so far after reading a lot of your posts on this forum.

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (2TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Optical Drive 1: DVD�R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: Standard Factory Heat-sink and Fan
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)

Dave Anderson
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 10:24pm
The EVGA LE has a total of 12 USB ports. The board itself has 8 connections in the back of the case, and 4 more on the board, but I believe DS connects those to access ports in the front/top of the case itself. If you need more, you can get a USB "hub" at any computer outlet/Best Buy for under $20. It's like an extension cord, you plug it in to a USB port, and it has a number of ports on it that you can now plug into. You have plenty of power supply to do that.

I would recommend a smaller main drive for your OS. You have to manage that drive (clone/backup, defrag, etc.) 1T would be better. You should limit your main drive to half full, because it's performance drops off pretty rapidly after half full. Then if you want more storage, you can get another 1 T or even another 2 T as HDD #2.
As for overclock, you may not need one, but it's what DS specializes in, they will not OC your processor beyond stability, they warrant it, and it's free. If you get that, and I recommend you do, you should get the Noctua Dual 120 MM air cooler.
The HAF 932 case is the best aircooled case here.
That's as far as my expertise extends to your build for your usage. I will add that I believe I have heard from others that more RAM would be useful for rendering. However, if that's not in the budget, rest assured 6g is a LOT, and even if it's not optimal, will serve you very well.

Select the free game option and try it out. I guarantee this rig will not crash!  Cool
Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 10:37pm
Doing CNC/AutoCAD? A workstation PC might fare better, since I'm guessing that it'll be your main business for the PC. If not, well, GTX 4 series cards made by nVidia have a ridiculous power usage rating, just to take into consideration. ATI's 58 series (5850, 5870) have equal performance, but not as much power usage.

My personal choice for hard drives is to have one, small, fast drive for the operating system, and having a couple of large drives for everything else. Just so that nothing related to data can drag down your OS.

Moving on to overclocking. Stock cooling and overclocking work, but they don't work that well, I know from experience. Upgrade to a better cooling option, and nab the free overclocking, just so you can get the settings. To fully optimize this, this one of the times where I might possibly suggest an ASUS board, since pretty much all of them come with softclocking software installed. Either that, or find an EVGA board that specifically supports their overclocking software, E-L33T. Softclocking is when you modify the processor's voltage, etc., and essentially do overclocking in Windows itself, while the machine is still running. The reason why I recommend this is so you will have the ability to apply the overclocking settings you received whenever you want, more speed with the potential for less stability, or complete stability while doing a very very critical task. DS's overclock is very stable, but I don't take chances.

For USB Ports, yes, most motherboards usually come with a small bracket that you can attach to the headers on the motherboard. One header = 2 USB ports. Usually though, there are some PCI chips that can just turn a PCI slot into around 5 ports. Or, like Cretae suggested, you can get a USB hub. USB Hub's I never understood though, USB 2.0 has a limited data transfer bandwidth, technically, if you had enough data going through it, the bandwidth can be maxed out.

Edited by ablahblah - 17 Jun 2010 at 10:21am
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
erikgem View Drop Down

Quote erikgem Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 12:10pm
Thanks guys for the help.  I'll change my drive and get some cooling.  Can't consider other graphics because my CAD program depends upon the open gl support from Nvidia.  ATI cards do not do a satisfactory job with the program.  I won't have a bandwidth problem with USB because it is mostly a matter of dongles which are only used to validate the registration when the program opens. They just need a place to stay so I don't have to put them in each time I start the program. As for ram, up til now I have been using 2 g and a GT 8800 and it has worked. I'll see how it goes with 6.
Dave Anderson
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 2:09pm
This system will smoke what you're used to. Truly, you'll be surprised. Especially with the OC. DS pushed mine past 2 chip upgrades and it's solid as a rock at 3.81gHz. That's not really "pushing" this chip BTW, they'll do 4.5. The i7 900's are phenomenal. Good luck!!  Cool
Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....
 Post Reply Post Reply